Beginner gear...

MrDowntown

hey lads...

got a friend, and her young daughter is apparently teaching herself how to play guitar, and bass.

she's got a bass. wants a guitar and an amp...that'll handle both. i was thinking maybe a used Pod500x or something similar...but that may be more than she needs right now. i know, technically you can plug a bass in to a guitar amp...but.... is that really the way to got? for what she's doing i'd typically recommend like a Peavey Vyper or something similar...

So,,, i decent good beginner guitar and amp that'll handle both. shes a single mom...on a shoestring budget... so about $500 all in.

thanks guys.

I’m thinking a newer Fender Bassman combo; they’re cheap enough and she could just hit it with a boost pedal for some dirt with guitar. A few on GC used for 150-250.
My experience has been guitar amps don’t do very well with Bass; while Bass amps with a pedal can sound decent enough for guitar.

Yamaha THR10 series work great for guitar and bass (at low volumes)

I've actually played several live bass gigs using my THR10X out to my Powerstation + cab

Tech 21 Power Engine. Sounds great with guitar and bass, even keyboard/vocals. Will take anything you throw at it. Tons of on onboard EQ options/input options. Can keep up with a drummer. Get whatever POD and let her upgrade later. Also will grow with the musician in the future as you can use it for anything.

Last edited:
The $150 Yamaha Strat or Epiphone SG or Junior. Swap the tuners with $40 Gotohs and sand the fret ends.

I bought my daughter a Marshall combo used at guitar center. Tiny one. Maybe 10 watts or so. Actually sounded good. I played thru it. Ripped some chords. She played thru it. She frowned. Haha
I said it’s a practice amp. Don’t think she plays much. Lives out of state

I wold think a Katana would be a killer beginner amp. Got everything they need to explore without having to dive down into menus and all that shit for effects, Sounds decent at bedroom volumes, technically loud enough to do some jams with people someday, and handles bass at bedroom volume using the acoustic setting. Under 500. Takes half the budget but grab a cheap Squier or something for a guitar,

I'd say spark too. I just sold mine for $150, and there are others out there beginning to circulate on the used market now. They have little speakers, but they are designed to be played with guitars and basses. They actually include bass amps (ampeg) and effects (Muff for bass as well as an octave pedal, are just a few off the top of my head), and even some stuff for acoustics, like a fishman amp. And they do firmware updates that include new amps and effects every so often. Not to mention the jam along feature, and the one that will let you play it a song and it will learn and show you the chords, then you can slow it down and even loop harder to learn sections. Yeah, this is definitely the way I'd go without a doubt if one of my kids decided they wanted to learn, then I'd get em a used Epiphione Les Paul in good shape and maybe a used Peavey or Ibanez SG bass. The speakers are little, but you would be surprised, those little amps get LOUD and not in a bad way. Considering what it was, I didn't get any bad tones out of that little amp. It was fun and inspiring for me, so I can only imagine the fun a kid starting out could have with one.

Spark#10.jpgguitar#88.jpgSpark#3.jpgSpark#9.jpg

Last edited:
Back