Any thoughts on Burstbucker pros?

dwizted

I got a set of Burstbucker pros and want to know more about em and what people think and use them for. I am thinking about puting them in my last les paul standard. I say last one couse I had to sell my class 5 yesterday to pay some bills. The les paul I am thinking about puting them in weighs in about 10 pounds even so that kind of gives you an idea of what it is. I am looking to set her up more as a clean, blues rock guitar as I have several other types of guitars to get my metal on. although I am sure I will try to chug on this one too a bit.

Since you already have them, I would throw them in and see if you like them. Some do, some don't. It sounds like they may be perfect for the sound you are going for.

What ones are in that LP now?

They have a little more output and top-end bite than even a Burstbucker 3. I have a set that came standard in a Les Paul Limited Edition (2003-2004?) Manhattan Midnight and they sound great -- very vintage, but they can get downright modern and nasty as well.

I think they sound great in a heavy LP. However, in a chambered LP, they are "airy" sounding and too scooped in the mids for my tastes. The ones in my old Studio sounded like crap. I pulled them out and put them in a full weight LP Classic from the early 90's and they sounded great.

racerevlon":39cfidj9 said:
They have a little more output and top-end bite than even a Burstbucker 3. I have a set that came standard in a Les Paul Limited Edition (2003-2004?) Manhattan Midnight and they sound great -- very vintage, but they can get downright modern and nasty as well.
I have that guitar as well, mine is a heavy beast at about 11lbs. I liked the neck bbpro, but the bridge had a harsh edge to the high end and was a bit thin. I replaced them with suhr aldrich pickups and overall it was a great change, the bbpro neck was a touch sweeter than the Aldrich, but that is the only thing I feel I am giving up.

snowdog":1lw94wma said:
Since you already have them, I would throw them in and see if you like them. Some do, some don't. It sounds like they may be perfect for the sound you are going for.

What ones are in that LP now?

Right now it has seymour duncan blackouts.

SFW":e3w54w4n said:
I dig them. Slap an OUA5 mag in the bridge and they sound killer.
What does it do for the pick up and where would you purchase this magnt from. Please excuse my ignorance on this but, I never swaped out a magnet on a pick up. I have heard of people doing it but never tried. Sounds kind of cool and seams interesting to be able to change characteristic's of your favorite pick ups.

I had a set in a Jackson SLSMG. I loved them. Lots of tone! Not very hot, compared to 500T's but more cut, thicker/fuller. If they were hotter they'd be my favorite Gibson Pickup.

dwizted":fhb0on88 said:
SFW":fhb0on88 said:
I dig them. Slap an OUA5 mag in the bridge and they sound killer.
What does it do for the pick up and where would you purchase this magnt from. Please excuse my ignorance on this but, I never swaped out a magnet on a pick up. I have heard of people doing it but never tried. Sounds kind of cool and seams interesting to be able to change characteristic's of your favorite pick ups.

I am interested in learning about this as well. Is an OUA5 an Alnico 5 magnet?

An UOA5 is an UnOriented Alnico 5 magnet. You can get them online off of ebay. I think I got mine from Addiction FX or something like that. Basically the UOA5 is a less scooped sounding magnet. It gives you the bottom end thump of an A5 with highs and mids more along the lines of an Alnico 2 magnet. So the highs are sweeter and the mids are round and creamy. In a nutshell, it warms the bridge pickup up and is a nice contrast to the neck. They blend better.

Mag swapping is actually pretty easy. Pop the cover off. Loosen the four screws on the baseplate of the pickup and push the existing mag out. Slide the new one in.

SFW":14ab2ltd said:
An UOA5 is an UnOriented Alnico 5 magnet. You can get them online off of ebay. I think I got mine from Addiction FX or something like that. Basically the UOA5 is a less scooped sounding magnet. It gives you the bottom end thump of an A5 with highs and mids more along the lines of an Alnico 2 magnet. So the highs are sweeter and the mids are round and creamy. In a nutshell, it warms the bridge pickup up and is a nice contrast to the neck. They blend better.

Mag swapping is actually pretty easy. Pop the cover off. Loosen the four screws on the baseplate of the pickup and push the existing mag out. Slide the new one in.

Thanks for the info, do you have to rewax pot the pickup after you swap the magnet out?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alnico-5-humbuc ... 4ab746c3ee

Once I've swapped the mag and put the cover back on, I usuallt heat the pickup for a few minutes with either a hair dryer or a heat gun. This melts the wax back into any voids.

Well I went ahead and put em in. They sound great. I have read that some guys find em bright but they sound just right in my paul. the neck pick up really shines on clean and leads. The bridge sounds fat and thick without any muddiness. I wish I would have put em in my other paul before I sold it to see how it sounded in it.

I got say I am very happy with it and see them staying there for as long as I have this guitar.
Thanks for all the input dudes.... :rock:

blackba":3pdd9623 said:
SFW":3pdd9623 said:

Thanks for the info, do you have to rewax pot the pickup after you swap the magnet out?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alnico-5-humbuc ... 4ab746c3ee

I went ahead and ordered the magnet in the link above. I plan to try them in my '73 LP custom, which means I have to take the covers off. I figure I will already have the cover off when I change the magnet.

I got the BBpros installed in my LP custom. I did change the magnet in the bridge. The Neck is about how I remember it in the LP standard LE, pretty sweet sounding, but a little harsh on the high end, still tweaking the height. The bridge sounds pretty nice, the high end is not as harsh as I remember.

I did have a SD Jazz in the neck and a Suhr Aldrich in the bridge. The nice thing is I had push pull pots on each tone, so I could split them (Aldrich splits well), but I think the Aldrich was a bit too hot for the LP custom as this LP custom is just a mean sounding guitar. I am liking the change right now. It also saves me money as I was going to try a '57 Classic and '57 Classic plus in the LP custom, but its nice to use pickups you already have.

The bridge has too much icepick on the high end in my LP standard and the tone is a bit too round in the low end. I ordered some Motor City Detroiters to replace them.

FWIW... Wish it gave impedance/resistance vaues, but alas, this is all I have:

And see attached PDF for more info.

Mo

Attachments

• Pickup_Guide.pdf
    222 KB · Views: 217
I agree the bridge pickup *can* be a little bright in my LP w/ stock BB pros but overall I think they're good. I prefer 57 classics though overall.

Back