Anyone using greenbacks for high gain stuff ?

They can . I have a cab and with certain heads of definitely can do metal. Hermansson uses them in his chug videos. But he has old ass ones

Love GB's in a band context. They cut through mix beautifully. I was a bit skeptical at first until I bought a Framus Cobra cab to pair with the head and sweet jesus, the tone was insane. That pair is long gone but ever since, I've always had a GB loaded cab in my arsenal whenever the mood calls for it.

It can depend a lot on what cabinet they're used in. They're great for high gain, but 25's wouldn't be my first choice if I were going for a Metallica or Slipknot kinda sound. I would go 20's instead (tighter and more aggressive, less low end though), but imo would need the help of some higher wattage speakers combined to beef up the sound. For that kinda music I like to at least have some speakers in the mix with deep, extended lows. Greenbacks don't have that. You need higher wattage speakers for that, but if the cab itself has a beefy enough sound (like an Ubercab or Diezel) you can forget all I said lol

Last edited:
GBs can handle high gain just fine. Just another flavor. Not quite as tight as a V30 but tight enough imo. They sound better to me than V30s with the exception of the early 8 ohm Marshall version.
I gotta compare again, but I wanna say the 20w GB's (both the heritage reissues & pre-rola's) are tighter than the V30's I've had or at least have a faster response. The V30's though sound maybe more metal and modern to me. The 25H magnet pre-rola GB's also have the tightness and fast response over other GB's probably since it has the same white voice coil as the 20w pre-rolas. Big mistake imo for them to stop using those white coils in 1968 onwards

I gotta compare again, but I wanna say the 20w GB's (both the heritage reissues & pre-rola's) are tighter than the V30's I've had or at least have a faster response. The V30's though sound maybe more metal and modern to me. The 25H magnet pre-rola GB's also have the tightness and fast response over other GB's probably since it has the same white voice coil as the 20w pre-rolas. Big mistake imo for them to stop using those white coils in 1968 onwards
Someday I hope to try one of those 20w originals. They seem to be more rare than original blues

Greenbacks are great for metal. EVh Celestions are an interesting speaker that I have a lot of experience with. The back of them says 20 watt, so I wonder if they are similar to the design of the 20 watt greenbacks that @braintheory is so fond of. I know that different eras of greenies have a different sound, and EVH was into one particular era pretty hard. But before I went with the greenback brother H30 annies, I was pretty close to going back to a greenback and I play mostly metal. So rock on!

Everyone one of my videos have been with a pair of 4x12s loaded with greenback reissues.

They can do metal just fine and also move some air. I run two 4x12s of them because they do sound drastically different in a slant versus straight cab. I recommend them for slants but for straights I recommend celestion 75Hz creambacks.

Love GB's in a band context. They cut through mix beautifully. I was a bit skeptical at first until I bought a Framus Cobra cab to pair with the head and sweet jesus, the tone was insane. That pair is long gone but ever since, I've always had a GB loaded cab in my arsenal whenever the mood calls for it.
That‘s what I heard to. You haven‘t heard the full potential of a Framus Cobra if not played through a Framus GB cab.

Someday I hope to try one of those 20w originals. They seem to be more rare than original blues
Yes and the 25H version is even rarer. I’d take the 20M if I could only keep one, but glad to have 2 25H’s, the only H mag ones that I’ll keep. It’s kinda like the mids are so good that it can afford some of the hollowness of the H mag and still sound great lol. The heritage 20’s are quite good for a reissue though. As far as non-vintage speakers go they’re great imo

EVH 5153 cabs have greenbacks (Evh's version) and the EVH 5153 Stealth heads are well known metal monsters.
That was, until the death of EVH at least.
I don't know what's the deal with the new stuff.

Back