Any PRS players here? Opinions?

Ah I see, I missed the control layout and made an assumption on the gold top.

I'm torn between getting a DGT and a Custom 24. I currently own the CE24 so leaning towards the DGT, but a core Custom 24 is just calling me....I'd really love your thoughts on the DGT vs the Custom24 knowing one is not really better, just wondering thoughts on the differences.

For ME the DGT is way more versatile.

With the DGT , you a least have individual control of each pickup’s volume to blend to taste in middle position.

You also have the tone knob that splits to have single pickup tones for both pickups.

I think the CU24 if a newer version can cover heavier tones, but it won’t cover the different tones the DGT can.

If you want the versatility, I’d definitely go with the DGT.

For ME the DGT is way more versatile.

With the DGT , you a least have individual control of each pickup’s volume to blend to taste in middle position.

You also have the tone knob that splits to have single pickup tones for both pickups.

I think the CU24 if a newer version can cover heavier tones, but it won’t cover the different tones the DGT can.

If you want the versatility, I’d definitely go with the DGT.
Appreciate the perspective.

PRS are pretty if you like fancy wood. They do nothing for me, so...hard pass; just IMO.

When I play a PRS it makes want to do my taxes, see a doctor or a lawyer. :D

If I had to pick one guitar brand for my fav, it would be EBMM, I got my first Kaizen 6 last year, and before the end of the year I had 4 Kaizen, and a Majesty 6. I plan to get more of both.

Last edited:
I have a PRS SE standard, added locking tuners and put in a SD Custom Custom - I love that guitar. I will buy another one day when I see a good secondhand deal and pimp it a little. Solid guitars and a pleasure to play. Screwed down the floating bridge and away I went.

PRS are pretty if you like fancy wood. They do nothing for me, so...hard pass; just IMO.

When I play a PRS it makes want to do my taxes, see a doctor or a lawyer. :D

If I had to pick one guitar brand for my fav, it would be EBMM, I got my first Kaizen 6 last year, and before the end of the year I had 4 Kaizen, and a Majesty 6. I plan to get more of both.
Yep I get the fancy wood thing, I had a really nice 594 a few years ago where the top was so nice I was always scared to play it because I didn't want to ding it. The McCarty I got is Seafoam green and I got a white 594, the CE24 I have is all mahogany, no fancy maple top. So I can relate and not crazy about the art style tops, although they're cool to look at.

To be fair, I bought a EBMM a couple months ago and it cost more then all 4 of my PRS cores, 3 of which I got used though. New prices are crazy these days...

Custom 24 has Gibson scale, DGT is 25". If you're a Gibson guy get the 24. If you're into super strats get the DGT. The DGT fixes everything I don't like about the Custom 22 (bigger frets, flatter fretboard, better pickups).

The Custom 24 has always been 25" since its inception. The whole schtick behind the Custom 24 was the scale length being between a Gibson and a Fender. They never have used the 24.75" scale on anything that I'm aware of to this day.

The Custom 24 has always been 25" since its inception. The whole schtick behind the Custom 24 was the scale length being between a Gibson and a Fender. They never have used the 24.75" scale on anything that I'm aware of to this day.
Right, the Custom 24 refers to 24 frets, Custom 22=22 frets. Both still 25 inches. I’m guessing maybe the confusion comes from the 594 which is 24.594 inches.

I think they use a shorter scale on the Santana.

Years ago we were at a club watching some bands and one of the guys had a really good sound, he was using a PRS. They had just come out. A few years later my guitar was stolen and with the insurance money got an 87 Standard 24 with the sweet switch and that stupid 5 way rotary deal. Big neck and round fingerboard, smallish frets. Never liked how it hung on a strap, it didn’t stay in tune very well and it was noisy. Put a 3 way toggle in it and a push pull which helped. Took it with me to GIT and had Sammy Sanchez at Nadines refret it. Still wasn’t that happy with it. While at GIT some teachers had these Tom Anderson guitars that sounded amazing. When I got home, found a Hollow Cobra and sold the PRS. Have had others and never really liked them. Well made and pretty to look at, but not for me. I have had that cobra almost 30 years now….crazy….that 87 would have been worth quite abit now…

I think they use a shorter scale on the Santana.
Ya, I was thinking of the Santana, my bad. Anyhoo, I have a 2004 Custom 22, and have always been on the fence with it. It's nice, but it has issues. The pickups were terrible. The treble bleed circuit was not good. The control cavity has no shielding, and the factory soldering was rather sloppy. The frets have worn unevenly. I may refret it, may trade it off.

Whoops! Yep, typo on my part. I absolutely fucking love them , they are so sick, glad I’m not the only one. I would kill to have a 7 string set of those quite honestly , could be really sick . Transposing down my custom 24 with a plugin like gojira is absolutely crushing to me. They excel to me in low tunings due to their clarity and extreme percussiveness personally.
Oh I love them as well man. Like I said, they were the PRS pickup that kinda made me give PRS pickups as chance again. My first PRS was also a McCarty I bought back in 2003....and I HATED those pickups! Lol! Fell in love with the guitar though.

I tell ya, people can spew all the "doctor/lawyer" guitar BS all they want, but PRS are fantastically built and playing instruments. That first McCarty served me well touring around Canada in a hardcore band and Canuck winters can play hell with guitars!

I have a few nice PRS's in the collection now....and patiently dream/wait for a Core line 7 string or stoptail Custom 24!

Oh! Have you tried the PRS narrowfield pickups? I have an NF3 and I think it might be up your alley: absolutely rips playing high gain stuff!

I've never owned and probably never played a PRS. I was thinking about getting an S2 and was curious how these guys cover rock and metal? My bass player has PRS but I'm clueless.

Wondering about weight and tone compared to a Les Paul. I have a Strat as well.
No experience with the S2 guitars but my 2 Tremonti Core models are some of the finest guitars I've ever owned. Play great, sound great, look great. I've owned a total of 5 through the years including a couple Custom 24's, all amazing guitars.

Btw/ not all the PRS pups are bad. The Tremonti pickups are absolutely fantastic.

My Tremonti core and CU24 core are fantastic guitars. Tremonti stock pickups are hot enough for higher-gain applications. I put Bare Knuckle VHii's in my custom 24 and really like them. I see no reason as to why you couldn't put hot ceramics or actives in a PRS and turn it into a fire breather.

I owned two McCarts many years ago, but didn’t bond with them. Last year I bought a new Custom 24 to give it another shot. I absolutely love it! It plays well, sounds killer, and everything sounds “perfectly” in tune up and down the neck. That amazes me.

Bought a Singlecut 594 next. Hated the stock 58/15 LT+ pickups with a passion. Long story short…. Sent the 594 back to PRS to install 85/15 pickups (that I bought used), synthetic nut and vintage style locking tuners.

Love it!
IMG_3355.jpeg
IMG_3354.jpeg

Don't discount the Tremonti Treble pickup. It's like the \m/ pickup but just a little more of everything. Totally fucking slays.

My #1 is a core Tremonti "Baritone" as it is 25.5". It will go with me to the grave. I also have a Holcomb SE with Evertune bridge. For a roughly $1k guitar the quality is excellent, on par if not surpassing the LTD 1000 series.
I also have a Tremonti "baritone" in 25.5" scale and it just rips and I will never sell it, thing just sounds amazing and plays great. The only knock I can give it is that the neck pickup that comes with it can't be wired to be split. I have a SE 277 which also plays great and the quality for a import/price is expectional.
I have owned a couple Gibson LP's and they have a different tone going on and really want to have kept them just the quality really sucks.

I also have a Tremonti "baritone" in 25.5" scale and it just rips and I will never sell it, thing just sounds amazing and plays great. The only knock I can give it is that the neck pickup that comes with it can't be wired to be split. I have a SE 277 which also plays great and the quality for a import/price is expectional.
I have owned a couple Gibson LP's and they have a different tone going on and really want to have kept them just the quality really sucks.
i love the stock Tremonti pickups.

They’re expensive, but the metal \m/ pickups sound amazing, have in my McCarty and Custom 22 and they rip. I didn’t care for the 58/15 LT’s that came in the 594, they actually sound good just low and miss the sizzle I normally like. Last night I put a set of Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (sh-14) in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. Awesome combo and sound amazing in there.

Back