Amp switching?

dcburn

I ordered a speaker to set up a 1x12 (closed back) I have.
My 2x12 (closed back) runs at 8 ohm so I bought the new speaker (8 ohm) to be able to use in conjunction with the other.
I now may have a Scumback M75PVC 16 ohm for sale?

I run a Metro JTM45 into a Fryette PS2 then to cab. Fryette attenuates and is also my loop.

Question is, can I run a second head, use a switch between the two heads, before the Fryette PS2?
Maybe have one set up clean?

If possible, is there a favorite switcher out there?

Never used two cabs at once, pretty psyched!

Are you trying to get both amplifiers into the PS2 for reamping? Or amp 1 clean by itself through 1 cabinet then toggle to 2nd amp which uses the PS2 exclusively?

I would love to be able to run one at a time, but each able to go thru the PS when in use.

I guess I could just run the one low volume, clean with zero attenuation. The other run thru PS.
But would love the loop of the PS for both amps...

My whole point is that since everything is pretty much on a shelf, reaching behind and plugging cables into different spots, I don't want to make mistakes.
Also, I can be lazy and don't want to switch cables back and forth.

Not to mention making sure the PS is set correctly as in ohms...

Ahh. You need one of them there amp switchy thingies… KHE and the like. There is one that handles a load when the amp is not in use. On your case, I don’t know how they would both go through the ps2 at same time. I think I researched this in the past because I blend heads each with a respective cabinet load. As I recall you would need two separate ps2 units and an a/b box. But there is always another way. Idk

Ahh. You need one of them there amp switchy thingies… KHE and the like. There is one that handles a load when the amp is not in use. On your case, I don’t know how they would both go through the ps2 at same time. I think I researched this in the past because I blend heads each with a respective cabinet load. As I recall you would need two separate ps2 units and an a/b box. But there is always another way. Idk
I was thinking switcher before PS.
Not looking to combine the heads, just the ease of using either one.

I was thinking switcher before PS.
Not looking to combine the heads, just the ease of using either one.
One cabinet per amp? If so then get an AB switcher. Lehle or that radial thing someone was touting the other day. One amp into PS then to its respective cabinet and amp 2 to cabinet 2. And A/B for either clean or Capt. crunch. I’m not sure you need to re-amp a clean into the PS…. Idk. I wouldn’t know why unless there is an inherent clean loud tone in the specific amp at high volume. For AB or ABY you could get a ground loop so the higher dollar ABs can eliminate it. I have Lehle. It is perfect. But there are others as well.

One cabinet per amp? If so then get an AB switcher. Lehle or that radial thing someone was touting the other day. One amp into PS then to its respective cabinet and amp 2 to cabinet 2. And A/B for either clean or Capt. crunch. I’m not sure you need to re-amp a clean into the PS…. Idk. I wouldn’t know why unless there is an inherent clean loud tone in the specific amp at high volume. For AB or ABY you could get a ground loop so the higher dollar ABs can eliminate it. I have Lehle. It is perfect. But there are others as well.
I can run both cabs thru the PS and then my second head would still have use of the time based effects in the loop of the PS.

Basically, Id like to run both cabs with one amp.
Id like to be able to use either head without having to unplug and plug again.

Not trying to attenuate the clean, I am wanting to use the loop of the PS and still use both cabs simultaneously...

Can you switch between heads before the PS?
Probably should just email Fryette...

Radial Bigshot has worked for amp switching well for years for me. You'll need 2 separate cabs with it though. The Radial Headbone will work for 2 amps to one cab, but it sometimes makes crazy noises with high gain amps connected.

Radial Bigshot has worked for amp switching well for years for me. You'll need 2 separate cabs with it though. The Radial Headbone will work for 2 amps to one cab, but it sometimes makes crazy noises with high gain amps connected.
Yeah. I have read somewhere if using effects loop in the amp then into the Radial it can get quirky noises.
If there were a perfect world; I would want multiple heads controlled by an amp switcher that can do none/1/2/3 amps etc. at same time or switch between amp heads individually on the fly. there is one out there like this BUT as I recall it’s not midi or something that made me shy away. It’s why I use the Lehle ABY and split the signal before it goes to the amp heads. The Lehle is not the only one out there that does what I want but it’s quite good for me and can eliminate the ground loops which is why I got it to begin with.
As far is the OP’s question regarding attenuation of the amp into the PS2, I would have assumed you needed two PS2’s (one unit per head) and not one that both heads would feed. I do have a PS100 but never used it like what you ( @dcburn ) are wanting.

Reply from Fryette:

Hey Derek,

Thank you for contacting Fryette Amplification.

Yes, you can use a head switcher with the PS-2. You could also use it to switch cabs. You'd need two switchers to switch both, or one of the more advanced switchers that allows for an "attenuator insert", but those have mixed results with the PS-2 due to ground loop issues.

If you are using the Effects Loop as well, I can't rightly recommend this setup, as you WILL encounter noise and ground loop issues. It is solvable, but it likely will take more than just the switcher (you'll need to transformer isolate some things). It just isn't worth the headache unless you really need it to be set up that way, like in a professional studio application.

Basically, I think you're asking for more trouble than simply plugging and unplugging. It can be done, don't get me wrong, but it isn't going to be easy or cheap. That's down to the nature of the Power Station as a re-amper rather than an attenuator - it introduces additional paths to ground, and that is where the complications come from. Any other re-amping setup would face the same issues.

I hope that answers your question,

Dave

Fryette Amplification

Reply from Fryette:

Hey Derek,

Thank you for contacting Fryette Amplification.

Yes, you can use a head switcher with the PS-2. You could also use it to switch cabs. You'd need two switchers to switch both, or one of the more advanced switchers that allows for an "attenuator insert", but those have mixed results with the PS-2 due to ground loop issues.

If you are using the Effects Loop as well, I can't rightly recommend this setup, as you WILL encounter noise and ground loop issues. It is solvable, but it likely will take more than just the switcher (you'll need to transformer isolate some things). It just isn't worth the headache unless you really need it to be set up that way, like in a professional studio application.

Basically, I think you're asking for more trouble than simply plugging and unplugging. It can be done, don't get me wrong, but it isn't going to be easy or cheap. That's down to the nature of the Power Station as a re-amper rather than an attenuator - it introduces additional paths to ground, and that is where the complications come from. Any other re-amping setup would face the same issues.

I hope that answers your question,

Dave

Fryette Amplification
Ground loops suck ! That is why I started using Lehle A/BY switcher before the amp heads. If you run a 3rd head you will need a p-split (Lehle) to prevent another loop but it is 100% worth it. Again; I don’t know the other a/b/y products well enough to if they can do this But it’s worth a looksie. One of my outs from the Lehle goes to a PS100 which has a fx loop that can be engaged and a boost that can be engaged as well. In my ear; I love my set up. The only downside is a cab is required for each amp.

If you just want to alternate the two amps and not do them together I would try a Radial Headbone between the amps and the amp in on the Fryette. I had my PS-2 in the loop insert of an amp switcher for a while and 1 amp out of 9 gave some weird squeal but to me it was the switcher as best as I could nail it down. Otherwise I had no issues with loops or noise with 8 amps and three cabs and the PS-2 running FX in it’s loop.

Back