Best Modern Vox AC30 or AC30 Copy

That is / was a Concorde. Really fantastic amp, another shoulda kept it but I ended up getting a clone from Alan Meyer's that was cool, eventually sold that as well to continue chasing I don't know what :p Other than looking for something completely different in terms of sound I can safely say the Wizard MC25 ended my rock amp merry go-round 4 plus years ago. I do love the low powered Fender stuff and slight dirty edge of breakup sounds; to that end I recently picked up a Matchless Laurel Canyon which excels at that, but I gotta believe there's more affordable alternatives to that, like a good ol' used $800 Princeton Reverb. Like everything though, I'm pretty sure if I had both the Princeton and the Laurel Canyon in the same room the sonic differences would be obvious, the Laurel Canyon is pretty badass. Would it be 3x as good relative to price ???
That’s the problem we all run into. We think something is great until properly comparing it to a reference point. I try to only speak from experience of amps I’ve actually compared to other stuff I know. Like you said probably wouldn’t be 3x better, but audibly better and hard to really quantify how much better, but if you hear it you hear it and no going back lol

That’s the problem we all run into. We think something is great until properly comparing it to a reference point. I try to only speak from experience of amps I’ve actually compared to other stuff I know. Like you said probably wouldn’t be 3x better, but audibly better and hard to really quantify how much better, but if you hear it you hear it and no going back lol
Its funny how a little bit (well, a lot...) of experience in the ears and hands goes a long way :cool:

The Trainwreck Rocket was a stripped down Top Boost circuit. Ceriatone makes the Rock It!. They usually can be really bright with the Cut control full ccw (since they work in reverse) but you can make the blanket as thick as you want with that Cut control.

I really like having a bright switch tho. Like on my homebrew I built about 12-13 years ago. I still play this amp all the time, as much as any amp I own.

20210123-062638.jpg

The Trainwreck Rocket was a stripped down Top Boost circuit. Ceriatone makes the Rock It!. They usually can be really bright with the Cut control full ccw (since they work in reverse) but you can make the blanket as thick as you want with that Cut control.

I really like having a bright switch tho. Like on my homebrew I built about 12-13 years ago. I still play this amp all the time, as much as any amp I own.

20210123-062638.jpg

For many things, the simplest design is best.

Hey OP - sorry to derail your thread with a bunch of shit talking about D/13. Other than that there's some good info nuggets in here for you :rock:
No need to apologize, loving what’s being thrown around here. Really curious about the Komet Concorde now, and the Wizard MC25 has crossed my mind more than a few times over the last month so it’s interesting to see that being brought up here as well.

Get a Vox AC 50 from the 60`s you will have a vox, a hiwatt and marshall all in one amp
If he buys a VOX he'll have a VOX. If he's looking for that "blizzard of nails" sound and sag, he's not gonna get it from an AC50. If he's already playing through a Marshall Super Lead circuit, a EL34 powered VOX would (IMO) prove redundant. Unless he's planning on playing a huge theater, the AC30 is too much amp for most indoor venues. The AC15 is perfect for home and local gigging.

No need to apologize, loving what’s being thrown around here. Really curious about the Komet Concorde now, and the Wizard MC25 has crossed my mind more than a few times over the last month so it’s interesting to see that being brought up here as well.
Well, neither the Komet or the Wizard MC25 have anything to do with the Vox AC amps other than the Komet Concorde which is a few steps removed from an AC30 top boost / Trainwreck design via Ken Fischer....still that's a balls out non master volume EL34 powered rock amp. The Wizard isn't remotely close to any Vox, I just brought that up as an example of something that ended my search, that works perfect for me. Both the Komet and the Wizard are also significantly more expensive than the Vox AC's... No reason not to consider the Ceriatone Vox clones too, good bang for the buck depending what your end goal is.

Reality though is like all the rest of the "I want a Marshall, I want a Les Paul" type threads, if you want a Vox AC, get the Vox the first time around. I promise you'll save money in the long run vs chasing Vox sound alternatives and you'll know whether that amp works for you or not. The suggestion for a Vox AC15 is spot on, especially a 1x12 combo with a Celestion Blue in it.

Well, neither the Komet or the Wizard MC25 have anything to do with the Vox AC amps other than the Komet Concorde which is a few steps removed from an AC30 top boost / Trainwreck design via Ken Fischer....still that's a balls out non master volume EL34 powered rock amp. The Wizard isn't remotely close to any Vox, I just brought that up as an example of something that ended my search, that works perfect for me. Both the Komet and the Wizard are also significantly more expensive than the Vox AC's... No reason not to consider the Ceriatone Vox clones too, good bang for the buck depending what your end goal is.

Reality though is like all the rest of the "I want a Marshall, I want a Les Paul" type threads, if you want a Vox AC, get the Vox the first time around. I promise you'll save money in the long run vs chasing Vox sound alternatives and you'll know whether that amp works for you or not. The suggestion for a Vox AC15 is spot on, especially a 1x12 combo with a Celestion Blue in it.
All true but I was recommending the OP check out the EL84 model Komet. Haven’t tried it myself, but probably a great amp that may also be in the right ballpark for the OP

All true but I was recommending the OP check out the EL84 model Komet. Haven’t tried it myself, but probably a great amp that may also be in the right ballpark for the OP
Absolutely, agree 100%. There are a few EL84 Komets that kick ass - the K19, K29, Aero 33. I recently had a K29 here for a month or so and it was cool...it was also loud AF by the time it got doing its thing. There isn't anything subtle about Komets, but there's few if any other amps out there that sound like Komets. Just like the Wizard stuff, once you've heard it and been bitten there's no turning back :cool:

Appreciate all the good stuff here, I had tried a Matchless HC30 a couple weeks back and was really looking for comparable thing at a lower price point but after taking a hard look at myself I think the place where I could fill out my collection is in the gainier territory, which is why I mentioned the Wizard MC25 earlier.
Anyway, I stopped by my local shop Coast Sonic and they have a Diezel VH4 there that I got to play through a Magnatone 2x12 cab. Channel one was fine but channels 2-4 were amazing, I can’t get over the amount of low end you can dial in. I know this probably not where people saw this thread going and I’ll start a new one for this purpose, but just in case anyone has an opinion.

What other amps could I get into sub $2500 that will give me that Marshall plexi and beyond gain with low end response like the Diezel? ** big plus if it has a master volume which will make it usuable for home applications.**

Appreciate all the good stuff here, I had tried a Matchless HC30 a couple weeks back and was really looking for comparable thing at a lower price point but after taking a hard look at myself I think the place where I could fill out my collection is in the gainier territory, which is why I mentioned the Wizard MC25 earlier.
Anyway, I stopped by my local shop Coast Sonic and they have a Diezel VH4 there that I got to play through a Magnatone 2x12 cab. Channel one was fine but channels 2-4 were amazing, I can’t get over the amount of low end you can dial in. I know this probably not where people saw this thread going and I’ll start a new one for this purpose, but just in case anyone has an opinion.

What other amps could I get into sub $2500 that will give me that Marshall plexi and beyond gain with low end response like the Diezel? ** big plus if it has a master volume which will make it usuable for home applications.**
VH2 should be in the price range and should easily do the VH4 thing.

The PRS Archon gets compared to the VH4 a lot and has just monstrous low end but is mainly either clean or very high gain, no in between.

VH2 should be in the price range and should easily do the VH4 thing.

The PRS Archon gets compared to the VH4 a lot and has just monstrous low end but is mainly either clean or very high gain, no in between.
VH2 is the only thing I could think of under $2500, but haven’t tried one myself. You might also like an Engl Inferno. Not quite Diezel level of bottom end, but is quite thick and ballsy still with lots of growl

The Archon is imo nothing special of an amp

For just a bit more than $2500 you might be able to get a used Mezzabarba Mzero Overdrive. Very good amp. I owned one for a bit. Like a cross of a Marshall and SLO and sounds very big

The VH2 looks like a good option especially if there’s used examples out there. I’m seeing some Mezzabarba’s for sale locally. What’s the deal there?

The VH2 looks like a good option especially if there’s used examples out there. I’m seeing some Mezzabarba’s for sale locally. What’s the deal there?
Just really good sounding amps that I think could fit was you asked for and possibly be close to $2500 used

I eventually had to just accept that I love the sound of those amps when other people are playing them....they just don’t work with whatever particular brand of magic I posses 😂
With that sound & vibe, unique-type players pull through.
I just want to crunch the fuc*er and see if it holds together for the cuts.
Outta the whole Vox amp carnage, get a real one
just be careful with them treble boosters!

Back