Anyone own , owned or played the Metropoulos DVL-1 ?

Panhead5

I'm curious about this amp . Looks very versatile and Plexi based and the clips are good . Anyone have any experience with these amps ?

I had a Metro-Plex and a Super-Plex. I sorely regretted selling my Metro-Plex in all my gear whoring. I also miss the Super-Plex but it didn't necessarily match my musical style.
If you're considering a DVL-1, you won't be disappointed with the tone for sure. Metropoulos amps are at the very top echelon in terms of feel and tone - especially if you're into vintage Marshall replicas. You can't go wrong man.

I owned the very first metroplex. Fucking loud amplifier. It can do the van halen thing well but wasn’t my thing. It can do the modded Marshall tone ok but it isn’t heavy by itself and needs help being boosted on top of its own internal boost.

My modded Marshall moved it on without any boost pedals, and it didn’t hold a candle to my bogner anyway.

The DVL-1 68 channel is exactly the same as the metroplex. Only when you go to the highest gain setting is it tuned to artist specifications. The onboard boost is also customizable in terms of what frequencies you want it to boost.

I’d hold off on a DVL-1 right now though. George is no longer making them anymore and said he has a new amp based on it that isn’t artist tuned.

Excellent amp, I just bought a new one recently. Also have owned a metroplex.

George has not stopped making them, but he did say recently that he has just used his last head shell and won’t run any more for a while.

It’s super versatile to me and what I play. 65/66 mode are really where it’s at for me, the 68/mod are a bit darker and just not what I usually gravitate to (but nice to have). The boost is excellent and very tweakable, and the mid boost is just perfect for solos. I love it.

Excellent amp, I just bought a new one recently. Also have owned a metroplex.

George has not stopped making them, but he did say recently that he has just used his last head shell and won’t run any more for a while.

It’s super versatile to me and what I play. 65/66 mode are really where it’s at for me, the 68/mod are a bit darker and just not what I usually gravitate to (but nice to have). The boost is excellent and very tweakable, and the mid boost is just perfect for solos. I love it.
He’s said in the past he’s moving on from it in his group on social media. He has the new super-plex V2 and is designing a new amp that doesn’t have the artist tweaks of the DVL. There’s rumors there’s a new metroplex and I had people use that as a reason to devalue my metroplex, but no one knows for sure when or if the new metroplex will become available for purchase to consumers.

I only have experience with the Metroplex I owned and was not impressed. Sounded filtered or lacking vs a real Marshall. It’s like the fresh squeezed vs from concentrate oj analogy I always use for these things and I think it’s obvious which one the metro was

Owned a DVL-1 for a bit. As a channel switcher, it is super lacking. I could never get the EQ to sound great across the modes. You either get ice pick cleans or wooly high gain.

As a tweakable Marshall with oodles of gain, it was pretty sweet. Much rawer than most modern amps and oodles of kerrang. Tight low end made it lots of fun with a downtuned guitar.

I ultimately found the versatility unnecessary within my amp collection and I didn’t think what it did uniquely was worth 3k to me. Cool, not cool enough to justify the cost for me.

Last edited:
Thanks guys !! I got a bunch of responses all over the place . Now I'm kind of wondering what its successor will be but It's hard t go wrong with one if his amps . Decisions decisions !!!

I couldn't get rid of the Super-Plex fast enough. So much goddamn bass. If you turned the bass control off, the volume disappeared! Now there's a Super-Plex II?
Just from YT vids I can tell the Freidman Twin Sister shits all over it for the JTM 45 vibe.

Back