Are Mexican Telecasters even worth owning? Good playability?

Gooseman

Do any of you own these guitars? I was contemplating getting a new guitar and didn't want to get another "premium" guitar. I just can't keep justifying spending over $1000 on ANOTHER guitar. My wife is cool with it, but I am not. I have so many other things to buy -- better monitors, a few pedals, a Royer 121, etc.

What's the scoop on a new Mexican Tele?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

I suggest trying a few and picking out the one you like best.

I was going to buy another one the other day. Beautiful finish, great sound, great player... 480 euros brand new. But I just couldn't find a reason to have another.

The one I have I bought used in a store in England for 200 pounds, and it's a great guitar.

Not sure about the "new" ones.
I have a early 90's with a maple neck and a hot rail in the bridge. With the pickup, I have a buck 80 in it and it spanks. I have vintage shit left and right and never hesitate to play it over my high dollar guitars.
Try to buy from original owner who gave up learning and is selling on CL.

MIM Teles are just fine. The Road Worn series is on of the best bang for the buck teles on the market right now. If you want a nicer finish, look for a used Baja. Killer guitars. Here's my MIM tele...

T-01-1.jpg

I know you asked about Tele's but I have a MIM HSS Start with a maple neck. I installed Graph Tech saddles and a Duncan JB pup and this guitar is every bit as good as the American made one that I have. Again, not a Tele but does speak to the MIM series.

fender126":2y9y9is5 said:
I know you asked about Tele's but I have a MIM HSS Start with a maple neck. I installed Graph Tech saddles and a Duncan JB pup and this guitar is every bit as good as the American made one that I have. Again, not a Tele but does speak to the MIM series.

+1 Mirrors my experience with MIM strats. A nice Tele is on my list of guitars to get. I wouldn't hesitate on a MIM Tele if it spoke to me when I tried it out. I suggest playing a few though before you pull the trigger. I have also hear really good things about the road worn series.

SFW":380lu0gr said:
MIM Teles are just fine. The Road Worn series is on of the best bang for the buck teles on the market right now. If you want a nicer finish, look for a used Baja. Killer guitars. Here's my MIM tele...

T-01-1.jpg

That tele... :inlove:

I've owned 3 of them so far, and my current one is the only one I've liked. So like its been said already, play a bunch of them before you decide to buy.

Having said that, I LOVE the one I have now. Bought it used at GC for $250. Neck plays like butter. Stock pickups were just OK, but that was a cheap fix.

DSCN3167.jpg

Love MIM teles!! Upgrade the pickups and you're golden! I really dig the Chopper T in the bridge, and stock neck.

I used to just pass by the MIM Fender section, but thought I'd give them a try. I bought a '72 RI tele used for $600 which I LOVE! +1 on the Road Worn series. They feel and sound great.

They are pretty nice actually. BUT-look for a used USA G&L ASAT. You'd be surprised how cheap they can be had...

I'm thinking of picking up one of those under 200$ squire affinity telecasters... all good reviews so far from what I have heard. You know, just to get that twang back in my arsenal of guitars.

glassjaw7":bd76xgc9 said:
They are pretty nice actually. BUT-look for a used USA G&L ASAT. You'd be surprised how cheap they can be had...

Don't the necks on the G&L ASATs feel different though form a MIM Fender?

SFW":io72pk14 said:

T-01-1.jpg

That is quite the nice custom finish you've put on it!

:salute:

Kapo_Polenton":3u0pg59s said:
I'm thinking of picking up one of those under 200$ squire affinity telecasters... all good reviews so far from what I have heard. You know, just to get that twang back in my arsenal of guitars.

Just keep in mind that the Afinity guitars are top load only. This is not an issue for some, but was a deal breaker for me. That and the one I helped a friend refinish was made from plywood. Just an FYI.

If I do go with a MIM Tele, I might have to go with the maple fretboard. I've never used maple before in practice or a at a gig. I've tried maple fretboards out at GCs, but for limited periods of time. They have such a prettiness about them.

Back