Bogner Uber Ultra

Mine lives on hair +. Definitely the favorite of those options.

Same here. I generally prefer a more scooped tone, and to me it sounds like the closest voicing to the earlier Uberschalls. They should've switched the Ü and the Hair+ labels.

Same here. I generally prefer a more scooped tone, and to me it sounds like the closest voicing to the earlier Uberschalls. They should've switched the Ü and the Hair+ labels.
They should've just got rid of the other 2 options. Hair+ is the best and the other 2 are just weird, IMO.

Yeah the Ultra mode is interesting. I think the more you turn up the gain, the less apparent that low end filtering becomes because everything just kind of gets overwhelmed, but the channel is kind of built around that kind of sound, so doing that can work.

Personally when I use the Ultra channel, I usually crank down the Metamorph control pretty hard to get the clankiest, most metallic Meshuggah-like tone I can. For anything less aggressive than that, I'll typically stick with the other modes.
Yeah I'd say for that type of tone I keep the Metamorph around 12-1 o'clock and Gain around 11-12. Fat mode and Focused with the Boost on. Amp just kills for that type of stuff.

THIS! I feel like Reinhold got this all backwards. Not sure if done on purpose either lol The ü setting sounds NOTHING like any of the previous Uberschalls.

This is interesting. Lots of tones in the UU. I was mostly using the Hair setting on mine because I felt it was in the middle of the range. What I mean by that is that the U setting is very mid heavy , the Hair + seemed scooped and the Hair setting kinda in the middle.

I experimented more today after reading this thread and yeah the Hair + does sound very good. I like both the Hair and Hair + settings you just have to dial the amp in differently with either one. The U setting could have a purpose depending on the cab or guitar. It's probably the least used setting for most people though, tons of upper midrange.

So the Density setting I find interesting too. Judging from clips I see most people dial the amp in with the density around 3oclock. I seem to like mine set the opposite, around 9 O'clock. The amps sounds very open that way. I tried it more in the 3 O'clock range today and there is a slight volume drop that can be compensated by just turning up the master. The amp sounds a little darker this way but still very good.

And finally I also tried running the volumes diferently. It seems that with the channel volume set high around noon I like it a little better than having it set lower with the master turned up if that makes sense. There might only be a perceived difference and nothing really happening , Im not sure yet. You basically have a choice to either run channel volumes higher than the master or vice versa. Ive found some amps sound best with channel volume set high, not sure if thats the case here.

Would be cool to hear how you guys like those controls like the density and volumes set, there is also the loop volume on the back of the amp that I have set to noon now. There are alot of ways to dial this amp in which makes it the gift that keeps on giving lol.

THIS! I feel like Reinhold got this all backwards. Not sure if done on purpose either lol The ü setting sounds NOTHING like any of the previous Uberschalls.
Agreed 100%. I wonder if they messed up the faceplate. In any case, I almost never use anything other than Hair +. Too midrangey for me.

Agreed 100%. I wonder if they messed up the faceplate. In any case, I almost never use anything other than Hair +. Too midrangey for me.
Ü is pretty much unusable IMO. I’ve set the amp tone stack as dark as possible and it still has too much and anything remotely “useable” in that setting is muffled and boxy. It’s almost useless I would say. I would certainly welcome anyone to prove me wrong on that.

I don't have $3K laying around right now for one of these but you guys are giving me serious GAS.

I'm curious, what happens if you do the Treble on '0' thing? Does it open up more or does it literally just turn the treble all the way down? I know on some Marshalls, my Splawn and even some Rectos this works really well. Never played a Bogner sadly :(

I can’t get past that built in boost stuck on a particular vowel sound that doesn’t change to input dynamics aspect I’m hearing here. I just didn’t want to say ‘cocked wah.”

Yeah the Ultra mode is interesting. I think the more you turn up the gain, the less apparent that low end filtering becomes because everything just kind of gets overwhelmed, but the channel is kind of built around that kind of sound, so doing that can work.

Personally when I use the Ultra channel, I usually crank down the Metamorph control pretty hard to get the clankiest, most metallic Meshuggah-like tone I can. For anything less aggressive than that, I'll typically stick with the other modes.

So to continue this conversation about the Ultra mode having a bit of a cocked wah sound at low gain levels, here's couple clips I did a while back when I was seeing if that sound could be dialed out. These clips compare the Ultra mode at a lower gain and Boost Off setting to a slightly higher gain and Boost On setting.

To my ear, the cocked wah thing is fairly apparent at low gain settings like in the first clip, but the amp smooths out and the cocked wah tone seems to go away when you add enough gain like the second clip shows. This makes me think the Ultra mode was basically built specifically and only for super high gain tones. I mean, aside from the mode's name, lol. To me the Ultra mode sounds kind of weird when you try and dial in anything besides the most aggressive sounds possible.

Last edited:
So to continue this conversation about the Ultra mode having a bit of a cocked wah sound at low gain levels, here's couple clips I did a while back when I was seeing if that sound could be dialed out. These clips compare the Ultra mode at a lower gain and Boost Off setting to a slightly higher gain and Boost On setting.

To my ear, the cocked wah thing is fairly apparent at low gain settings like in the first clip, but the amp smooths out and the cocked wah tone seems to go away when you add enough gain like the second clip shows. This makes me think the Ultra mode was basically built specifically and only for super high gain tones. I mean, aside from the mode's name, lol. To me the Ultra mode sounds kind of weird when you try and dial in anything besides the most aggressive sounds possible.

Isn't that cocked wah thing what many refer to, and hold in such high regard, as Marshall Kerang?

Isn't that cocked wah thing what many refer to, and hold in such high regard, as Marshall Kerang?

Not to me. I think of a cocked wah sound as more like an obnoxious bandpass EQ filter where you get a weird sort of notch somewhere in the low mids with an extremely narrow Q, and it's more often than not really cheesy sounding.

I've always thought of Kerang as something else. It's really hard to articulate but to me that word describes something about the metallic clang or clank of the strings and speaker, like there's something about the sound where you can hear the metal in the components. Not "metal" as in the genre, but metal as in it sounds like a background metallic kind of ringing or resonance.

Last edited:
Not to me. I think of a cocked wah sound as more like an obnoxious bandpass EQ filter where you get a weird sort of notch somewhere in the low mids with an extremely narrow Q, and it's more often than not really cheesy sounding.

I've always thought of Kerang as something else. It's really hard to articulate but to me that word describes something about the metallic clank of the strings and speaker, like there's something about the sound where you can hear the metal in the components. Not "metal" as in the genre, but metal as in it sounds like a background metallic kind of ringing or resonance, again, like a clang or clank in the sound.
What I just heard in your clip I would describe as that kerang, a certain vocal like quality to the tone, especially on power chords. But I'd also maybe use cocked wah as a term to describe it too.

Tototally get the metallic clank thing you describe. I just call that clank, or attack, which for me is completely different from the term kerang or cocked wah.

Yeah we all hear/describe things different!

What I just heard in your clip I would describe as that kerang, a certain vocal like quality to the tone, especially on power chords. But I'd also maybe use cocked wah as a term to describe it too.

Tototally get the metallic clank thing you describe. I just call that clank, or attack, which for me is completely different from the term kerang or cocked wah.

Yeah we all hear/describe things different!

I think I see what you mean. I also think there are different kinds of "vocal qualities" though. One is a frequency resonance that comes about from filtering after the guitar where you hear a pronounced and sustained, overwhelming "aaah" resonance that doesn't change (cocked wah locked in place) which I see as undesirable, but there's another thing that could be described as "vocal" that might be the way the strings are attacked over time to give the guitar a kind of expressive quality that isn't necessarily a locked-in-place cocked wah thing, but yeah, more like an expression thing controlled by pick attack where the "vocalization" effect moves around.

I think I see what you mean. I also think there are different kinds of "vocal qualities" though. One is a frequency resonance that comes about from filtering after the guitar where you hear a pronounced and sustained, overwhelming "aaah" resonance that doesn't change (cocked wah), but another thing that could be described as "vocal" might be the way the strings are attacked over time to give the guitar a kind of expressive quality that isn't necessarily a cocked wah thing, but yeah, more like an expression thing controlled by pick attack.
Exactly..."the way the strings are attacked over time to give the guitar a kind of expressive quality". I for sure get that and with all the amps I have, that is what needs to happen in order to get there...heavy right hand, to produce that effect. Some more than others.

But, some amps seem to inherently possess more of that vocal/vowel/cocked wah/kerang thing in the voicing, to me anyway, and the heavy picking attack just takes it to the next level. Some amps sound much flatter, more neutral regardless of how hard you pick. I guess yet another term that I relate to that kerang/cocked wah adjectives in a sense is growl...like when you smash a power chord. But it also seems to be a combo of the two things mentioned above...the way the strings are attacked and the inherent voicing of an amp. Two examples using Wizards in my experience: MCII has kerang/growl/vowel like tonal quality, especially when you really hit hard with the picking hand. The MTL I owned did not and came across very neutral in that respect regardless of how how hard I picked, and thus bland for my taste.

Exactly..."the way the strings are attacked over time to give the guitar a kind of expressive quality". I for sure get that and with all the amps I have, that is what needs to happen in order to get there...heavy right hand, to produce that effect. Some more than others.

But, some amps seem to inherently possess more of that vocal/vowel/cocked wah/kerang thing in the voicing, to me anyway, and the heavy picking attack just takes it to the next level. Some amps sound much flatter, more neutral regardless of how hard you pick. I guess yet another term that I relate to that kerang/cocked wah adjectives in a sense is growl...like when you smash a power chord. But it also seems to be a combo of the two things mentioned above...the way the strings are attacked and the inherent voicing of an amp. Two examples using Wizards in my experience: MCII has kerang/growl/vowel like tonal quality, especially when you really hit hard with the picking hand. The MTL I owned did not and came across very neutral in that respect regardless of how how hard I picked, and thus bland for my taste.

Ok yeah we're definitely on the same page here for sure. I agree with all that.

I don't have $3K laying around right now for one of these but you guys are giving me serious GAS.

I'm curious, what happens if you do the Treble on '0' thing? Does it open up more or does it literally just turn the treble all the way down? I know on some Marshalls, my Splawn and even some Rectos this works really well. Never played a Bogner sadly :(
Pretty traditional, it just gets super dull.

Cocked wah is a lower mid voice; closer to a Mesa non GEQ than screaming upper mids from a Marshall, at high volume...which is what I feel Kerrang is.
I used to play with a Wah pedal at gigs, back in the 90s when we did some older 70s classic...that midrange, full time would be rather annoying.

Back