Amp opinions needed - Mesa vs EVH

Can you elaborate on why you like the original? It might help me out.
It's a smoother less ice picky sound compared to the Stealth. I guess it depends on the type of music you like to play. I think the original EVH is closer to that 80's VH sound I like so much. Think 1984, Hot For Teacher, Panama, Drop Dead Legs kind of sound. But if you are more a metal, Metalica kind of guy, then the Stealth may be more appropriate for you.

The Mesa sounds thin and nasally.

I had a Splawn SuperSport 6V6 amp years ago that was actually a damn good amp, kind of a Recto / Marshall hybrid. That might be another one to consider. I also had a Nitro that I couldn't sell fast enough, YMMV..

I've played a TC before and it's a great sounding amp, for the classic tones I would prefer that over a stealth, it however can get pretty tight good modern voice with "tight" switch. For modern sounds, detuned I really like the 50w stealth, it's a killer sounding amp.

Orange Terror amps with the headroom/bedroom switch are FANTASTIC bedroom amps for practice. That 1 watt setting crushes with a V30 in a 1x12.

Reactions: Geo
If I’m looking to play some Tremonti music. How do you think the 5150 Stealth will do with that style.
I am sure it would be fine for that. But, there are so many variables to getting your sound. Pickups, speakers, different guitars. It's a good jumping in point if you ask me.

I don't know how long you have been playing but I have been playing for almost 40 years. I own many amps now and have tried/owned almost everything that has ever been. In 40 years you will be probably in the same boat. So jump in and start enjoying.

In my opinion, the TC is best for thrash and leads. It's insanely rich in power section saturation and harmonics, which actually hampers its versatility. It doesn't have that authoritative low-end most modern high gain amps have and it's not going to do the whole chugga chugga thing. If you are looking for over-the-top harmonics with cranked plexi power saturation, it may be for you. But, I don't think most people will find use for it outside of the use cases I mentioned.

I should add that I don’t gig. I’m an at-home player only. As much as I want a 100w amp. It would be overkill for home use or playing music with friends.
Based on that, EVH, all the way. The Mesa will need to be ridiculously loud to sound good, not so much with the EVH.

I don’t do chugs very often. But when I do. The low end is what I’m after. I do like my metal at times. I still have my DSL40CR for classic rock and other things.

I have the new 50 watt stealth and the TC 100. You will get more versatility out of the Mesa and I believe you will get better edge of breakup and rock tones from the Mesa as well. For heavy, saturated metal I would go for the EVH stealth. You get a lot more features on the Mesa TC 100 than you do the 50 so for that alone I would stay away from the Mesa 50 watt version and get a 100. Both amps are great IMO. You get better heavies with the EVH but don't be fooled into thinking the TC can't go there because it easily can. Lamb of God cut records with them and they are tight and heavy. The Mesa is a bit odd at dialing in because certain knobs effect multiple things so you really need to dial with ears over eyes (which is how you should do so anyway but many people don't). For what you say you do playing style wise, I would give the nod to the Mesa.

Heck, if you want a great clean sound and a nice rock sound that can go to Metal and sound convincing in all of those tone types AND SAVE MONEY you may want to look into the PRS MT-15. Best amp in the world for the price and quality of tones across the spectrum in my opinion.

Would a pedal into the TC50 get me closer to the EVH? Something like a Friedman BE-OD Deluxe? I have access to one of those through a friend that is selling one.

Would a pedal into the TC50 get me closer to the EVH? Something like a Friedman BE-OD Deluxe? I have access to one of those through a friend that is selling one.
No. The voicing of the TC is not anywhere in the ballpark. Boosting it would take it even further opposite of the spectrum. The TC is already a very mid-forward tight sounding amp with a ton of compression. Boosting it would probably make it sound like crap. I never even would have considered it when I had my TC100. I don't think you quite understand the character of either amp. You might want to listen to a bunch of clips. These amps are not in the same category character wise.

No. The voicing of the TC is not anywhere in the ballpark. Boosting it would take it even further opposite of the spectrum. The TC is already a very mid-forward tight sounding amp with a ton of compression. Boosting it would probably make it sound like crap. I never even would have considered it when I had my TC100. I don't think you quite understand the character of either amp. You might want to listen to a bunch of clips. These amps are not in the same category character wise.
Sorry for all the questions. I play a lot of different stuff. I’ve been playing for about 8 years. I have a budget of around $1600 and am looking for something aggressive sounding. I have the clean stuff taken care of with my Deluxe Reverb. I have watched a video on YouTube where Kyle Bull compares the TC50 with the EVH Stealth. He was saying the TC was more mid-focused and the EVH with more low end. I’m just trying to spend my money wisely.

Last edited:
Sorry for all the questions. I play a lot of different stuff. I’ve been playing for about 8 years. I have a budget of around $1600 and am looking for something aggressive sounding. I have the clean stuff taken care of with my Deluxe Reverb. I have watched a video on YouTube where Kyle Bull compares the TC50 with the EVH Stealth. He was saying the TC was more mud-focused and the EVH with more low end. I’m just trying to spend my money wisely.
If you were trying to invest wisely, you would take that $1600 and buy yourself a nice Les Paul.

If you were trying to invest wisely, you would take that $1600 and buy yourself a nice Les Paul.
Good idea about the Les Paul that I’m looking at down the road. Just not right now. Mainly looking for another amp that can do the heavy aggressive thing. The TC50 I feel is at a good price that’s being offered to me. But the EVH interests me.

Sorry for all the questions. I play a lot of different stuff. I’ve been playing for about 8 years. I have a budget of around $1600 and am looking for something aggressive sounding. I have the clean stuff taken care of with my Deluxe Reverb. I have watched a video on YouTube where Kyle Bull compares the TC50 with the EVH Stealth. He was saying the TC was more mud-focused and the EVH with more low end. I’m just trying to spend my money wisely.
You mean 'Mid' focused right :LOL:

I would just get some kind of Recto and call it day. You can get all kinds of tones out of them and the Clean channel will give your Deluxe Reverb a run for its money. I run my Single Rec Rectoverb with EL34s and I can play it at lower 'basement' volumes and it sounds killer.

Good idea about the Les Paul that I’m looking at down the road. Just not right now. Mainly looking for another amp that can do the heavy aggressive thing. The TC50 I feel is at a good price that’s being offered to me. But the EVH interests me.
There is something about Mesa that always sounded thin and artificial to me. I think as I get older, I like an amp to sound more like a guitar and less like an effects unit. I need an amp to give me a real sound and then I can build from there.

Back