BOGNER XTC Red Channel Pre/Post 2004 Gain Mod w/pics

Erock":fu604p6e said:
Hi Mike, great work!

I'm interested in trying this mod, except I would like to try switching between the stock post 2004 gain mod and the "Uberlike" mod (.68uF/10k) that BrentSP did. I'm familiar with the red update .22uF/2.7k that piggybacks R12, but where does the 1M come into play to prevent popping?

Also, I assume I could use a spare holes on the back, like one of the missing optional line out controls or missing A/AB option if it's ok to have a longer length of wire? Is there a particular wire that should be used, like is that shielded? Thanks a bunch Mike!

You add the 1M in series with the mod to ground and then wire the switch across the 1M. So from the cathode side connects the .22uf in series with the 2.7K then in series with the 1M resistor to ground.

Yes, you could easily use the extra holes on the back as well. Yes, I used a shielded cable on the mod.

One step further could be to use an ON/OFF/ON 3 position mini toggle switch and wire in both mods, Uberlike .68uf/10k for one side, center position pre 2004, other side the post 2004 mod of .22uf/2.7K :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

Fretburner":30lomk6r said:
Mike, Looks like an easy mod to do. Is it possible to get a cleaner shot to see exactly where the wires go?

Thanks!

Hey Fretburner,

Sorry, that was an iphone for the pictures. It's easy, just locate silk screen location R12, it is 10k resistor. That's where the mod goes, piggy backed over that resistor.

Cheers,
Mike

Mark Cameron":2csbijej said:
FortinAmps":2csbijej said:
Erock":2csbijej said:
Hi Mike, great work!

I'm interested in trying this mod, except I would like to try switching between the stock post 2004 gain mod and the "Uberlike" mod (.68uF/10k) that BrentSP did. I'm familiar with the red update .22uF/2.7k that piggybacks R12, but where does the 1M come into play to prevent popping?

Also, I assume I could use a spare holes on the back, like one of the missing optional line out controls or missing A/AB option if it's ok to have a longer length of wire? Is there a particular wire that should be used, like is that shielded? Thanks a bunch Mike!

You add the 1M in series with the mod to ground and then wire the switch across the 1M. So from the cathode side connects the .22uf in series with the 2.7K then in series with the 1M resistor to ground.

Yes, you could easily use the extra holes on the back as well. Yes, I used a shielded cable on the mod.

One step further could be to use an ON/OFF/ON 3 position mini toggle switch and wire in both mods, Uberlike .68uf/10k for one side, center position pre 2004, other side the post 2004 mod of .22uf/2.7K :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

the .22 will be more Uber like..more so if you go lower then 2.7k.....for more Uber style....change the 470pf in the feedback to .0047.

The 10k/.68 is more Marshall like.

When I came up with the mod at Bogner...I liked 10k/1uf best....for me.

Mike your amps sound great. :rock: The cilps Ralph made kick ass :rock:

Holy shit this is so awesome to be on a board that has all these great amp builders that actually talk and help out!! :D

Mark Cameron":1ucs3jzo said:
the .22 will be more Uber like..more so if you go lower then 2.7k.....for more Uber style....change the 470pf in the feedback to .0047.

excellent, thanks for the info Mark! Also thanks to you too Mike!

Would you have a suggestion for where to start with a resistor value lower than 2.7k? Like just a 2k or 1.8k, or more of a difference?

jasonP":1ucs3jzo said:
Holy shit this is so awesome to be on a board that has all these great amp builders that actually talk and help out!! :D

big +1 :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike! :thumbsup:

FortinAmps":v93g8vet said:
Fretburner":v93g8vet said:
Mike, Looks like an easy mod to do. Is it possible to get a cleaner shot to see exactly where the wires go?

Thanks!

Hey Fretburner,

Sorry, that was an iphone for the pictures. It's easy, just locate silk screen location R12, it is 10k resistor. That's where the mod goes, piggy backed over that resistor.

Cheers,
Mike

Mark Cameron":1m4ld255 said:

Hey Mark,

Thank you very much for the extra cool mod info :thumbsup:

I appreciate the kind words and I feel the same way about your amps :rock:

Ralph is a great player and turns out we know a lot of the same people.
I lived in NY for 6 years, in the next town from him and we never crossed paths :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers,
Mike

try this..

Attachments

• DoesItWorkFlowDiagram.jpg
    DoesItWorkFlowDiagram.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,341
Erock":2jxoo9v5 said:
Mark Cameron":2jxoo9v5 said:

excellent, thanks for the info Mark! Also thanks to you too Mike!

Would you have a suggestion for where to start with a resistor value lower than 2.7k? Like just a 2k or 1.8k, or more of a difference?

jasonP":2jxoo9v5 said:

big +1 :thumbsup:

Eric,
Did you get my emails last night?
If not, let me know and I'll resend them. Sometimes emails get lost in my router :confused:
Cheers,
Mike

Bumping this thread from the dead. There’s been lots of discussion to the different mods for 101B’s and there’s not much information on what to do which this thread hints at.

@Monkey Man can you move this to the Bogner section?

@Mailman1971 Move this please

Last edited:
Back