Bark at the Moon isolated track...all sorts of buried gems

SpiderWars

First off, I was playing this song so wrong for the longest. Listen to the little fills on the top strings when he's holding the G chord for the section starting at about 1:38. I never heard any of that, partly because of the cheesy synth part there (which it kind of clashes with anyway). Ben Eller has a really good lesson on all the cool, typically mis-tabbed parts including the harmony for the outro solo.

What a monster. Loved how he came along at the height of EVERYONE in that genre
doing their best EVH with the tapping and dive bombs - and then he shows up with
maybe the biggest guitar slot at the time playing a fixed bridge and not tapping.

Also read he walked in to the audition with a gorgeous babe on each arm, played
his bits, and then drove off with both of them in a sports car.

Not sure that's true, but it's a great story.

Apparently Lynch said he bombed the audition but he looked amazing and they could tell he had chops so he got the gig. So glad he did because look at what he put to tape. Amazing player, there aren't very many players doing so many little unique rythmic things like he did now let alone then. I know he is sloppy in his older age but he was impressive back in the day even into Badlands.

Hey donnieb, if you’re so worried about what the mods think about what you post in the off topic section, why are are posting in the main section with a quote from your girlfriend at the bottom?
Get rid of it

Apparently Lynch said he bombed the audition but he looked amazing.

In one of the Poison videos back then, C.C. DeVille added a short scene that
had to be in honor of the Jake story.

He arrives in a sports car with two hot babes in the front seat and his guitar
case in the back, and then he saunters into the studio with them on his arms,
and one of the girls carrying the case.

So freaking 80s classic!

If you listen closely to the intro on the full recorded version, this isolated clip doesn’t capture what’s going on. The main riff ONLY at the intro goes da dat dat dat dat, da det det det det, det dot da dat. I can hear it clearly on the full version. The first “da” on the riff happens at both position of the riff.

If you listen closely to the intro on the full recorded version, this isolated clip doesn’t capture what’s going on. The main riff ONLY at the intro goes da dat dat dat dat, da det det det det, det dot da dat. I can hear it clearly on the full version. The first “da” on the riff happens at both position of the riff.
I'm probably not understanding you but because of the loud snare and cymbal there, I always thought that pickup "da" was a G5 stab but it's only a G5 on the very first one. It's a different chord on the other ones. Is that what you mean?

I don't think it follows the drums though. I always thought it did too but listen close. It kind of explains why it doesn't sound super tight too.
I put it on a slow down program and you can hear it. Musically it doesn’t make sense to NOT have the guitar play the emphasized drum beats only at that one point (that I show in my clip above). The first time around the drums emphasize each part of the intro riff. Later on in the rhythm the drums changed emphasis to only one part of the riff which we hear in the isolated clip. Maybe it’s added after they recorded the main riff, either way, it’s there.

Last edited:
I
I put it on a slow down program and you can hear it. Musically it doesn’t make sense to NOT have the guitar play the emphasized drum beats only at that one point (that I show in my clip above). The first time around the drums emphasize each part of the intro riff. Later on in the rhythm the drums changed emphasis to only one part of the riff which we hear in the isolated clip. Maybe it’s added after they recorded the main riff, either way, it’s there.
I tried half-speed on Youtube and there is definitely a keyboard part there that has an echo on it that is totally throwing me off. It's in the background but just enough to be there and it is playing the exact stab you're talking about. Or may be there is another guitar too but you're right there is something playing that stab.

I

I tried half-speed on Youtube and there is definitely a keyboard part there that has an echo on it that is totally throwing me off. It's in the background but just enough to be there and it is playing the exact stab you're talking about. Or may be there is another guitar too but you're right there is something playing that stab.
I think it’s an overdub they added afterwards since it’s not in the original isolated track. Either way the song is great and the isolated track reveals lots of stuff. I hear a slide in one part that I’ve never picked up on... etc. 👍

Apparently Lynch said he bombed the audition but he looked amazing and they could tell he had chops so he got the gig. So glad he did because look at what he put to tape. Amazing player, there aren't very many players doing so many little unique rythmic things like he did now let alone then. I know he is sloppy in his older age but he was impressive back in the day even into Badlands.
Jake also says he was awful at the audition

Back