Alexi Laiho RIP

Big fan (if you hadn’t gathered that already from the username :thumbsup:), mainly of the first three / four albums, really loved the weird amalgamation of genres that he delivered; like 80’s metal, power metal, melodic death metal, and a helping of Yngwie Malmsteen all mixed into a blender to create a signature sound... plenty of imitators, few that came even remotely close to the original.

Clearly he had some major health issues in the recent years - in some of the live footage / photos of him like 2-3 years ago he looked scary thin. The videos from the Bodom After Midnight show a couple months ago seemed.... off to me, like something was going on or he was in a lot of discomfort / pain. :dunno:

My thoughts are with his family... Rest In Peace

i did the same and cut back a lot when one of my friends father died in his 50s basically due to drinking.
Yeah, you can permanently mess up your body with excessive drinking. A family member of mine is a hematologist and they deal with horrible cases on the regular of people that have completely destroyed their body with continual excessive drinking. People in their 30’s/40’s/50’s that basically have chronic liver disease and perpetually at risk of dying.

A friend of mine is at least a 6-pack/12-pack a day type dude and he was in the hospital for 3 week in Jan 2020 after having a bout with gastrointestinal perforation. We have had like 3-4 interventions in the past couple years to no avail :aww:

This is very sad news to start the year.
Many prayers and thoughts out to his family.
Way too young for this to happen.

Big fan (if you hadn’t gathered that already from the username :thumbsup:), mainly of the first three / four albums, really loved the weird amalgamation of genres that he delivered; like 80’s metal, power metal, melodic death metal, and a helping of Yngwie Malmsteen all mixed into a blender to create a signature sound... plenty of imitators, few that came even remotely close to the original.

Clearly he had some major health issues in the recent years - in some of the live footage / photos of him like 2-3 years ago he looked scary thin. The videos from the Bodom After Midnight show a couple months ago seemed.... off to me, like something was going on or he was in a lot of discomfort / pain. :dunno:

My thoughts are with his family... Rest In Peace

You can clearly see that he's not well on this one...

I saw an interview picture of him without eyeliner or makeup on a few months ago, and text some friends saying something was up, cuz he looked like Mick Mars. I said he looked in his 60's.

Dont forget about the band Sinergy. He was basically writing and performing with two bands at the same time and all of the songs were different. Guy was a complete monster. I'm really bummed out by this...at least I got to see him pay a few times. I remember for an encore he asked us what we would rather hear... one of his songs or Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer. Everyone wanted Bodom and he wanted to play Bon Jovi. :hys:

Dont forget about the band Sinergy. He was basically writing and performing with two bands at the same time and all of the songs were different. Guy was a complete monster. I'm really bummed out by this...at least I got to see him pay a few times. I remember for an encore he asked us what we would rather hear... one of his songs or Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer. Everyone wanted Bodom and he wanted to play Bon Jovi. :hys:

He was a big '80s metal fan and he it showed in his playing, style, and music. Big loss to the metal music community. He will be missed.

I saw an interview picture of him without eyeliner or makeup on a few months ago, and text some friends saying something was up, cuz he looked like Mick Mars. I said he looked in his 60's.

Ya I've definitely seen pics where the Mick Mars resemblance was pretty uncanny :(

Geez I posted this thread at 3:20am, when my nephew text me the news. I had insomnia stressed. Had to put my 13yr old Chocolate Lab down today after discussing options with the vet after was discovered she had a heart murmur this weekend. Today has been a real frickin bummer.

I was introduced to COB when I spent a semester at Green Mountain College in VT. There was a dry dorm and I had a lot of straight edge friends who lived there and were into metal. This one dude (I can’t remember his name) said Bodom was “folk metal”, a term I’d never heard of before. Now, I wasn’t a fan of the screaming, but good-god, Alexi could F’n shred!! I saw Bodom twice. Once at an ozzfest/mayhem fest and once I forget what club. But their mosh pit was great and unlike some other metal bands who weren’t great live, Bodom was AWESOME!

My condolences to his friends and family.

Sad...

Seems like there is more to this story than is being told. Regardless, far too young to pass away.

So sad, big influence. Great player, great tone. Great metal image. A true metal virtuoso of the modern era. His rhythm ability lead ability and vocals...just outstanding. He ranks right up there with Dime in skill and pure legendary status.

Not a huge fan but did think they were a fantastic band and him an awesome player. The age is a big bummer. I can only assume as most of you have that long term booze use might have affected the organs and maybe opened him to other illnesses. They love their booze in some of these northern european countries but hell, if you only get a few short hours of sun during the winter months, that can affect you and Finland gets hit hard in that regard.

i got my old band to cover six pounder when we opened for In Flames/Lacuna Coil/The Sword in 06. Its got the easiest solo, and least amount of keyboards. plus if you no how to play Rise by pantera, then you already have the main riff down :) I don't think i did the WORST job on the solos, but they're not perfect. myself and the singer were both pretty hardcore drinkers for 20 years too, so you better believe we were sauced when we were up there. all those "the drinking damage was done" comments are not giving me good vibes :(

One of my all time favorite musicians and one of the main reasons I started playing guitar. RIP Alexi. ⚡

Write, that really sucks. I was a huge COB fan for many years, still listen, just not as much as I used to. Just no words, such a shame.

Back