Bandleader criticized my rig at a tryout

VonBonfire

A buddy of mine plays drums in an 50's early rock n roll unit and cleared it with the band leader to let me come down and try out the other day. He told me it's just a low key basic garage rehearsal so I grabbed my old champ and hoofed it over there and introduced myself. Dude was kinda cold right off the top and as I went to set up my stuff he was like "whoa whoa whoa, what's that?!" I was like "my amp". He says "it looks like something somebody threw away". And I was like "yeah, well it's mine now". I just don't know what to think of this guy. The rehearsal went pretty good after that. I'm thinking maybe a hard pass on this group is in order based on the leader's attitude. Pretty sure I could swipe his band away from him clean and easy though so maybe I should accept the gigs he offered me. I told him I'd have to double check. He's tenor saxophone and tries to sing but it's pretty bad.

What do you think?

Capture.PNG

This is a bit confusing

Do you mean he acted that way because of the amps CONDITION or because it's a tiny champ?

If you were IN the fifties, like time travel, the tiny champ would be new, I guess

Maybe that's what he's on about, but I'm a bit confused from your post

If I showed up for a band tryout with my orange 3" micro crush, I can see why I might get some backlash, generally a champ is decently loud though

I'd tell him his wife looks like something from a trash can, but good thing I like trashy women because she's coming over to cook me dinner tonight and blow me. Then give him the big boot to the face and the leg drop for the 1-2-3. After that, ask which amp he suggests you bring to the next practice.

I’ve had a few dudes laugh at me walking in with my vh140c asking “durrr are you really gonna use a bass amp LOL durrr”, the sarcastic laughing quickly turned into a confused stare as I started playing and they realized their rigs or playing weren’t gonna keep up with me and it was fun telling them just that as I walked out

If his singing sucks and the first thing he does is criticising your gear, it`s kind of delusional. Whatever you do, if you don`t join, tell the band (not him) that his singing sucks.

Back