Alesis Quadraverb Plus Upgrade

glpg80

Bought a mint 1989 Alesis Quadraverb. The original EPROM had a revision of v1.03. I bought a EPROM of version 2.03 which is a flash of the last revision before it was discontinued. It adds a lot of adjustability to chorus effects.

Anyway I figured I’d share as I love this stuff.

4D95D8D7-5F8F-4920-90C1-C57EE2143018.jpeg
82CEF464-2D7B-4AF2-B24D-FAE04A8D0224.jpeg
FFBB860E-349D-4C2E-B85D-A02267F7D322.jpeg
6B495B83-364F-49EA-B55A-D85C80F0FE47.jpeg
88FF8DED-ABEE-4F81-AE23-256F749CB8F3.jpeg
9B02D929-3227-44D1-997D-E09D874D3C3E.jpeg
94C26344-F928-4CEE-807B-1287B482531D.jpeg

I take it that someone is just copying data onto a new eprom and selling them? If so, it’s a good idea. 👍
Yep that’s it. Someone out of Oregon on eBay has a 2.03v read out and is copying/putting them on NOS EPROM chips on an EEPROM programming station. I can’t imagine it’s a very lucrative business model but the chip does obviously work.

Yep that’s it. Someone out of Oregon on eBay has a 2.03v read out and is copying/putting them on NOS EPROM chips on an EEPROM programming station. I can’t imagine it’s a very lucrative business model but the chip does obviously work.
Either way, it's cool. This way people can get an opportunity to update their units. It's not like the company is supporting these products...if they are even still in business.

Thats cool! Ill bet it took that guy a good chunk of time to do it
Wonder if it would work in the Quadraverb GT?

Thats cool! Ill bet it took that guy a good chunk of time to do it
Wonder if it would work in the Quadraverb GT?

You know I’m not sure. I know this is a very common and in demand upgrade for the originals. Finding the EPROMs new or old stock is the hard part.

Mine has a messed up backlight but I will fix it once I get the rack together.

Honestly I wouldn’t say there are many that are better. These old analog chips have a sound to them that modern digital circuits are trying to emulate with more user complexity to the point that the effects have come full circle - just get the originals.

Thanks for linking those screens. I’ll be replacing mine with that once I have my bench cleaned off.

Is the Q20 basically the same as the Quadreverb? I've had one since the late 90s (I think) but I mothballed it for years after gigging only to revive it fairly recently for the Load Box rig.

Last edited:
Is the Q20 basically the same as the Quadreverb? I've had one since the late 90s (I think) but I mothballed it for years after gigging only to revive it fairly recently for the Load Box rig.
You know I don’t know the Alesis lineup all that well. Back in the day I didn’t know you had to get the original quads to get the legendary tones and grabbed a midiverb4 thinking it would sound as good. At the time I had a gmajor and couldn’t really find myself needing to run both so I sold the alesis.

I know that the old midiverb originals can only one one effect at a time and the quadraverb can run 4 effects at once hence their name and original demand in the late 80’s.

You know I don’t know the Alesis lineup all that well. Back in the day I didn’t know you had to get the original quads to get the legendary tones and grabbed a midiverb4 thinking it would sound as good. At the time I had a gmajor and couldn’t really find myself needing to run both so I sold the alesis.

I know that the old midiverb originals can only one one effect at a time and the quadraverb can run 4 effects at once hence their name and original demand in the late 80’s.
The Q20 can run a bunch of effects but at some point the memory can't add more. And it depends on which effects you use because some are more demanding than others.

Back