Aldrich replacement

chris lykins

So yet another pickup question on the forum. I have a suhr modern very similar to Yngza, limba body, pau ferro neck, ebony board. I really like the clean sound but through the drive channels on my Shiva 20th there's a high mid spike that doesn't get softened that much by the tone knob. Its like the frequency is at the top of the high mids rather than the true treble. I also think it could benefit from a little more bass response in this guitar. Since the bogner has plenty of preamp gain if needed, I don't think a super hot pickup is necessary. For example I think my Gibson classic 57s sound great in my Elliot Easton tikibird. I'm open to all suggestions, boutique or otherwise!

The Aldrich pickups are superb. I have been a set of SSV's pickups in one of my strats for a couple of years, and recently picked up an Aldrich set for another strat. I also have a Shiva 20th. I like the sounds I'm getting, and I love the upper midrange it provides. Compared to the SSV, a bit warmer, more low end, more compression, less glassy, but still great cleans too. All the Suhr humbuckers pretty much have the high upper mid thing, but some are more compressed and warmer than others. The DSH+ might do something for you if you want to stick with Suhr, but not sure if it will completely eliminate what you're hearing. I wonder what kind of amp settings and speaker you're using.

Try some Sozo caps in your guitar. Maybe you should Bareknuckle Abraxas or the Crawler. The Abraxas might be more like Suhr pickups, and the Crawler will be a little hotter with more low end. Both are Alnico so they won't be like the Ceramic stuff. However, I have a set of Teslas which don't have a lot of low end, but the Shiva 20th has a ton, so I'd rely more on the amp and speakers for low end than pickups.

First thing you should try though, and it will only cost you a few bucks, is buy some Alnico V magnets on Ebay. The Magnets used in Suhr Aldrich are a different composite, supposed to be more vintage or something like that. Pick up an A2 or A4 magnet if you want to experiment a bit. A2 will be a bit warmer, slightly looser low end, maybe slightly lower output. A4 will have more A5-like low end, but no high end spike. A4 is generally more balanced. One last thing is the A5 comes roughcast and polished. The differences are hardly audible, but not negligible. The roughcast magnets have a more vintage vibe. There is also something call UOA5 which is unoriented, but I don't really like it that much. Some people think it's more vintage, and would probably match closest with the special composit magnets Suhr uses, but to me it just lacks balls or something.

Don't forget that suhr offers the DHS pickups. They sound like they may fit your bill. If you contact Suhr they will help you out.

I didn't like the Adrich's much either. Tried them in two different guitars. No bottom end. I went in the other direction and tried the DiMarzio 36th ann PAF. Very nice balanced output. Much more bottom end then the Aldrich. Have them in three guitars now and haven't been looking for anything else...

rcm78":379eg3he said:
I didn't like the Adrich's much either. Tried them in two different guitars. No bottom end. I went in the other direction and tried the DiMarzio 36th ann PAF. Very nice balanced output. Much more bottom end then the Aldrich. Have them in three guitars now and haven't been looking for anything else...

Sorry, this is not true. You could say the Seymour Duncan JB, being one of the most common pickups, has a fair low end which I'd consider in the moderate range. The Aldrich, in comparison, seems to have a tad bit more low end. That would make the Aldrich a moderate low end pickup. To say it has no bottom end is just way off.

I'm a huge Dimarzio fan and own a set of PAF 36th. They're not bottom heavy pickups, and I'd also classify those in the moderate low end category. The PAF 36th has low end than my Air Zone and Norton, and I'd say the Aldrich are comparable in low end. There has to be something wrong in your wiring or your pickups are somehow defective because that doesn't match the Aldrich pickups I have in my strat right now. If you said "tight" or "moderate" low end, then I could agree with that.

No bottom end?? I have an Aldrich in a few of my guitars and all have plenty bottom end... this one being one of them... killer pups....The best pup for my liking is the Gibson 500T i also have that one in a few of my guitars and to me is the best pickup i ever tried...That is one badass pup :rock:

chris lykins":12zx6iij said:
So yet another pickup question on the forum. I have a suhr modern very similar to Yngza, limba body, pau ferro neck, ebony board. I really like the clean sound but through the drive channels on my Shiva 20th there's a high mid spike that doesn't get softened that much by the tone knob. Its like the frequency is at the top of the high mids rather than the true treble. I also think it could benefit from a little more bass response in this guitar. Since the bogner has plenty of preamp gain if needed, I don't think a super hot pickup is necessary. For example I think my Gibson classic 57s sound great in my Elliot Easton tikibird. I'm open to all suggestions, boutique or otherwise!

I would try the Bareknuckle Black Dog with that set up if you aren't looking for really hot. That pickup definitely provides the dynamics you mention and appear to want/need in spades. I also can't recommend the Rebel Yells's enough either. Either of those would work incredibly well in that guitar for your needs. Good luck!

If you want to stick with Suhr pickups, the DSH or DSH+ would fatten up you guitar nicely. The Bare Knuckle Holy Diver set is also nice for fattening up a guitar.

I had the same problem with my Suhr Tiger 80's and the good thing you can check the Dimarzio Website and see the pickups characteristics you are looking for.
Checked it and the best for me was the Gravity Storm Pickup. So I replaced the Aldrich for it and bullseye!

I have the Aldrich in two of my Les Paul's. The "uncovered" Aldrich in a Les Paul is tough to beat. The "covered" version is a little smoother and slightly less Gain (I have both). That's really what it was designed for (Les Paul's). I've tried standard Suhrs with an Aldrich and remember being underwhelmed.

Duncan Distortion sounds great in bolt on guitars and Les Paul's. Don't rule that pickup out.

SavageRiffer":2pkai0z8 said:
rcm78":2pkai0z8 said:

Sorry, this is not true. You could say the Seymour Duncan JB, being one of the most common pickups, has a fair low end which I'd consider in the moderate range. The Aldrich, in comparison, seems to have a tad bit more low end. That would make the Aldrich a moderate low end pickup. To say it has no bottom end is just way off.

I'm a huge Dimarzio fan and own a set of PAF 36th. They're not bottom heavy pickups, and I'd also classify those in the moderate low end category. The PAF 36th has low end than my Air Zone and Norton, and I'd say the Aldrich are comparable in low end. There has to be something wrong in your wiring or your pickups are somehow defective because that doesn't match the Aldrich pickups I have in my strat right now. If you said "tight" or "moderate" low end, then I could agree with that.
My experience is different then yours. Nothing wrong with the wiring. To me the Aldrich lacks low end. The 36th is more balanced. The Air Norton has even more low end.

I depends on the amp. I have been a die hard Aldrich pickup fan for several years. But, they have made me realize that they lack clarity. They are in your face, but not clear if that make sense. I am making the change to ht PAF types, as they still have plenty of gain with my Friedman, but have a lot more clarity and musicality. I also have some thorn bucker/thornbucker+ set on the way.

Back