bogner uber ultra

fuzzyguitars

some one talk to me about this amp.

why havent i heard of this thing. i had an uber blue a few years back.

this new version has a whole slew of features to mold the gain.

talk to me my brothers.

el34

6l6

kt88

who still has it.

who have moved them on and why.

leaning towards kt88. just becuase.

thanks

i appreciate all the experience of my high gain brothers.

I liked some things about it, but didn’t keep it. On the positive, it had the overall Uber flavor I’ve grown to love with a much more cutting and tighter sound if desired (without getting harsh) since it can be shaped to do quite a bit. It was also similarly big and powerful to my original version Uber when AB’ed, which surprised me. It also had a very solid clean and crunch, but didn’t really do any sound imo better than 7/10

For me it wasn’t ultimately as inspiring to play though because (regardless of settings) the inherent tone was very filtered, clinical and cardboardy like many very recent amps like the omegas and KSR’s. No warmth or richness to the core sound like Bogner’s typically have and also lost that signature Bogner chewy quality that makes Bogner to me unique. It also lost the great feel of the 1st 2 version Uber’s and felt comparatively disconnected to play

The 2nd channel (especially the Ultra mode) had a weird cocked wah midrange quality. It could be subdued a lot, but never fully dialed out if you really listen for it, just masked. Overall, though I think a cool amp despite not being a keeper for my needs

Last edited:
I bought one at release but did not like it. Wild amp with an unbelievable amount of gain. Very, very modern sounding and clearly intended for down-tuned and extended range instruments. Almost sounds "filtered," kind of like it has a Fortin 33 permanently put in front of it. The clean channel was surprisingly excellent. The crunch mode was ok but I prefer other amps for that sound. The high gain stuff was pretty cool but very different from other Bogners I've owned (Helios, Telos, XTC Pandora, 20th XTC EL34). IMO, the amp is voiced pretty harsh and has some unpleasant midrange frequencies. For me, it was one of those amps that I never fell in love with, so it was an easy decision to move it on.

Own the EL34 version. My favorite production amp on the market. For playing the brutz it does it better than anything readily available out there IMO. Had my rev blue at the same time and sold it off because the Uber ultra gets 98 percent there and has way more options.

I bought one at release but did not like it. Wild amp with an unbelievable amount of gain. Very, very modern sounding and clearly intended for down-tuned and extended range instruments. Almost sounds "filtered," kind of like it has a Fortin 33 permanently put in front of it. The clean channel was surprisingly excellent. The crunch mode was ok but I prefer other amps for that sound. The high gain stuff was pretty cool but very different from other Bogners I've owned (Helios, Telos, XTC Pandora, 20th XTC EL34). IMO, the amp is voiced pretty harsh and has some unpleasant midrange frequencies. For me, it was one of those amps that I never fell in love with, so it was an easy decision to move it on.
Agreed, it’s like they went 11/10 modern lol along the lines of omega and KSR type amps. I would consider it very filtered sounding (like they filtered out/had a ban on any richness or warmth in sound lol), very clinical. I think that effect of no warmth makes it go from woody to cardboardy in timbre. The clean and crunch I also thought were quite good and balanced, but there was just no beauty to the sound from the lack of warmth. It was I felt a big departure from the typical fat chewy Bogner sound with greasy feel

I have the 6L6 Version. My favorite high gain amp ever. Huge sound on tap. Amazing lead tones in uber and doom setting. Harmonics jump off the fretboard at will as does controlled feedback and infinite sustain.Sent my SLO packing and several other fine amps.Not at all just a metal amp.

I have a Rev 2, Blue and the Ultra. The Ultra is easily the best of the bunch for sheer versatility. Tone wise, that is obviously subjective but to me, the Ultra accomplishes a lot and there is something for everyone with that amp, including coping the other 2 version's tones to the point it's so close, only us uber tone snob assholes (pun intended) would notice the minute differences in the room or recording. I love @braintheory description of the "greasy" feel the OG/Rev 2 have. That's about the only thing missing IMO with the Ultra. It gets about 1/2 way there and I can agree that's one aspect I miss when playing it instead of the rev 2. That's a big part of the fun of that amp. However, I still enjoy playing the Ultra more because there are so many different tones you can dial in which is inspiring to me and makes up for the lack of that greasy element.

I feel like the brutality aspect of the amp has been covered enough already so I won't go into that. You won't be disappointed in the slightest especially if you're coming off of a Rev Blue, which I still like btw.

ugh.

one of the things i lve about bogner is the greasy feel when playing. makes me worried when some say that loses the feel.

I have a Rev 2, Blue and the Ultra. The Ultra is easily the best of the bunch for sheer versatility. Tone wise, that is obviously subjective but to me, the Ultra accomplishes a lot and there is something for everyone with that amp, including coping the other 2 version's tones to the point it's so close, only us uber tone snob assholes (pun intended) would notice the minute differences in the room or recording. I love @braintheory description of the "greasy" feel the OG/Rev 2 have. That's about the only thing missing IMO with the Ultra. It gets about 1/2 way there and I can agree that's one aspect I miss when playing it instead of the rev 2. That's a big part of the fun of that amp. However, I still enjoy playing the Ultra more because there are so many different tones you can dial in which is inspiring to me and makes up for the lack of that greasy element.

I feel like the brutality aspect of the amp has been covered enough already so I won't go into that. You won't be disappointed in the slightest especially if you're coming off of a Rev Blue, which I still like btw.
Can’t argue on the versatility aspect, but the difference in warmth/richness and that chewy quality as well as the feel vs the OG was night and day to me and even a friend of mine that’s not a serious guitar guy. I haven’t played a Rev 2 or Blue in years now, so not sure about that. I didn’t like the blue much though. The twin jet is my least favorite Uber

In terms of having the overall Uber flavor, horsepower and bigness I did think it was very successful, but for me just missed the mark in tone quality and feel, but we all hear differently I guess. For me it was a classic “from concentrate” vs “fresh squeezed” scenario, same flavor, not the same quality. The original and Rev 2 (from what I recall) don’t have that filtered quality I’ve come to not enjoy

I think where my opinions can differ from some others is that I enjoy almost any flavor (Marshall, Mesa, Bogner, Diezel, Soldano, etc), but it needs to be a version of that flavor with sufficient complexity/richness in tone, makes it seem more alive. Otherwise it’s just bland/uninteresting to me. Many of these current high gain amps sound like these qualities I like were sucked or filtered out and what’s remaining just doesn’t do much for me at that point. It’s boring

Last edited:
ugh.

one of the things i lve about bogner is the greasy feel when playing. makes me worried when some say that loses the feel.
To me it didn’t have an ounce of that, but it did have the overall Uber flavor and growl. The greasy part is one of my favorite aspects. I feel it’s better than even the CCV’s I’ve had and tried as well as the Cameron mods in the grease department. It’s like it adds talent to one’s playing lol. The ultra won’t do that, but it depends what flavor/qualities you’re looking for

You can use the Metamorph knob dialed back to bring in some of that grease as well as doom mode.
Yeah I’ve experimented with that. I’ve had the amp since July and am very familiar with the capabilities. It doesn’t nail it but it gets you ballpark I would agree on. The doom mode can really nail those soggy Rev blue tones in spades.

I feel it’s better than even the CCV’s I’ve had and tried as well as the Cameron mods in the grease department. It’s like it adds talent to one’s playing lol.
That’s an interesting take. Never heard that comparison before. Speaks volumes coming from you IMO because I know you have/had an amazing collection to reference that.

Yeah I’ve experimented with that. I’ve had the amp since July and am very familiar with the capabilities. It doesn’t nail it but it gets you ballpark I would agree on. The doom mode can really nail those soggy Rev blue tones in spades.

That’s an interesting take. Never heard that comparison before. Speaks volumes coming from you IMO because I know you have/had an amazing collection to reference that.
Yeah the ccv was one of the easiest playing amps I’ve had (no longer have it), but for me at least I felt my Uber went even further in that direction when compared. The ccv of course could get a lot tighter and do other things my Uber couldn’t, but for that I liked my Hermansson’s more, which are also for me my favorite feeling amps. The one legendary amp I still have to try is a real Trainwreck. Just too rare. I agree the ultra can get in the ballpark of lots of different sounds. It took me a while to find the settings I like on my Uber, but once I did I listed quite a few amps and biasing it colder also helped

To me it didn’t have an ounce of that, but it did have the overall Uber flavor and growl. The greasy part is one of my favorite aspects. I feel it’s better than even the CCV’s I’ve had and tried as well as the Cameron mods in the grease department. It’s like it adds talent to one’s playing lol. The ultra won’t do that, but it depends what flavor/qualities you’re looking for
So true

Back