Anyone ever build one of these amp kits?

MadAsAHatter

I've been thinking about building a kit amp for a while now. Everything I've come across so far has been either more complicated than I want to tackle, not the style amp I want, or has virtually no instructions. Today I came across this nx5 kit by Ampmaker. Seems to be everything I was looking for. Straight forward enough circuit, "British" style, and detailed step by step instructions. Only thing is I know nothing about Ampmaker or the quality of their kits.

Have any of you built, played, had any experience with one of these?

https://www.ampmaker.com/shop/n5x-british-overdrive-amplifier/

TBH, I would try to find the old Metropoulis build instructions. I thought they were at Valvestorm but I just checked quickly and didn’t see it. Maybe @harddriver or somebody else has a saved copy. I’ll check when I get back to home in a couple days.

There are parts lists at Valvestorm so that part can already be done.

I just think that if you’re going to build that, you should probably consider just building an actual Marshall clone.

There will be plenty of help here and elsewhere for anything you build but Marshall clones are so well known that the recipe is tried and true.

But I love Marshalls so take my advice with salt.

I've built two Metros.
Not saying I know what I am doing, but I can follow directions and the instructions with the amps are excellent!

I built a Boothill 5F2A as well.

Grab a kit!

I wish I could read schematics and had better soldering skills; I'd build this:

AC100.jpg

Make sure to check out PLX's link...

Thats where I got all my Metro parts and instructions.
They even answered a couple questions I had during my build.

Have not built that amp, but I have built the Trinity Tramp and the two seem very similar.
The tramp sounds killer and the owner there is such a nice dude.

They got hit hard during covid though so I’m not sure what they are currently stocking

what kind of amp are you looking to build ??
if you get a kit .... you get the parts they pick ...
if you are looking to do a 800 style or a plexi ..... you can use the best directions you can find .... but source and pick your own parts .
building amps is a HUGE ... FUN .... Rabbit hole to go down ...

I wish I could read schematics and had better soldering skills; I'd build this:

View attachment 217312
I am currently rebuilding a Vox ac100. Got the chassis and head cab on eBay, think they date to late 65. Transformers from mercury magnetics. I am making the 80w cathode biased mk1 version though. If it sounds as good as my Vox ac50, then I will be a happy camper.

I think the valvstorm kit and instructions are good way to go. The first time you build use a kit. I tend to spend more on shipping charges than on components when I don't use a kit. I miss a value here and there

I wanted to build an amp a couple years ago. Sourced all the components from Mouser and Digikey, got the schems, had everything ready. But I realized I'm not a good enough electrics cobbler to make it work, so I took all the parts to a local ampmaker (Sonic Pipe Amps, Chicagoland area) and ended up with an absolute gem of a 2204. Mercury iron, high tolerance parts, mil-spec pots, Mojotone cab and chassis.

IMG_4027.jpeg

Thanks for the responses thus far. I checked out the Valvestorm stuff and it looks pretty enticing. I do like the step by step instructions, very detailed. Though I do wish they offered things as a full kit as a one click add to cart instead of going through the part list. At least it was made easier by annotating which parts you need to make a kit.

I've done a few Valvestorm/Metro builds and they came out great. I recently did the Mojotone 2204 build (combo) and it absolutely slays. I dare say it sounds every bit as good as my real 4010 and did it for half the money.
For the Mojotone 2204 build, did you go with JMP or JCM spec? I can’t decide which I should do.

Back