Best High Gain Amp to Complement the Friedman BE100 Deluxe?

Thank you! Sounds like most people either love or hate the Diesel sound. Been itching to try one myself.
I thought the VH2 was an excellent sounding amp. I think most people don't hate deizels as much as the pricetag of them or the herbert since it is such a dark amp.

Others can chime in about the multiwatts, but from my experience the earlier 2-channel Rectos have less fizz than the 3-channel ones from the early 2000s. The all have a pretty full range sound, with an extended top end and bottom end response. That’s the Recto sound, and it gives them more sizzle/grind/fizz than many other amps.

In my ‘94 Rev G, I can dial most of that out by keeping the presence low (9:00) and treble reasonable (or on 0, which is an EQ “trick” for them). I like some of the sizzle, so I tend to not totally dial it out, meaning that I run my presence higher than that and treble at noon to 1:00. This all assumes Modern/Red mode. Vintage mode has no fizz on my amp.

From what I understand, the multiwatt should be pretty close to the 2-channel sound. From the clips that I’ve heard, they seem to have more clarity than the earlier examples, but a really similar vibe. You should get a good feel for the Recto line by trying a multiwatt. That’ll give you a sense for the mids and the feel. If I didn’t have an older one, that’s where I’d look because of the additional versatility of an extra channel.

Thank you for this. Exactly the insight I was hoping to get from someone who has been able to try out a lot more than I have.

Cheers,

If you want a different flavor the first thing that comes to mind mind would be one of the Boogie amps. The Recto’s or Mark’s will both be a nice contrast to the Friedman. I like my Badlander a lot for a modern amp

All the clips of the badlander seem like it dials out all the things I don't like about boogies.

I'm tempted to try one.

I’d say Mesa Mark series, it just gets you into a totally different area of tones and if you love all the tweaking options of the BE100DLX then you’ll feel right at home with a Mark. Both of them together essentially offer a wide library of amplifier tones.

I love a Rectifier too - I think they’re the kind of amp you’ll probably know immediately if you like or not. SLO could be a cool shout but they’re a kind of set and forget/no nonsense amp compared to something you can tweak a lot.

I’m just assuming you want high gain modern tones - something Vox based would be even more distinct to anything a Friedman can do. I’m loving some of the Morgan and Matchless stuff.

But yeah, I have a Mark III black dot and BE100 2016 and they go together really well. I love sitting in front of both and just dialling in different sounds

I’d say Mesa Mark series, it just gets you into a totally different area of tones and if you love all the tweaking options of the BE100DLX then you’ll feel right at home with a Mark. Both of them together essentially offer a wide library of amplifier tones.

I love a Rectifier too - I think they’re the kind of amp you’ll probably know immediately if you like or not. SLO could be a cool shout but they’re a kind of set and forget/no nonsense amp compared to something you can tweak a lot.

I’m just assuming you want high gain modern tones - something Vox based would be even more distinct to anything a Friedman can do. I’m loving some of the Morgan and Matchless stuff.

But yeah, I have a Mark III black dot and BE100 2016 and they go together really well. I love sitting in front of both and just dialling in different sounds

Thank you. I have to say everything I play generally is from the late 70's to late 90's (currently mid 80's thru 90's mainly). I don't play much in the 2000's so it is mainly just the higher gain stuff in that period.

Back