Blackback Advice

Wow, I’m surprised, most guys find those BB 75hz brighter than the pulsonics, at least that’s what I’ve been hearing…

Yeah, not the ones that I have. My setup is through a DeLisle amp switcher and I can flip back and forth between the BB loaded Marshall cab (slant) and a GB loaded Splawn cab (non slant) with the same amp at will, and the GB cab sounds way more "alive" then the BB cab does. That BB cab just sounds "meh" to me. It's not that it sounds bad, mind you.. I just prefer the GB cab to it.

Wow, I’m surprised, most guys find those BB 75hz brighter than the pulsonics, at least that’s what I’ve been hearing…
My Blackbacks are definitely a little more sizzle/sparkly than my Creambacks or Greenbacks and also a tiny bit fuller bass. And a tiny bit less "Greenback crunch" to the mids. All 70s G12M 75hz.

I have 3 of each so I use the BBs to fill the empty spots for one full stack.. They might add a tiny bit at the very top and very bottom but I probably couldn't tell.

I have a ‘71 cabinet with Pulsonic greenbacks and I do like it, but The one thing I don’t like is how green backs are not tight in the bass.
‘For me’, there is something about the 55Hz / 444 cones in these G12M black backs that just fills out the tone with better bass while also tightening the bottom end clarity.
It would be so much easier if we were all in a room with these cabinets, It would be like, “Yep that one’s good, not that one, it sucks, I like this one, that’s good with this amp, not with that one”… 😂👍
Yeah tightness is not the Pre-Rola GB M25’s forte

I try to do what you’re describing with my speakers. AB’ing them both in my cabs and also in isolation (not in cab) to really hear what the speaker itself does tonally. Really exposes a lot about the speakers sound. If I get BB’s they’ll be up against some very steep competition, but that’ll make it all that much more interesting for me if I keep them after

Found this on Metro forum,
The first is the 6402 cone GB then After the DLR scream the 75hz blackback…

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=10621467

That is exactly what I'm experiencing with mine. My GB's aren't the 90's reissues, but the overall "tone" comparison between my GB's and BB's is very similar as the audio clip. The GB's I have seem more present and "alive", where the BB's are more dark and "muffled" sounding.

That is exactly what I'm experiencing with mine. My GB's aren't the 90's reissues, but the overall "tone" comparison between my GB's and BB's is very similar as the audio clip. The GB's I have seem more present and "alive", where the BB's are more dark and "muffled" sounding.
Yes I agree, this what I was hearing in other comparison clips as well. The BB’s sound dull to me in comparison, not as aggressive, but again we don’t know what volumes they were playing at in the clips, if it was enough to give the BB’s what they needed. Fwiw, my GB’s are pre-rola 20M’s, 25H’s, 25M’s and heritage 20’s (Reissue). I’ve had other version GB’s before, but that’s what I’ve kept. Probably should list my heritages soon now that I think about it

This is so strange, my 55Hz 12M black back speakers are quite a bit more aggressive than both the Pulsonic and the 6402 cones…🤔
Maybe there is a huge difference between the 1777 cone and the 444/55 Hz cone? Weird…

This is so strange, my 55Hz 12M black back speakers are quite a bit more aggressive than both the Pulsonic and the 6402 cones…🤔
Maybe there is a huge difference between the 1777 cone and the 444/55 Hz cone? Weird…
That’s partly why I was wondering if the clips posted didn’t have guys using their amps loud enough since everyone seems to say BB’s need volume to shine. I’ve had some other Celestions with 1777 labeled cones. They didn’t do that much for me. Haven’t tried 444’s. I think most probably consider pulsonics not as aggressive because of the 25M’s or 30H’s, which make up the majority of pulsonic speakers, but completely different story with the early white voicecoil ones (vs the later brown ones)

I picked up four Blackbacks with 1777 labeled cones a couple of months ago. As already stated, they do need some volume to sound their best. I love my UK RI Greenbacks, but if I'm playing loud (and I usually am), I prefer the Blackbacks. To my ears, they seem to give a sharper, more aggressive response than my Greenbacks.

Back