Best Friedman

Best Friedman? .... NAKED - use Billy Howerdel's settings.
EQ in the loop...forget about it.đź‘Ť
More gain?... Mk2, no thanks.

I am pretty sure its an original circuit by dave friedman, I don't know the details though. I would imagine its a BE or HBE or JJ style preamp with a bunch of tweaks.
I think Dave has wrote on here before that on paper it's very similar to the JJ, mostly just higher gain and more brutal

Every Friedman Ive played sounded great. That being said, Im always left feeling like I could get the same tone with a stock Marshall and a dirt box. Just my opinion of course

Nice, thanks for the clarification, may have to find one and give it a shot
Wasn’t a keeper for me, but yeah good to try these things for yourself if you can, especially if you’re super curious about stuff you’ve not tried yet like I always am haha

First Friedman I owned was the JJ 100 -great amp but dark. for me either a Koko boost or Buxom took it where I wanted it to go
Others I have owned:
Smallbox twice. MV for me hit too fast.
PT 20 fun amp, just need more power
JJ jr -did not like the lack of mids.
Phil X not enough flexibility and a little too dark for me

Be Deluxe 100w (right when it 1st came out), loved and gigged with it until I got suckered into a Mezzabarba Trinity and could not justify keeping both.
Jake E Lee head Loved the Plexi ch, I felt like the JCM 800 side sounded nothing like a JCM 800 and made me work too hard to find pinch harmonics. Coupled with it's price tag AND the SB had a better dirt ch and a sweeter gain side as you hear in the vid below.

Enter the mighty Slo 100. I've had two but this amp is my all time favorite But felt like I needed a more traditional hot rodded Marshall tone so I got another BE deluxe 100w and LOVE it for just that. Now I'm getting tinnitus from all this tone testing and gigging, Need to use my IEM's more!

The BE deluxe has the most versatile volume control of any amps ever period!

Here are some clips I made of a few I mentioned.

Jake compared to Smallbox, man I'm a blessed dude!

X

JJ100

Pink taco

BE Deluxe 100

I have 13 amp heads . No Friedman. I think of getting Buttetslax or JJ . I have a wizard and diezels and Bogner Uberschall. I’ll never get to try one in person so I got to decide blind
I have only played a few Friedmans but based on your other amps, I'd get the Butterslax. From what I've read, seems to be the one that would match that genre so to speak.

I have only played a few Friedmans but based on your other amps, I'd get the Butterslax. From what I've read, seems to be the one that would match that genre so to speak.
I love Jerry’s tone a lot too so this is very hard lol . But what you said makes sense to me

I would grab the custom 50 if I was getting a Friedman. I've never played one but it seems like a cool amp. The Friedman have a sound I can't bond with. Like it's too perfect. This is me being nit picky but I like stuff that is a little more unrefined. Although every time I use a modeler the Friedman models are usually my go to.

Apparently the custom 50 was a bit more aggressive than his typical offerings. I have a friend who said he had one on order but it's been over a year since he mentioned it so I don't know if he cancelled or what.

I would grab the custom 50 if I was getting a Friedman. I've never played one but it seems like a cool amp. The Friedman have a sound I can't bond with. Like it's too perfect. This is me being nit picky but I like stuff that is a little more unrefined. Although every time I use a modeler the Friedman models are usually my go to.

Apparently the custom 50 was a bit more aggressive than his typical offerings. I have a friend who said he had one on order but it's been over a year since he mentioned it so I don't know if he cancelled or what.
I feel this . I need a lil abrasion in my tone . It’s metal

Naylor all day long. More rawness, aggression, and harder hitting.

Best is too subjective. I really love all the ones I've had. I don't use clean channels, so I'm more of a single channel guy that uses guitar volume for cleans, and then boosts a hard rock or dirty channel for metal stuff.

BE50 DLX: My first Friedman. Loved it. It started the journey.
Slax: Channel 2/JBE was my favorite on this amp. Didn't play the other two channels, so I flipped it.
BE100: I had a 2017. It was great. I was missing the Thump and Response knob from the BE50.
JJ100: My favorite. Took me a while to figure out how to run the EQ for my tastes, which was Presence up, Treble back. This was my gigging amp for almost 3 years. The only thing missing for me on this amp was a Thump & Response Knob. Mine already had a JBE MV knob.

Enter a custom mod JJ50 Dave did for me. The JJ circuit in 50w format, and added DLX features (no clean, just JJ BE & JBE). He added what was always missing for me with the JJ100.

Dave can do whatever you want if you want something modded.

JJ100 is the bestI have played of the three models I had. I love that amp. Great high end detail in the gain channels. Mine had the extra master for the JBE as well.

All this thread has done is make me want a Naylor
Lol any reason not to? It’s the amp I wished the Friedman and most Bogners sounded like. Wasted so many years with those and many other amps just because almost no one talked about Naylor’s on here and the ones that did really did a terrible and inaccurate job describing them (saying they were smooth or dark was misleading and very incomplete, lazy info). Learn from my mistakes and all the time and money I had to use to figure this out lol. There are of course other amps out there that I like as much or more, but are a lot more expensive and rare unfortunately

Don't do this to me...
Sam and Tom did it to me, now I’m doing it to you. :D
908EDF1E-EA21-4263-AFA8-FA13DA20B969.jpeg

Back