Anybody into 80's hip hop?

billsbigego

Funny, I'm 53 and back in the 80's when Rap took over MTV I was hostile. Had a DEEP SEEDED H8TRED for anything Rap related. Now, I still love my Skynyrd and 80's thrash, but when I get paralyzed on Saturday nights, I need to blast something the wife can get into. So I took one for the team and started branching out with my musical tastes. I've always liked some techno, even though I never really knew what was what, so I started listening to some house music. That way in between Smoothe up in ya and Dark Angel Darkness Descends, I can play something for the wife.

Well fuck me, I actually started liking a lot of this stuff. I do like a lot of Lady Gaga's stuff and the fact that she's an actual musician appeals to me.

Now here's where I made a mistake. I started listening to The Beastie Boys and started watching some scratching videos. This was a mistake as if I look at something too long, I get bit, then go full retard into the hobby. So I stumbled upon this video and was hooked. "Ima do that too..." and went and bought a huge Reloop DJ controller and a smaller portable one. Now I'm pretty good with instruments. Anything with strings, I can at least fake sounding like an expert in the beginning and get away with it. I always thought this scratching shit was for idiots and anybody can do it. Man was I wrong. I personally nominate myself to be the worst Scratcher on the planet. Then there's the whole DJ thing, which is an absolute black hole also. The learning curve for all of this stuff is mind boggling.

So I'm pretty stoked that I have another hobby. I haven't picked up a guitar in 10 years or so after my band fizzled, then got into Electronic music with drum machines and synths, and now I'm obsessed with this scratching shit. I never considered it an art form and I sort of wish I got in early as it's gonna be a long time till I produce any sound that is remotely near listenable.

This girl Sara is amazing. Just look at her finger on the fader. Jesus.

Attachments

• IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 10
Not at all. But I do remember when Furious Five came out with The Message. That is the original rap song. I liked it then and I like it now. Even if the video is totally cheesy.

Don't push me cuz I'm close to the Edddge, I'm trying not to lose my head, huh, huh huh. It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under huh huh huh.

But I do remember when Furious Five came out with The Message. That is the original rap song.
Actually, some say it was Debbie Harry's Rapture.

Personally, IMHO the Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight was the first legit rap song, that I'd heard anyway.

I bought both the Rapper's Delight 12" (roughly 15min long!) and The Message and learned all the words. :LOL:

Back