Best playing/sounding acoustic for under $800?

BURNTHISCORPSE

Dont care if it has a cut away, jumbo, dreadnaught, whatever....
I need something that plays like butter without requiring a ton of work to do so. Sounding good acoustically is obviously required. Dont care if its an electric acoustic...i'll put in a pickup if need be.
New or used for $800 or less what would be the best in your opinions?

I plan on getting a Gibson. older J200 or other model when I can scratch together the $$. But I need something to hold me over for now.

Alvarez is the best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned. Great playability and tone. I have an AD90SCK and it smokes! Paid $800 shipped, with case new. It rivals guitars 3 times the price. Check some out, you shouldn't be disappointed with any of them in the $500-800 range.

I would say mine is very similar to the sound and feel of Gibson's Songwriter Deluxe.

Used Taylor DN3. Great, easy playing guitar that sounds amazing. I recently played a bunch of guitars in the price range and this was the one I liked best.

Seagull, great playability & tone. Sometimes I forget I'm playing an acoustic. Check out the reviews! :thumbsup:

rcm78":3v50z6sw said:
Japan made Takamines are the best bang for your buck acoustic available!!! They sound great through a PA too. Much better then the Taylor Expression system IMO...

I'll give this a +1. I've enjoyed most takamines I've ever played, and owned a G series for a while ( i want to say g530? It was several years ago though).

that travel Taylor one is pretty freaking nice too, but not very loud.

I've got an alvarez I bought for my kid and it's a great sounding guitar.

I highly recommend playing a bunch of different ones...even if it's the same model. Guitars in the below-$800 range fall into different levels of build quality and sound quality...even if it's the same exact model from the same exact company.

I've been looking for a while now and still haven't picked-up an acoustic. Mostly because I'm waffling between spending the big bucks for what I really want (J200, Dove, Songwriter, F-50, etc.) or just grabbing a mid-priced instrument. Consequently, I've played a number of different guitars while searching. As mentioned, the Epiphone Masterbuilt's are surprisingly good - some are actually great. Another one that surprised me was the Guild GAD-50. It's $999.00 list, but would be close to your price range with a discount. The GAD-40 is $100 less and played just as nicely...

I have a Seagull that's been through hell and is holding up really good even with a cedar top. Seagulls use solid woods and that used to be unheard of in guitars in the lower price ranges. With the cedar top sometimes it can sound a bit compressed but otherwise I like it. Plays really nice.

If you can swing it, try any Taylor that would fit in that price range. Great playing and soundiung guitars. Doubt you would have any issues in the future with a Taylor, but if you do they stand behind their product. Can't say that for some of the other big names in acoustics.

Back