Any Recovering Alcoholics Here?

Strandberg Junkie

Banned
@Monkey Man
I don't want to break my streak by contacting you in private so:

Would like to start this thread and think it may gain some traction, i.e; lots of mid to older rock n rollers = gotta be some dry folks

It would require at least a disclaimer up front that it be taken at least semi-serious and not just become ANOTHER punching bag.
Mostly out of respect for anyone that might want to chime in.

Up front I don't think it'll work and I think you'll think in kind. Sucks if that's the case but I at least GET the reality of shit.

Thanks! 🐒

@Monkey Man
I don't want to break my streak by contacting you in private so:

Would like to start this thread and think it may gain some traction, i.e; lots of mid to older rock n rollers = gotta be some dry folks

It would require at least a disclaimer up front that it be taken at least semi-serious and not just become ANOTHER punching bag.
Mostly out of respect for anyone that might want to chime in.

Up front I don't think it'll work and I think you'll think in kind. Sucks if that's the case but I at least GET the reality of shit.

Thanks! 🐒
No, I STILL love my Single Malt and ain't nobody is gonna stop me. I'm pickled right now and if you're a good fella you'll hum dixie on my nuts. Well, are you up for it DemNuts the NutHummer?

Not at all mate.

I see great potential for it to at least help peeps who are currently or have struggled, to get things off their chests.

Sometimes hearing how difficult something is for someone else can help one deal with one's own challenges.

I'll keep an understanding eye on it.

Shouldn’t this be in the Food and Drink Category
I did wonder about that bro'. :confused:

I think that sub-forum's more about the encouragement of consumption, whereas this is the opposite.

That said, one thing in that favour would be that it'd make the thread easier-to-find for someone who has an issue with it.

In light of this I think I will move it. Thanks for triggering a reassessment of the situation mate. :thumbsup:

Only concern would be those who would avoid a thread heading 'Drink & xxxxxx" out of regular habit.
I've posted in Food but not sure I've been in the Drink section. Memory sucks so could be wrong.

Guess we'll see.

[mod edit]
As I said to Picasso, we're keeping politics out of it mate.
Talk about a one-sentence trigger. :no:

Much respect for the people that actually can turn their lives around. Just remember substituting one thing for another never works

Didn't drink much (relative to my peers) as a teen and early twenties.
Really kicked in after getting a job in a big mfg. place - too many reasons to drink and always real convenient.
Couple beers and a shot at lunchs sometimes, Friday night at the local pub getting smashed and playing OG video games.
Bowling league, someones birthday, someone leaving, new hire, etc. etc. etc.
🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Probably fit the clinical description of alcoholic by the age of 30.
For the next 28 years I somehow raised two successful kids, kept getting promotions, and moved cross-country in 1997.
"Highly Functional Alcoholic". It's actual a thing - look it up.

Wheels began falling off around 2016. Around that time I was able to start working from home 3 days a week.

Took my afternoon "nap" as usual on 1/3/2018 and woke to an empty house. no wife, dogs, or cat. Just a note.
Hey, now I don't have to hide it anymore!

Sold the house for a nice profit for both of us and bought myself a small Winnebego.

Early August Linda broke a bone so I hung out for a bit which led to us moving back in together and giving it another try.

I was so fucked up by then it fell apart quickly. The morning of 12/13/18 she said it was over for good.
Poured everything down the sink, gave her my car keys, and she left with the dogs for a long weekend at her brothers.

Took a 1 week vacation to hell - I went completely cold turkey at home. (DUMB - don't do it)
1st year sober I was a bigger asshole than I'd been while drinking.
2nd year was better but still snapped and lashed out too easily - right guys?
3rd year was better but still wasn't comfortable. Still missing my buddy too often.
This year so far has been great. Things are going better with me and Lin than they have in decades - we celebrate our 40th in a couple months.

Lots of tough times ahead. My mom's in hospice and our two large dogs are both getting really close to the end.

TLDR
>>>>>>>>>>>> December 13, 2018
DRUNK

December 14, 2018 <<<<<<<<<<<
SOBER

Last edited:
During the worst of detox it was basically shaking on the couch and wanting to die, puking and wanting to die, and occasionally some sleep.
But FUCK - the dreams were some of the most horrific stuff. Don't recall much but snapping immediately awake from one was common.

Have had lots of nightmares through the years but nothing like this. Completely stopped after the first 3-4 days.

Found this:

odprzZA.png

Donnie, I saw your changed-mind request to delete the thread.

I hope you're still OK with it, 'cause as I anticipated earlier:

I see great potential for it to at least help peeps who are currently or have struggled, to get things off their chests.

Sometimes hearing how difficult something is for someone else can help one deal with one's own challenges.
I've never had a problem other than losing best buddies to it, but even I am getting something out of reading this stuff.

RE: Detox alone at home.
Did a bunch of research on it numerous time so I didn't go in blind.
Had hallucinated a ton back in the 70s so instead of freaking me out I almost enjoyed that when it happened.
I had lots of water to fend of dehydration, and a ton of leftover Chinese in the fridge. HUGE bonus tip right there folks.

Also had 911 ready on a smartwatch. Fortunately I never even came close to needing it.
Loaded gun might have been good - but that had been confiscated as part of the 5150 way back in April.

Hay man, what'd you expect? A flurry of anecdotal stories?

Granted, many here have likely faced this challenge, but IMHO it's unreasonable to expect that in just 2 days a bunch of peeps are gonna:
A) See the thread in OTC already.
B) Respond.

It serves a valuable purpose IMHO. Can be eye-opening to all and sundry.

Figured maybe at least one thumbs up - not like in a 'good for you' way but more like 'been there/done that!'

:ROFLMAO:

Your call but if it suddenly goes *poof* it's no biggie here.
Thanks.

Back