Any PRS players here? Opinions?

Surprised how many people don’t like the 59/15 pickups. They flat out fucking rule for metal to me. Sure they are lower output, but you would be hard pressed to find something that is more percussive and razor sharp/clear under high gain. They sound like what an old PAF should: bright, scooped, and super percussive. They rule when tuned down and with something bass heavy like a recto, fucking love them.

I have 3 PRS Core guitars.

1 - ‘88 Custom 24 Special
2 - ‘95 Custom 24 10-Top
3 - ‘09 DGT 10-Top

Of the 3, the DGT is the best of the bunch.

Tonally it can cover a lot of ground, and sound great doing it.

The most metal of the 3 is the Special, which was made for 80’s metal.

It has a wide thin neck and lends itself to heavier tones.

IMG_1398.jpeg

Surprised how many people don’t like the 59/15 pickups. They flat out fucking rule for metal to me. Sure they are lower output, but you would be hard pressed to find something that is more percussive and razor sharp/clear under high gain. They sound like what an old PAF should: bright, scooped, and super percussive. They rule when tuned down and with something bass heavy like a recto, fucking love them.
Do you mean the 58/15's? I have a set in my 2015 McCarty. Up until then, I would pretty well buy a PRS with the intent on putting in aftermarket pickups, but those charged that.

I remember plugging in to the Uber Rev Blue and Ecstasy and being floored at how they reacted and felt. Percussive and clear is a very apt way to describe them and they are one of my favorite pickups ever from ANY manufacturer!

I have 3 PRS Core guitars.

1 - ‘88 Custom 24 Special
2 - ‘95 Custom 24 10-Top
3 - ‘09 DGT 10-Top

Of the 3, the DGT is the best of the bunch.

Tonally it can cover a lot of ground, and sound great doing it.

The most metal of the 3 is the Special, which was made for 80’s metal.

It has a wide thin neck and lends itself to heavier tones.

View attachment 290924
Awesome. I've been interested in the gold top DGT for a while. I don't think I've ever heard a bad work against them. Really wanting one.

I got a PRS Custom 22 with a Wide Fat neck new in 1999, finished in Black Cherry with bird inlays. It has been my #1 guitar ever since. I still play it every day. Recently had the frets done. It’s still one of the best guitars I’ve ever put in my hands.

I didn’t like the old Dragon pickups that came in it at all though. Too much low end, no clarity, so I swapped them out for EMG’s a few months after I got it and never looked back.

I still look for amps that I can call “my sound” but I was lucky to have found “my guitar” 25 years ago with this one.

PRS guitars are fantastic. They have a reputation for being lawyer and dentist guitars because they can be extra fancy with some of them having all the crazy wood grain and bright colors and high prices, but just about all of them are absolutely top tier player guitars as well.

So yep, I like em.

Last edited:
Don't discount the Tremonti Treble pickup. It's like the \m/ pickup but just a little more of everything. Totally fucking slays.

My #1 is a core Tremonti "Baritone" as it is 25.5". It will go with me to the grave. I also have a Holcomb SE with Evertune bridge. For a roughly $1k guitar the quality is excellent, on par if not surpassing the LTD 1000 series.

I have 2 SE's that I like a lot. I did change the pickups though. I think they kind of have a slightly clearer and snappier Gibson style tone.

I also want to get a DGT SE here some time. I got to check one out the other day and I liked the feel of it.

I hate PRS’s because the ones I’ve played play better than my les Paul’s and charvel. In my limited experience I think they’re necks and fretboards make them stand out. Haven’t played one through my amps so I can’t comment on tone. Only reason I don’t have one is I think they look goofy.

I've had two. Great guitars, beautiful and play very easily, but I still moved them on. Something in how I play that didn't work for me with them for some reason. Very honest sounding to me, hard to hide my poor skills

ive had two now; a custom 22 with a regular pattern neck and trem, and a custom24 with a floyd, thin pattern, and they were both stunning well thought out guitars, i reluctantly sold them, and was going to get another, but got a mayones hydra instead on a hunch, and it ticks all the boxes for me, ill get another custom with a thin pattern neck again. the stock pickups were really good but i did put bkp painkillers in it. just hard to beat for tight metal stuff..

Awesome. I've been interested in the gold top DGT for a while. I don't think I've ever heard a bad work against them. Really wanting one.
Thanks.

Actually the Goldtop is the ‘88 Special, and the Sunburst is the ‘09 DGT.

I know what you mean though, cause I actually wanted Goldtop DGT with moons myself.

The thing is I got such an amazing deal on my Sunburst DGT, I just couldn’t pass it up

Thanks.

Actually the Goldtop is the ‘88 Special, and the Sunburst is the ‘09 DGT.

I know what you mean though, cause I actually wanted Goldtop DGT with moons myself.

The thing is I got such an amazing deal on my Sunburst DGT, I just couldn’t pass it up
Ah I see, I missed the control layout and made an assumption on the gold top.

I'm torn between getting a DGT and a Custom 24. I currently own the CE24 so leaning towards the DGT, but a core Custom 24 is just calling me....I'd really love your thoughts on the DGT vs the Custom24 knowing one is not really better, just wondering thoughts on the differences.

I prefer the single cut models. If DC I like the 22’s.
A PRS is not a Les Paul and more than a Fender is. I see the vs threads all too often. PRS is a PRS. Core models are awesome. Their pickups are fine. I’m not a fan of super high output pickups with high gain amps. Gets too muddy IMO.
I own Gibsons as well. Build quality is top notch. My best bit of advice is go try a few out. Neck profiles vary. Find which you prefer.
One of my SC Artist models.

Attachments

• 7E440806-8D7C-4F0E-A68B-3337A6C299F7.jpeg
    7E440806-8D7C-4F0E-A68B-3337A6C299F7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Do you mean the 58/15's? I have a set in my 2015 McCarty. Up until then, I would pretty well buy a PRS with the intent on putting in aftermarket pickups, but those charged that.

I remember plugging in to the Uber Rev Blue and Ecstasy and being floored at how they reacted and felt. Percussive and clear is a very apt way to describe them and they are one of my favorite pickups ever from ANY manufacturer!

Whoops! Yep, typo on my part. I absolutely fucking love them , they are so sick, glad I’m not the only one. I would kill to have a 7 string set of those quite honestly , could be really sick . Transposing down my custom 24 with a plugin like gojira is absolutely crushing to me. They excel to me in low tunings due to their clarity and extreme percussiveness personally.

Damnit, all this PRS talk is making my GAS fly off the handle now. They are about the only thing in the gear world I still GAS over big time. I’d kill to have multiple custom 24 hardtails and Floyd’s, and multiple tremonti’s, in all different tunings with different pickups. It’s still seriously crossing my mind.

Ah I see, I missed the control layout and made an assumption on the gold top.

I'm torn between getting a DGT and a Custom 24. I currently own the CE24 so leaning towards the DGT, but a core Custom 24 is just calling me....I'd really love your thoughts on the DGT vs the Custom24 knowing one is not really better, just wondering thoughts on the differences.
Custom 24 has Gibson scale, DGT is 25". If you're a Gibson guy get the 24. If you're into super strats get the DGT. The DGT fixes everything I don't like about the Custom 22 (bigger frets, flatter fretboard, better pickups).

Back