Boss CE-1 vs CE-2 chorus sound

nigelpkay

I’m on a chorus kick lately and looking to either buy a vintage CE-2 or the new CE-2W (Waza). Mostly an 80’s metal guy so I’m leaning towards the original CE-2.

From all the YouTube vids I’ve seen, the CE-2W in CE-2 mode is more bright and clinical than the original and seems to be missing the mojo, but the CE-1 mode is pretty close to spot on. So for me just trying to figure out if I want the original authentic CE-2 sound or just get the Waza version for the close to authentic CE-1 mode and all the other modern pedal benefits.

Can someone give me examples of classic songs that use the CE-1 and CE-2? I understand the CE-1 might be a little more 70’s and the CE-2 more 80’s but would like to listen to some reference sounds from songs of those eras.

Last edited:
I used the original Boss CE-2 in the 80's and have recordings of just how awesome the CE-2 was. Since then, thru the years, I had a couple of Mint Cond, MIJ Boss CE-2's and both were awesome. I also had the CE-2 Waza and was underwhelmed. Never did a direct comparison w/ the CE-2, but my ears told me it wasn't as good.
I'd get an original.

Last edited:
I have owned a a CE-1 and CE-2 and current own a CE-2w. I haven't noticed and major changes in the sound. But did not have them side by side.

Every individual pedal sounds slightly different. The CE-2w was based on what Boss saw as prime examples of the vintage pedals. Taste is so subjective.

I guess the gist of my question is do I want the CE-2 sound or the CE-1 sound? Wondering if anyone has any classic song examples of what is a CE-1 and what is a CE-2.

i had both 1 and 2 at the same time and the ce-2 was more compatible across clean or dirty sounds and less noisy.
but the ce-1 is amazing and the best for throwing a deep mean vintage atmosphere on clean tones. stacking 1 and 2 was heading into tristereo sounds.
the waza didn’t hit me in the feels like the originals did.

Just an update that since I started the topic, I’ve obtained both the CE-2w Waza and a 1982 Japan CE-2.

I hear the same difference between them as I do any 80’s Boss pedal and the new ones. Maybe it’s the buffer, but the original CE-2 had more depth to it like the effect was more integrated and immersed into the guitar signal. More mids and it sounded more gelled together and musical for lack of a better term. However it also seemed like a loss of high end and tone suck kind of like what the Boss NS-2 does.

The Waza version was great and not bad in any way, it was definitely more hi-fi sounding but at the expense of feeling more clinical like the effect was on top of my guitar signal and not immersed within it. The CE-1 mode was interesting, I haven’t fully explored it yet. More grit to the effect and a more 70s than 80 sound. The additional tremolo CE-1 mode was really tripped out in an interesting way.

Anyway, I can see use for both of them if you really want the authentic 80’s sound with the original CE-2 (it had THAT tone). Or something close enough with the addition of the CE-1 sounds as well as the modern, cleaner signal.

Last edited:
To me, one is best for strumming and chords while the other is best for arpeggios and single line runs.

Sold my Arion Sch-1 and EHX Small Clone after getting a Boss CE-2. Love it. Haven't tried a CE-1.
i’ve owned 3 ehscs, 3 arions, 2 tc scfs and 3 ce-2s

even between different versions of the same pedal there were radical differences in tone.

my current mij sch-1 sounds great and beat out my ce-1 and ce-2 and tc scf to a point where i sold those and kept the little old arion.

i had a sri lanki sch-z that didn’t sound as rich and headroomy, and the vertex landau modded one that sounded great but not as deep and fat as my original.

Back