Been going back and forth between these 2 guitars now trying to figure out which one to keep

kmanick

I could keep both , but don't need to.
In this corner
2009 Ibanez Rg1550M
liquifire/Crunchlab pickups
Red Bishop trem arm, locking trem post mod kit incoming
in mint condition
and in this corner
2020 Charvel DK24 Dark Amber
push in floyd arm
Suhr Aldrich/SSV pickups
2 push pull volume pots for maximum tonal variety
I keep going back and forth between these 2, they both has +/-'s
The Charvel's frets feel monstrous compared to the Ibanez "jumbos' which I like
the neck feels wider to me on the Ibanez but that may just be because it's 17" radius vs 12-16
surprisingly the neck back shapes on these 2 are very similar (Wizard Prestige vs Speed profile) not like the super wiazrd Hp that is on the Rg657 msk I just sold
(couldn't play it standing up for long)
both sound very good, the Suhr's in the mahogany body have much more mids to them
and the Liquifire is a bit higher output than the SSV but tonally ? pretty much a draw I could go either way
the finish on the backs of these also feels very similar, I took down the Ibanez one a bit with a scotchbrite and now they feel almost exactly the same.
any of you guys go back and forth between 2 brands on similar style guitars on a regular basis?
I go to my Les Paul quite regularly as well but that's a different animal next to these 2

I know first world problems right
with DK24.jpg

These situations cause trauma for me. First…..If I only kept one, I would constantly be wondering …… should I have kept the other one instead? You can’t win.

My only issue with the Ibanez would be the middle pickup. My pick always lands right where it is located. And lowering it, never helped me.

You have to keep both.

Right now I am leaning that way, I think I like both of them enough to keep them both.
The middle pickup I actually like , I use positions 2/4 a lot with my band, this one is a bit bright (stock Sv1), still works pretty well but I've got a heavy blues II and a Duncan Classic stack+ in a draw that might be a little beefier.
If the Ibanez had real jumbos like the Charvel does I think it may have edged it out, Ibanez Jumbos are more like medium jumbo
compared to what Jackson/Charvel uses IE: real Dunlop 6100 wire.
I had my tech do a refret for me on an Ibanez rg7620 at the beginning of the summer with 6100 wire and what a difference.

Only then, can you truly enter the brotherhood that is Rigtalk.

And maybe, just maybe, one day, as I myself hope to, you might be accepted into the prestigious and mighty gorilla gang.
well I'm at 8 right now so it's not like these are my only 2 LOL! down from 22 :)

I've been an Ibanez guy for 20 years or so, but I've always loved the look of Charvels. I've been thinking about grabbing a San Dimas in Chlorine Burst for a while now...just can't seem to pull the trigger.

I had a nice ibanez prestige many years ago and although now I prefer fatter necks, I was just plain faster and able to do more arpeggio work on the ibanez necks compared to Gibson necks. I’ve considered getting something super flat again just to have as a tool for that style of playing.

I would keep both. Both have their purpose. Just because you wouldn’t play one or the other as often doesn’t mean it isn’t worth keeping around - you don’t sell tools you don’t use often do you? No, you keep it around for when you do need it.

Back