Asian bands that kick ass

Twice and Everglow \:D/
Don't get me started on K-Pop; it's a subject I do my best to avoid. Been a fan since 2011 and know all the good stuff.

IMHO 2012->2014 was when it peaked for originality and melody-driven songs:

f(x), Girls' Generation, 4Minute, 2NE1, A Pink, After School, AOA [Ace of Angels], Block B, BoA [Kwon Bo Ah], Brown Eyed Girls, Crayon Pop, Dal Shabet (Moon Sherbet), DBSK (Dong Bang Shin Ki) [TVXQ], EXID, Exo-K and Exo-M, Girl's Day, Hello Venus, Infinite, IU, Kara, Ladies' Code, Led Apple, Lovelyz, Mamamoo, Miss A, Nine Muses, PSY, Rainbow, RaNia, Secret, Seo In-Young, SHINee (of course), Shinhwa, Sistar, Spica, Stellar, Super Junior-K, T-ara, Teen Top, Topp Dogg, U-Kiss, VIXX, Wonder Girls and ZE-A [Children of Empire].

These days I really dig the EDM with real bass and clean rhythm geetar. Some ultra-groovy stuff happening.

Thankfully the trap era seems to have died on its ass.

i'm like an outsider looking in with k-pop. i'm not even sure how some of this stuff came onto my radar, but the stuff that did is earworm city and i love it. I have a playlist on spotify that i just keep addding to from stuff they've recommended. Blackpink, t-ara, twice, everglow, exid, itzy, newjeans, sistar, aoa, hyuna, orange caramel, aespa, and a few others.

random thoughts:

I really like the stuff that resmbles old school detroit techno (tt by twice, or super shy by newjeans have this down) but with very polished songwriting.

the girl in exid who sounds like shes smoked 2 packs a day since she was 5 has a cool voice. 😁

i did notice alot of trap inspired song out there. That trap beat thing is SOOOO played the fuck out. The stuttering 808 high hat that sounds like a lawn sprinkler drove me nuts for a while until i finally embraced it. Trap rap has one beat per song. The k-pop tracks would have like 4 solid beats per song. those producers took that style and really ran with it and "happied" that style of beat up.

my 4 year old loves Bo Peep by T-ARA. she calls it "the robot song". She asks me to put it on every time i pick her up from preschool. i told her if me or her mother (my ex) ever get angry with her, to just say to us "don't loose your temper so quickly"
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I saw Loudness open up for ACDC .... back in 86 I think .... my first ever concert ...Who Made Who Tour

these guys are currently my favorite ..... Mr.Miyagi on guitar ....Bass player has the Gene Simmons vibe .... and the drummer has hair like Elvis ....

Black Jappath

It took me several years to give them a chance: three teenage girls in schoolgirl uniforms and the song recommended the most was "Catch Me if You Can"......it all seemed a bit too much, or a bit too strange......but it all works and sounds great. They have a great backing band, and the girls can really sing. Sure, it's all put together like a lot of pop bands, but I don't care if the music is good.

I can see why some people couldn't take them as teenage girls, but that was a decade ago. They are in their mid 20s now. It's still a little cutesy because that's their shtick, but I'd imagine that anyone who decided to go to one of their shows would most certainly enjoy themselves.

And now as a parent of young girls, I happy that my girls are in to them too. It's nice to see kick ass young girls that aren't selling sex. The dancing isn't provocative and they are covered head to toe on stage.

B'z is pretty fire

If you want to hear absolutely insane chaotic shit check out Jiluka

I can see why some people couldn't take them as teenage girls, but that was a decade ago. They are in their mid 20s now. It's still a little cutesy because that's their shtick, but I'd imagine that anyone who decided to go to one of their shows would most certainly enjoy themselves.

And now as a parent of young girls, I happy that my girls are in to them too. It's nice to see kick ass young girls that aren't selling sex. The dancing isn't provocative and they are covered head to toe on stage.

I could of then if I'd just been open-minded about it. Otherwise agree, and I like having more women around in the metal world. Shakes things up a bit.

these guys are currently my favorite ..... Mr.Miyagi on guitar ....Bass player has the Gene Simmons vibe .... and the drummer has hair like Elvis ....

These guys kick ass. Guitar player is killer, has GREAT tone. Lots of good live stuff on Youtube.. Amost a COC vibe..

Back