What's the best "bang for your buck" Klon Centaur copy?

VH4_BigRig

Hey guys, been toying with the idea of buying a couple new pedals while stuck in self-quarantine. As the title suggests, what's the best Klon Centaur copy out there these days which is also reasonably priced? My buddy has a Soul Food pedal, but aside from that, I've never heard any other copies in person. I like it but haven't used it in my own setup, so I can't really say whether it does it for me or not.

There was some cool info in this thread below a couple of years ago, but there seem to be a lot of interesting pedals coming out these days (including micro pedals), so just wanted to see if there was anything that really stood out. I wouldn't mind getting something to try for sh*ts and giggles to see what all the fuss is about, but there is no way in hell I'm buying an original or paying out the @$$ for an OD. Sadly I don't build or know anyone that does, so the "DIY" route is out. Let me know what you guys think! Cheers,

BigRig

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=198929&hilit=best+klon+copy

Soul Food is the best bang for buck. What are they, $80?
Wampler Tumnus and Archer Ikon are pretty cool.
I think my fave of the ones I've tried is the Mythical Overdrive.
I think it sells for less than the Tumnus and Archer. Check Reverb.

Man, I love Klon type pedals. I had Soul Food then I got a Ryra Klone pedal and honestly it was a great pedal but it wasn't a $150 extra great. I am planning on another klon type so I'm leaning towards Tumnis mini. I think they go for like 100

I've had a few. I kept the KTR and the J. Rockett Audio Archer. Not sure if they're true to the original but they're the ones I liked.

I haven’t tried a bunch of copies, but one day I picked up a Mythos pedal Mjolnir and fell in love. I don’t think I even knew it was a Klon Centaur copy until later, just knew it sounded amazing and different than all my other pedals. It’s still my favorite about a year later.

candletears7":1t042zj0 said:
Ceriatone Centura.
There is nothing different from the original.
There are several that make this claim. Having not tried them all side-by-side-by-side including a real one I don't know. I like my RYRA Klone (who also made the same claim many years ago when I got mine) but again, haven't compared extensively. The RYRA's look a little different now, when I got mine there were no markings on it at all.

This is from the RYRA site:
The Rock Your Repaired Amp Klone is an exact, part for part, meticulously crafted replica of the infamous "transparent" overdrive pedal. It is painstakingly crafted using the absolute best components with a deep devotion to perfection. This recreation of the through-hole constructed overdrive pedal, now out of production, is known for its big, 3D, open sound that cuts right through the mix. This is a pedal for players who don’t typically like pedals. Exterior dimensions of 4.7" x 3.7" x 1.18"

Although I would argue the original pedal is way more famous than infamous. :confused:

I have a silver Archer. It has been a great addition to my board. The RYRA Klone is nice as well. Also keep in mind that the Klon KTR is not that much more expensive and is supposed to be the real deal.

I have the BYOC Silver Pony, at least the first ones had tweaks compared to the original circuit, which I have sense put it back to the original. the newer BYOC Silver Pony II doesn't have these tweaks, its faithful to the original.

I also have the Chellee Ponyboy V3 which I love. Not sure how close it is to an actual Klon, but it sounds great.

Mojotone Sacred Cow if you can find one. I think it sounds great and won't break the bank. Essentially they all sound good and when into an amp that's cooking, they are all a diff shade of awesome.

Kapo_Polenton":ynrb3sre said:
Mojotone Sacred Cow if you can find one. I think it sounds great and won't break the bank. Essentially they all sound good and when into an amp that's cooking, they are all a diff shade of awesome.
Came to reco this

SpiderWars":2qaapyqr said:
candletears7":2qaapyqr said:
Ceriatone Centura.
There is nothing different from the original.
There are several that make this claim. Having not tried them all side-by-side-by-side including a real one I don't know. I like my RYRA Klone (who also made the same claim many years ago when I got mine) but again, haven't compared extensively. The RYRA's look a little different now, when I got mine there were no markings on it at all.

This is from the RYRA site:
The Rock Your Repaired Amp Klone is an exact, part for part, meticulously crafted replica of the infamous "transparent" overdrive pedal. It is painstakingly crafted using the absolute best components with a deep devotion to perfection. This recreation of the through-hole constructed overdrive pedal, now out of production, is known for its big, 3D, open sound that cuts right through the mix. This is a pedal for players who don’t typically like pedals. Exterior dimensions of 4.7" x 3.7" x 1.18"

Although I would argue the original pedal is way more famous than infamous. :confused:
For 1:1 KLON sound, refit the Ceritatone Centura with ECG109 diodes. The ECG109 is the OEM replacement for the discontinued 1N34A diodes that were used in the large body KLON. The "1N34A" diodes that are being sold today (per my testing results) are not true 1N34A diodes. I've sourced these from several sellers, and none of them tested to proper 1N34A specs. Not that stock Ceriatone diodes suck... They actually sound quite good, and usable at higher gain settings. I would say the stock Ceritatone diodes lean more toward distortion vs KLON's transparent overdrive character.

Note: Don't remove the stock diode leads... clip the leads at the body, straighten the leads off the board, and solder the ECG109 to them.

4Jf5OCr.jpg

I've been interested in trying a Klon Clone for quite a while. I was specifically looking for a VFE Merman Klon clone. I recently picked one up from Psychodave and I have been A/B'ing it to my trusty Maxon OD808 the last couple of days.

After diaing it in...so far I feel it has more clarity, more transparent and almost has a 3D quality to it compared to my OD808, and I love my OD808 and SRB808 SD-1 pedal. I'm liking it so far.

Back