Best 40-50w 1x12 combo for rock?

Spaceboy

I want a medium to high gain but NOT metal amp in a 1x12 combo format. It needs to have two channels, one being British flavored crunch, in the JCM800 ballpark when it comes to gain amount. I would prefer it voiced a little dark, and not have the sizzle that most modern high gainers have. I want a more vintage vibe. The clean channel needs to be bright and chiming but not really Vox flavored, because that's harsh to me. Maybe more in the Fender ballpark, but with a gain/pre knob to get some hair to light crunch on my cleans. I need 40-50 watts, not set on any poweramp type but probably EL34s or 6L6s since that's what I'm used to. It needs to take pedals, particularly fuzz well. I don't need an effects loop, power scaling, or much mumbo jumbo, I like things kind of minimalistic. I would prefer reverb but if an amp nails it on all other points I can look past that. I do want it to look good... yeah, looks do matter to me. It should cost $1500 or less.

What amp is going to do all that for me? The Budda Superdrive is what immediately comes to mind, but shared EQ is slightly lame, and it's a hideous design, haha. It may be what I end up with though, since I've loved the SD80 in the past. The 45 has KT66s, which I don't know anything about.

Also, NO MESA. The only one I would consider is maybe the Lonestar or the Special, but generally I do not like Mesa amps.

It sounds like the EVH may work for you but many think its too fizzy. Stay on channel's 1 and 2 with a boost when needed. Depending on the pedal, I find that boosting channel 2 is less fizzy than cranking it's designated gain. Also, it sounds like you're looking for something portable so go with the 50w head and matching 1x12. The combo is a beast and doesn't fit in most cars as well as the separate head/speaker option. The flexibility of just taking your head and plugging into a back-line 4x12 is worth it alone.

I have to admit though, the best sounding 1x12 I've heard for rock tones was a boosted Electradyne, and I'm not a Mesa guy either.

I have had two 5153 heads and it has too much sizzle and fizz for what I'm wanting now. It's a great amp though. You're right about boosting the blue channel being the ticket with it. The cleans are passable but not stellar. I do need great cleans with light crunch available.

The Shiva looks and sounds good, but maybe too expensive. $1500 is my budget and the Shiva seems to go a little more than that. It has some really great sounds from what I've heard so far!

I don't know anything about the Electradyne or Victory amps, I'll at least check out a demo.

If you decide to try a Splawn, and I think you may live close to them, I might be willing to unload mine to get a Kemper again.

I'm interested in this thread because I was just going to start one very similar. I have a 100w EVH and a 50w. I plan on keeping the 100w and sell the 50. I want a tube amp that is very portable and sounds huge. So far I am REALLY digging the clips of the Bogner Atma. Every clip sounds great with all 3 channels. Amazing cleans.

Find a Jubilee 1x12 combo. The clean is decent as long as the rhythm clip is not engaged..then it becomes dirty which you may like. The amp is a darker Marshall tone, and with pedals can get as heavy as you want. I think there's one for sale in the classifieds...sounds as good as any modded Marshall I've tried....with a nice boost of course...takes pedals very well and its collectable...not too many made. I've had 3 other Jubilee heads and I like the 1X12 combo best.

i've been running a 40c for about the last 8-10 months. i wound up adding a blackstar htv 112 extension cab. i found the time based effects and bottom end to be lacking in a live situation without the extra cab. the stock seventy80 is an o.k. speaker.. but i think a 65 watt creamback would be an improvement.

A Peavey Classic 30 112 is my vote, though I'm not sure I'd call it high gain. The Peavey Delta Blues 115 is pretty much the same amplifier, but adds a tremolo and the different speaker. I've seen people remark about the 115 having a darker sound though you'll have to listen for yourself.

I can't believe no one mentioned the Fryette Memphis 30. That amp is a little monster with great cleans and gain from mild to Wylde.

Back