Anyone use 10-52's in standard tuning?

thiswaythatway

I swapped a pickup so i had a set of 9.5's and threw them on. Took them right off and threw them in the trash. :LOL: :LOL: Damm, i can't use anything below 10's anymore. I had a set of these 10-52 and decided to try them. My guitar is pretty resonant, but now, it's like the whole think shakes when i hit a full chord. And tuning stability is way better than thinner strings. The top 3 strings are the same as a regular set so it's not that wierd feeling.

I've been listening to soo much Devin Townsend though that i have to try open C. :thumbsup: Thick strings rule. :rock:

11-49 with wound G in standard is where it's at :rock:

Playing solos really rips up my nubs though. Great for rhythm and like you said, the tone and tuning stability of thicker strings is superior.

11-49or50 for me in standard drop D. I tried a 52 but I got too much of a blunt thud with the 6th.

I might use that for drop D, but a .48, .49., or .50 would be preferable. A .52 in standard would be too much though. It's always a trade off with thicker strings, chords do sound bigger, but they're darker and smoother. A .46 seems perfect in standard tuning. It's crunchier and has better harmonics imho. I don't ever go below 10's. I can't see how anyone can stand all the flapping around with .09's. :D

9's sound weak to me. i can play better on them, but the tone/notes suffers. i like 10-46, happy medium for D standard.

i also love not feeling like im going to break the high E string every time i do a bend :LOL: :LOL:

I use 10-52 for C#. While thicker strings might be better for tuning stability I prefer the loose feel on the thin strings! and I can bend all the way up to the low E if I want hahah. I find I get better bent articulation this way? Shrugs I just like em.

I also use the DR HiBeam hex core strings I like em alot.

Cheers!

C

I use them for half step down.
So used to them now that i just got a new gat and when i was trying it out with 9s on it i just couldnt play properly, everytime i went to play chords i just dug in too hard and the strings were moving too far with the pick

gonna change them tonight and finally play the new guitar properly

10-52 for everything! Mostly a half step down, though. What's funny is that when I started using them you had to buy individual strings as no company sold it as packs... And now? Eeeeveryone has them.

I have been using 10-52 on all my electric guitars since 1994.
I play in standard tuning or drop D most of the time.
It just feels and sounds right to me.
Sometimes I drop my Strat a half step.
I use Slide / open tunings D,E,G,A and dadgad often.

I did the whole drop tuning B/A etc in the 90's, using even heavier strings .... not into it at all any more. But I do screw around with it once in awhile.

I tried heavier than 10-52 for standard and found I did not like it as much. Before 1994 I used 10-46 most of the time for standard tuning. Now they feel like rubber bands and sound thin.

I tried them. I still like at least 11s, and usually 12s or 13s for standard tunings. Just feels and sounds better to me. But I know some serius tone has been had with 8s and 9s - I just don't like them that thin.

10 - 46 for me. I was up to 11 - 54 a little while ago, and while I love the neck tones with the thicker strings, it was just sounding a little too muddy and dark for distorted bridge applications.

Thats the gauge I've been playing for the past like at least 5 years, I've been considering switching to 11-52's and possibly experimenting with a wound g, but I just don't want to deal with having to reshape the nut on my guitars and all that stuff for the thicker strings... especially on the tremolo guitars.

Back