Anyone Else Tired of Dealing With Morons When Trying To Sell Gear?

Yeah, the people that don’t want to pay the fee makes no sense in order to save a little cash. I want the protection. If someone is selling gear and they say they only take PayPal friends and family it’s an automatic no. The second I see that, I hit back icon, and continue scanning the classifieds. Unless, it’s a forum bro I trust, and there are a handful of rigtalk members I trust enough to send friends and family with zero worry.

But the number of shysters out there is staggering. Also, a lot of dudes whose greed, literally, knows no bounds. Shameful.
Just offer the seller that you will pay the PP fees. If he backs off, you know there‘s definitely something shady going on.

I’ve only sold stuff on Reverb for a few years, thankfully without a single problem. Only had a couple of instances of people making an attempt to lowball here and there, but other than that nothing significantly aggravating. Always had the descriptions of my listings detail everything as throughly as possible and make the point that I am not a store, no returns due to buyer’s remorse/not “meeting expectations” and to drive home the point that it’s an as-is sale. Once the guitar/amp/pedal/pickup/whatever is purchased and in your possession it’s yours now, finito.

The people who are actually interested in buying something, don't ask tons of questions. They make an offer and buy it. The ones who are just wasting your time... well, they waste your time with tons of stupid questions. I had a guy message me on FB last week about the Mayones Duvell I'm selling. He asks a few questions and then asked for my phone number since he's local. He tried to get me to start shooting the shit about gear with him. I told him I had to go and if he wanted to check out the guitar, he knows where to find me.

Haven't heard a thing about it since. I'm telling you... time wasters.

Yeah, the people that don’t want to pay the fee makes no sense in order to save a little cash. I want the protection. If someone is selling gear and they say they only take PayPal friends and family it’s an automatic no. The second I see that, I hit back icon, and continue scanning the classifieds. Unless, it’s a forum bro I trust, and there are a handful of rigtalk members I trust enough to send friends and family with zero worry.

But the number of shysters out there is staggering. Also, a lot of dudes whose greed, literally, knows no bounds. Shameful.
And maybe fees have nothing to do with it..I know a lot of people that don't want to have to deal with the IRS and their 1099's..

And maybe fees have nothing to do with it..I know a lot of people that don't want to have to deal with the IRS and their 1099's..
I can completely understand that reasoning myself for I have been mainly giving my extra gear to friends who don't have much money for buying new musical equipment and if the equipment is still in a Like-New condition then the gear becomes killer prizes for that year's local high school winners of the "Battle of the Bands" since it saves me the additional headaches at tax time and I know they really appreciate receiving it :)

If you're selling things at a loss you can just add expenses against a 1099 that equal the value of the 1099 and you're good. It's substantially less hassle than, ya know, selling an amp online and then packing and shipping it to someone.

Just offer the seller that you will pay the PP fees. If he backs off, you know there‘s definitely something shady going on.

It's not about the fees. It's about the 180 day return policy and taxes.

Selling things you got in a trade or bought 8 years ago on a forum for all intents and purposes have a $0 tax basis, meaning everything is income.

Been sick and tired of it for a few years now.

Post pics, answer all the moronic questions people come up with etc.

I had a guy wait two weeks to open a guitar I’d shipped him and then ask to return it ‘because he didn’t like it as much as he thought he would’.

Do I look like a fuckin Guitar Center to you?

I gave up hard after that.

I still buy, but I have a ton of stuff here and just recently started giving it away to friends that are less fortunate.

Called a buddy last week that was leaving on tour, asked how he was stacked for backups. Said he could use a guitar all joking like, just kidding around. Told him to stop by the next day, handed him an Ibanez RGA121, new strings, set up by the best tech in my city.

Dude was blown away, and all I could think was ‘damn glad I don’t have to try to sell that to someone that wants 231 pics and tries to get $200 off for a scratch I’d never noticed’.

I have always done research, never asked to return anything. As long as it shows up in workable condition, it gets played and whatever happens after that is on me.

Would also never buy from the serial flippers, the guys that buy 3-4 guitars a month and talk about what great players they are, and then sell them all end of the month. You’ve had this guitar 3 weeks and you’re already selling it, how good could it be?

I’ve been lucky enough to score some great deals and grab pretty much all the gear I’ve ever wanted to try, no reason to really buy anything else, or sell anything ever. I’d rather give it to someone that’ll appreciate having and using it, than trying to avoid the scam/people’s hurt feelings etc.

Was fun while it lasted, but it hasn’t been fun for like 6 years at this point….

He didn’t open the guitar for two weeks???? Damn, I am wildly excited when I have a new guitar inbound and when it arrives I’m like a kid on Christmas. Plus, what is more fun or enjoyable than playing a guitar you live?

Did you let him return the guitar after two weeks? I would have said no.

He didn’t open the guitar for two weeks???? Damn, I am wildly excited when I have a new guitar inbound and when it arrives I’m like a kid on Christmas. Plus, what is more fun or enjoyable than playing a guitar you live?

Did you let him return the guitar after two weeks? I would have said no.

Right? Even after all these years I’m still stoked whenever something new shows up.

Nope, no way. That wasn’t anywhere close enough to a valid reason. You bought a guitar on a forum and don’t like it? Sell it on, EXACTLY LIKE I DID.

Dude was pissed but apparently he’d done this before. I got a bunch of PMs about it because I posted about it, not naming names.

Decided right then he wasn’t getting away with it. We’d done business before, and he’d paid with F&F, so I didn’t have to refund him, and stopped caring right there about people trashing me on the internet. I’ve done enough deals here and also on that one that people know well enough who I am.

Dude kept the guitar and put it up two weeks later using my exact ad and pictures lol

I'm a bad lowballer...I'll admit. However I usually wind up giving my shit away also. eg-line 6 hd500...sold it for $25, ltd ec1000ctm...sold it for $300 and I liked the guy so I gave him my PV falcon and a wireless nady unit.

It's not about the fees. It's about the 180 day return policy and taxes.

Selling things you got in a trade or bought 8 years ago on a forum for all intents and purposes have a $0 tax basis, meaning everything is incom.
Exactly no protection for the seller anymore. Buyer can makeup anything to return the item, plus the 1099 bullshit - kinda forces the F&F only option.

I'm a bad lowballer...I'll admit. However I usually wind up giving my shit away also. eg-line 6 hd500...sold it for $25, ltd ec1000ctm...sold it for $300 and I liked the guy so I gave him my PV falcon and a wireless nady unit.
Sell me stuff.

I usually make a killing selling things to idiots on Craigslist. Those are the people who fall for the dumb stuff, like the magic LM308 chip in the Rat pedal, or the number of zeros in the serial number. Yeah, I know it just means it was built the first week in January, and that it's the same as the other 10,000 they made, but if I can make it special, it's worth more.

Even people on here will pretend to have interest and ask for a million pictures of a flawless guitar, "could you take a picture up the jack hole?". You provide, and then they ghost you.

Last edited:
I used to flip a lot of gear and quit for the reasons mentioned. That being said, my wife sells high end collectables (think rich old lady shit), she has none of these issues. I am at the conclusion that its the client base. Alot of "musicians" are fucked up, scumbag, pieces of shit.

I used to flip a lot of gear and quit for the reasons mentioned. That being said, my wife sells high end collectables (think rich old lady shit), she has none of these issues. I am at the conclusion that its the client base. Alot of "musicians" are fucked up, scumbag, pieces of shit.
GAS is a real life disease 🦠
too bad Pfizer hasn’t figured out the vaccine yet.

Some Jack offs sell you a road case saying it fits a Marshall head then send you one that fits a boogie mark series. Then they ignore your messages. Yeah you,motherfucker.

Back