Boosts .... Overdrives ..... Distortions .... What next ???

Hmmmmm..,
-you & I should combo up for a session of full-on
brainstewing.
3-5 minutes MAX and the boat leaves the dock.
-it didn’t have to stop..it just kept on goin’..
I toy around with machines and their components.
My mission is to constantly push what’s wrong
while never barrowing from what’s right.
-dial down the hot mess.

A new hearing experience of tight & juicy.
Find the dimension in the feel.
But start with the superunknown (SERIOUSLY)
Drain all the super outta’ the superunknown
until it’s ‘known’ right under your finger tips.
If we can think it, we’ve already created the process…
-so let’s find it!!💯
lemme know how that works out.

difference between the fortin Grind and the 33 is like that .... two different pedals .... one resistor value change .... so I built one and put the change on a switch .... and called it the grind/33 ... lol
It's funny because on the Wylde/GT-OD, it does change the voicing ot fhe pedal significantly.

Not night and day, but it goes from a straigh-up SD-1 clone to a sort of in-between TS808/SD-1 hybrid. At least sonically.

Don't know where that resistor is placed in the circuit, but all of a sudden, even if the gain levels don't change, the pedal feers more open and less compressed too.

Sold all my petals a year and a half ago. I’m just going direct now with headphones using my Boss unit I add a multitude of different overdrives. Love it.

M.I. Audio seems to be bust these days as far as pedals go. They made quite a few decent pedals that would be nice to be around in another form.

So where does the lower output come from the SD-1? And the more extreme low-end rolloff?

I agree with the SD-1 having more gain. But set to 0, it also has less. Any idea where that comes from?

The TS-9 has a set resistor in the feedback loop so it has a minimum gain of ~11, whereas the SD-1 doesn't have that set value so can go down to ~1 for gain.

The two pedals have different input filters and different tone controls. They're very similar, but those values make a difference.

Just realized there were four more pages after I posed that! (Just got back after a week out of town and a bit jet lagged!)

I've always thought it'd be fun to build an SD-1 (or TS-9) into a case with a clean boost circuit that can have gain of less than 1. Then you could set one side up for boost and the other for a buffered lower gain (like a set roll off on the guitar volume) to go from pushed input to backed off input to a crunchy amp.

I've been contemplating this since the 90s, but never got around to building one because I'm lazy.

M.I. Audio seems to be bust these days as far as pedals go. They made quite a few decent pedals that would be nice to be around in another form.
which ones are you talking about ....... the place where I get my boards has quite a few .

Looking for another boost / over drive for my Marshall 2204 ....
and to probably do another short run of pedals ....
I tend to like building stuff that is rare .... priced way to high ...... or discontinued favorites .
suggestions ??
currently thinking of these ....

Vemuram TSV808
Fulltone OCD
Digitech Bad Monkey

I'm leaning more towards the TSV808 ..... I will put the clipping options , bass and saturation controls on the front of the pedal .

I've never tried an OCD ...

and I use to boost my crunch channel on my DSL way back ... with the monkey ... so I know how that will sound .

the only close second to my Chiron so far has been this EP Booster that I built with all the fixins ... super versatile ... sounds amazing

View attachment 211180
Try a Beetronics Overhive or Sweet Honey Overdrive.

Source Audio UltraWave.

My current fav, replaced my old (large) Multiwave Distortion.

Try a Beetronics Overhive or Sweet Honey Overdrive.
I've built a few of the Sweet Honey ....... cool circuit !
I friggin love Beetronics stuff ..... some really wild analog pedals over there .
I can get boards for the Whoctahell , Fat Bee and The Swarm ..... not the Overhive though .

which ones are you talking about ....... the place where I get my boards has quite a few .
Super Blues Pro, Crossover drive, crunchbox, neo or G.I fuzz…off the top of my head. I’ve had a Blues Pro (not the super) for 15 years and love it. Has a toggle to go from a TS type to a fuzz. I actually leave it in fuzz and use it as a boost (level 2pm, gain 10am) and it’s fat but tight. Really good into a medium gain Marshall setting.

Super Blues Pro, Crossover drive, crunchbox, neo or G.I fuzz…off the top of my head. I’ve had a Blues Pro (not the super) for 15 years and love it. Has a toggle to go from a TS type to a fuzz. I actually leave it in fuzz and use it as a boost (level 2pm, gain 10am) and it’s fat but tight. Really good into a medium gain Marshall setting.
currently I can get boards for these MI Audio circuits ....

Blue Boy Deluxe
GI Fuzz
Super Blues Pro
Tube Zone
Crunch Box
Super Crunch Box

Got mama bear covered with the PoT and the new Chiron is handling papa bear stuff.
The new 7 string is a bit muddy cause of the extended scale on all the strings.
Need an always on baby bear to remove some of the muck.

Had one lying around and figured it was worth a shot. Jebus! As magic as ever for that job.

20230603_112349.jpg

Back