Angus Young Marshals converted to MV

Are these artists still using their voodoo sig amps? (I guess Fortis is one of them) Any knowledge on what he was doing to the amps?
Violating his clients trust while exploiting the situation for personal gain for one thing.
Davis is nothing special as far as soldering a circuit.

I’ve had so many JJs go bad, I’m surprised they lasted a show.
It's been hit or miss over the years with JJ EL34 and those 6ca7's. I had a brand new tested quad from Dougs and they were bad from the minute they went in, I replaced them with EH6ca7's and walla sounded great with no issues. I loved the contruction of the JJ's but I think their recent QC sucks and Dave Friedman confirmed that a couple of years ago and he loved JJ's buthe had alot of failures in his amp line.

I think they were a better tube qualitywise circa 2008-2010.

Interesting run through here.. assuming it is older and just posted recently but all those old Marshalls...seemingly converted essentially to JCM800 preamps and then pushed with the Schaeffer. Who would have thunk it.. I always thought that sound was those old amps cranked live.

After all these years and multiple Marshall amps, I have reached the conclusion of pretty much the sum of the parts/tolerances and most of all there is something special about the Marshall transformers from 1967 until about 1979. Now I'm sure there are a few dogs here and there and I know some guys still swear by the 81-85 JCM800's. Michael Schenker makes his 2205's sound glorious so it' hard to argue against that.

Last edited:
After all these years and multiple Marshall amps, I have reached the conclusion of pretty much the sum of the parts/tolerances and most of all there is something special about the Marshall transformers from 1967 until about 1979. Now I'm sure there are a few dogs here and there and I know some guys still swear by the 81-85 JCM800's. Michael Schenker makes his 2210 sound glorious so it' hard to argue against that.
Agreed, Schenker makes his 2210 sounds good but I prefer his earlier tone with less low mids

With a full time amp builder/tech employed, those amps could be just about anything. I couldn't assume they are anything like an original marshall circuit...

or a Wizard 2203 maybe:giggle:

KASEKSL.jpg

Alright, what’s going on with this amp? Don’t tease us! Comparison to MC and MTL?

Alright, what’s going on with this amp? Don’t tease us! Comparison to MC and MTL?

it’s Rick’s version of a JCM800 built with better components. The switch between the master and preamp is a gain boost. Definitely more Marshallesque relative to the MTL/MCII. about the same gain as the MCII. Boosted...I’ve tried my Direwolf, Eros, OD808 and Koko...makes it a metal monster. Very tight and aggressive.

Back