Amp opinions needed - Mesa vs EVH

krb813

I have access to a used Mesa Triple Crown 50 vs. a new EVH 50w Stealth. What are your guys opinions? I can try out the TC50 but I have been looking at the Stealth as well. I would have to buy the EVH online without playing it.

Thanks in advance.

The new EVH actually sound pretty good in the band, I was impressed. Regardless of how they sound the feel of the build quality, especially against a Mesa, is cheap.

Keep in mind with the TC, it's similar to the Badlander in that it has no bottom end compared to what we're used to with Mesas.

I put these together recently FWIW.

I like the triple crown better.

But I don't like Mesa Boogie in general, so take that with a grain of salt.

I should add that I don’t gig. I’m an at-home player only. As much as I want a 100w amp. It would be overkill for home use or playing music with friends.

I should add that I don’t gig. I’m an at-home player only. As much as I want a 100w amp. It would be overkill for home use or playing music with friends.
I wouldn’t think of a 100w amp as too much, I would think of it in terms of the typical differences between a 100w and 50w amp. The 100w will sound bigger and have more punch and only be 3dB louder. If you have a good master volume, the 3dB is easily overcome. The 50w will typically have more snarl to the sound.

The 50w does offer you more options for speakers in a 212 and is cheaper to retube, but for all put sound for me it’s a 100watt every time.

I’ve heard the TC50 does not have a lot of low end. Do any of you think a EQ will help with that?
Yes.

Although I've read more than one report of the TC loop sucking excessive tone. I've only played one in a store so I can't say for sure if that's true. Can anyone else chime in on this?

Hello, I like to play some Rush, Judas Priest, Van Halen and some Blues. So, a little bit of everything.
In that case I'd suggest a couple things that might be better choices for you.

- Check out the Soldano SLO 30. Super creamy lead tone & great for big open chording.
- I'm selling a really nice Dual Rec Tremoverb right now (The cream one in my vid above) (it has a blues channel!), and they are easy to set up to run 50W mode if that's what you prefer. It has a world class clean tone plus a lead tone that's shockingly good for a Recto.

Either would blow away a TC or a Badlander, IMO, for what you're looking to do. To me the EVH are great for metal bands that are playing live, or recording, but for home solo play the Mesas (and SLO) have far better feels.

I've played some EVHs of various flavors and I own a Recto but like GJgo is saying don't keep your options so limited. I know the amp hunt though and the hardest part is narrowing it down to 2 or 3 when deciding. I also wouldn't concern myself on 50 vs 100w. I've migrated to 50 watt amps but only to save on tubes and get power tubes working (not a volume decision). To me, the EVH is a bit looser and probably easier to play then a Recto and certainly a Splawn. I get accused a lot of recommending Splawns :LOL: but they have great tones that are very affordable. Hell, I got my Rectoverb head for $500 at Guitar Center and my Splawn was $1,400 I think 10 years ago so that is two killer amps for under $2K.

In GJgo's second video with his cream Tremoverb, that feels pretty accurate to me representation wise, so with the TC I too would not expect it to sound like a Tremoverb but it is a pretty good EVH vs Recto comparison.

I post these all the time. Shawn from 13 years ago the video that made me want one. And then Derrick from Bushido Code.

Back