Any Badlanders in the wild?

311splawndude

Funny.

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. Have any of you seen any Pro's or Bands you like rocking the Mesa Badlander?

Then, I was watching a prepaid stream of one of my favorite bands, 311, and I see Tim Mahony playing one. They were doing their 'Blue' album on live stream song for song. Considering he (and Nick) have been using Rectifiers for years it didn't surprise me. He also records and tours with his Bogner too. This pic is not that clear but while watching the video I'm pretty sure his Badlander was on top of a Mark V probably and a Mesa TC 50/100 was on top of his Bogner. Anyway, sounded fantastic.

7sQfWkU.jpg

Last edited:
Might take a while, due to the world being on pause. Interested to see if they do become popular as a recto with a boost doesn't seem that far off one.

I preordered a rack mount 100w but they kept pushing back the release date, and once it hit early summer I decided to cancel and order a Kemper. Hilariously enough, I found profiles for the Badlander and they are my favorite profiles so far and make me want to put back down some money on the Badlander. Mesa gear is out of stock al over the place. I don’t know if it’s the transformer switcharoo, some issues with parts due to Covid, or something going on with the Gibson takeover, but right now it seems difficult to get anything Mesa.

I would like to watch this
Because of the Badlander or because you are a 311 fan? :D

It was a live stream. Not sure what might be on youtube. They have been streaming a live version of each album about every month.

March 11th (3/11) they will be doing the Transistor album - which is one of my favorites. I think it is like $60 for the next 3 'shows'.

Regardless of how you might feel about 311, I admire them for trying do something during these covid times and giving something to the fans. It has been hugely popular. Also, I've always dug their recto tones. Clean - Reggee - Rock - Metal fusion thing. :yes:

Beyond Black and Braintheory have one....
I did have one, but I recently sold it to my buddy to pay for a Rev D Recto that unexpectedly crossed my path. Had to be done....
That being said, the Badlander is a killer amp and I’ll have another. All this talk of it being weak with no balls is nonsense. It doesn’t have the massive surplus of low end like a Dual or Triple, but if you actually play in a band with a guy called “a bass player,” it should have plenty. It wouldn’t be my first choice for downtuned death metal brutality, but it’ll handle anything else. What it lacks in gobs of low end, it makes up for with it’s growl and aggression.
Despite it’s title, it really shouldn’t be called a Rectifier, because it’s got it’s own thing going on. First off, it doesn’t need a boost. It kills straight in. It’s tight, but not overly tight. It has a little give, and it feels amazing to play. It’s got a great bounce to it, and really feels like a boosted amp. It’s a very juicy sounding and feeling amp, and extremely fun to play, especially at high volume. It’s got a good master, but truly goes next level and fills the fuck out when loud....The knobs react more like a Marshall than a Mesa. The entire sweep is basically pretty usable. It’s got a ripping midrange, and growls like a rabid dog. It seriously has more growl than my old Mesas, and a swirling harmonic content comparable to my IIC++. It doesn’t have that Recto klank, but more of a warmer, softer attack, and I mean that in a good way. There is nothing stiff or dry about it. Rectos are a tad drier and stiffer. This amp has more bounce, almost like a Mark...
The identical dual channels are actually very cool, the way you decide what configuration you prefer. The crunch and clean channels are great, as is the loop. All in all, I think it’s a killer amp. Just don’t expect it to be a typical Recto because it’s not. I’ll admit it’s not quite as brutal, but it’s got great tone, feel, and it’s still extremely aggressive...My buddy who bought it has an amp collection full of the heaviest of hitters, he’s looking to downsize, and he still bought this amp from me, because it really is that good.

Last edited:
I did have one, but I recently sold it to my buddy to pay for a Rev D Recto that unexpectedly crossed my path. Had to be done....
That being said, the Badlander is a killer amp and I’ll have another. All this talk of it being weak with no balls is nonsense. It doesn’t have the massive surplus of low end like a Dual or Triple, but if you actually play in a band with a guy called “a bass player,” it should have plenty. It wouldn’t be my first choice for downtuned death metal brutality, but it’ll handle anything else. What it lacks in gobs of low end, it makes up for with it’s growl and aggression.
Despite it’s title, it really shouldn’t be called a Rectifier, because it’s got it’s own thing going on. First off, it doesn’t need a boost. It kills straight in. It’s tight, but not overly tight. It has a little give, and it feels amazing to play. It’s got a great bounce to it, and really feels like a boosted amp. It’s a very juicy sounding and feeling amp, and extremely fun to play, especially at high volume. It’s got a good master, but truly goes next level and fills the fuck out when loud....The knobs react more like a Marshall than a Mesa. The entire sweep is basically pretty usable. It’s got a ripping midrange, and growls like a rabid dog. It seriously has more growl than my old Mesas, and a swirling harmonic content comparable to my IIC++. It doesn’t have that Recto klank, but more of a warmer, softer attack, and I mean that in a good way. There is nothing stiff or dry about it. Rectos are a tad drier and stiffer. This amp has more bounce, almost like a Mark...
The identical dual channels are actually very cool, the way you decide what configuration you prefer. The crunch and clean channels are great, as is the loop. All in all, I think it’s a killer amp. Just don’t expect it to be a typical Recto because it’s not. I’ll admit it’s not quite as brutal, but it’s got great tone, feel, and it’s still extremely aggressive...My buddy who bought it has an amp collection full of the heaviest of hitters, he’s looking to downsize, and he still bought this amp from me, because it really is that good.
How would you compare it to your D? I bet Mesa was shooting for a pre 500 vibe

How would you compare it to your D? I bet Mesa was shooting for a pre 500 vibe
They are actually very different from each other. The D is stiffer, more open, has a ton more low end, and is much more raw. The D’s mids are definitely higher voiced than latter Rectos, are very pissed, and are similar to the BL. The BL has more growl, but the D is more aggressive. The D is a raw, vicious beast. Definitely sounds more vintage compared to the more modern sounding BL. The BL definitely has more compression and bounce, and is easier to play. The D makes you work a little. Not a lot, but a little, while the BL practically plays itself. I prefer the D, but also love the BL, it’s a great amp.

Funny.

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. Have any of you seen any Pro's or Bands you like rocking the Mesa Badlander?

Then, I was watching q prepaid stream of one of my favorite bands, 311, and I see Tim Mahony playing one. They were doing their 'Blue' album on live stream song for song. Considering he (and Nick) have been using Rectifiers for years it didn't surprise me. He also records and tours with his Bogner too. This pic is not that clear but while watching the video I'm pretty sure his Badlander was top of a Mark V probably and a Mesa TC 50/100 was on top of his Bogner. Anyway, sounded fantastic.

7sQfWkU.jpg
Tim is severely underrated as a guitarist/musician.

They are actually very different from each other. The D is stiffer, more open, has a ton more low end, and is much more raw. The D’s mids are definitely higher voiced than latter Rectos, are very pissed, and are similar to the BL. The BL has more growl, but the D is more aggressive. The D is a raw, vicious beast. Definitely sounds more vintage compared to the more modern sounding BL. The BL definitely has more compression and bounce, and is easier to play. The D makes you work a little. Not a lot, but a little, while the BL practically plays itself. I prefer the D, but also love the BL, it’s a great amp.
Sounds like maybe the BL, Rev F and D or C are all posisibly worth having then. I think I know what you mean about the BL having more growl yet the Rev D being more aggressive still

I have the 50 watt and enjoy it for what it is. I would prefer the 100 watt (I think) but I couldn't find any at the time so I grabbed this while I could. Mesa stuff should be showing up in stores pretty soon from what I am hearing.

Because of the Badlander or because you are a 311 fan? :D

It was a live stream. Not sure what might be on youtube. They have been streaming a live version of each album about every month.

March 11th (3/11) they will be doing the Transistor album - which is one of my favorites. I think it is like $60 for the next 3 'shows'.

Regardless of how you might feel about 311, I admire them for trying do something during these covid times and giving something to the fans. It has been hugely popular. Also, I've always dug their recto tones. Clean - Reggee - Rock - Metal fusion thing. :yes:

I love 311, not sure about the badlander from what I’ve heard though, maybe Timmy can change that

Sounds like maybe the BL, Rev F and D or C are all posisibly worth having then. I think I know what you mean about the BL having more growl yet the Rev D being more aggressive still
Yeah, they’re definitely different enough to own a BL, and an old two channel.
The BL has more of a growl, but it’s smoother than the D. I wouldn’t call the D smooth, it’s got a much more raw, toothy, jaggedness to it that just kills.

Tim is severely underrated as a guitarist/musician.
Totally agreed :yes:

I love 311, not sure about the badlander from what I’ve heard though, maybe Timmy can change that
Didn't know that. I like you even more now :yes:

Here is a link to the next streams. They then recast them 4 or 5 times over that weekend so you can watch again.
https://www.311streamsystem.com/
And their studio is pretty impressive overall and the sound is mixed well. Got to say they really pulled these off well so far as to getting their tone as close to album as possible. The 'Music' album was done a bare bones budget. The 'Grassroots' album was recorded traditionally in a studio but was purposely 'LoFi'd to give it a garage or live feel. The 'Blue' album was actually recorded live with all members playing their parts together but it sounds the exact opposite of Grassroots. It sounds very polished and studio like.

And here are a few screen shots from the 'Music' stream. Looks like Tim didn't have the Badlander nor the Triple Crown at that time.

mqiLgkF.jpg

A9DtTxA.jpg

I've never heard or seen anyone with a Tim Mahoney sig guitar either....just Tim. I've never seen one in the wild

Totally agreed :yes:

Didn't know that. I like you even more now :yes:

Here is a link to the next streams. They then recast them 4 or 5 times over that weekend so you can watch again.
https://www.311streamsystem.com/
And their studio is pretty impressive overall and the sound is mixed well. Got to say they really pulled these off well so far as to getting their tone as close to album as possible. The 'Music' album was done a bare bones budget. The 'Grassroots' album was recorded traditionally in a studio but was purposely 'LoFi'd to give it a garage or live feel. The 'Blue' album was actually recorded live with all members playing their parts together but it sounds the exact opposite of Grassroots. It sounds very polished and studio like.

And here are a few screen shots from the 'Music' stream. Looks like Tim didn't have the Badlander nor the Triple Crown at that time.

mqiLgkF.jpg

A9DtTxA.jpg

yeah dude i love em, i remember riding my bike to sam goody to get that blue album when it came out lol, crazy how long ago that was. good to see they are still doing their thing, ill check this out for sure

Man you are so right with solid bass players.
Really hard to find those dude's in heavy rock music.
They really make the drummers job easier
in a good way.
Especially the dudes that can walk that bottom end right into the punch instead chugging the night away over there in the corner.

Back