Buyer wants a return and requesting full refund. Help!

Metalhex

So I sold an LTD Arrow on Ebay in mint condition. (No case). I wrapped it in multiple layers of bubble wrap. Forst I wrapped small bubble wrap wrapped around once, then I wrapped it again with larger bubble wrap, folding over the corners of the points for extra cushion.
20231219_004012.jpg

Multiple layers of different sized bubble wrapped folded over the points and taped. I took this pic prior to putting it in the box.

Before I put it in the box I cut 2 pieces of 2 inch thick foam approximately the size of the box opening, and stuffed it down to the bottom, to protect an end of the guitar from damage.

i proceeded to put it into a box in which the guitar fit snuggly inside the box with about 2-3 inches of space from the tip of the guitar to the edge of the box's folding flaps. I stuffed that end with the other piece of 2 inch foam..I was sure everything was secure in the sense that both ends were protected with multiple layers of bubble wrap plus the foam. I also folded larger pieces of foam and stuffed it down in the box to protect the neck on both sides. I was certain this guitar was not going anywhere! Even of the guitar did bounce around, the points would have been protected by the foam, if the bubble wrap did not suffice.. I packed it better than how I received it from Sweetwater that's for sure!

Well now I got an email saying my funds are on hold and the guy sends me pictures of the two points being chipped off, and said that there was no damage to the box, thus indicating that the guitar was packed poorly. He said the points broke off inside the bubble wrapping. I thought I packed that guitar really fucking good. It doesn't look like much in my picture but the bubble wrap is on really thick.
RtnDownloadFile.jpg

Here is his picture. He could've taken it out of the packing and dropped it on the floor for all I know..

So what do i do? Hes requesting a full refund. Am i assed out 800 bucks now?? Geez Merry Christmas huh?!

Last edited:
I’m no help as to what you should do but I think the buyer dropped it and is looking for an easy way out

Thats what I'm thinking. I packed it so well that it just can't be true that it got damaged inside the bubble wrap. Ebay has buyer protection money back guarantee, so I'm assuming that he will win regardless and get his money back, and I will get my now damaged guitar back that will have to sell at half that price, because this guy is a fucking idiot?

Since Ebay doesn't have human phone operators anymore, I dont think i have anyone to even state my case to, or have a voice.

This is part of the reason I stopped using certain selling platforms. Sellers have zero protection and get screwed over more times than not. I truly hope it works out for you but you should brace for the worst.

No way I’d taken the risk and packed that on my own during Christmas expecting insurance to pay out if it was broken, which is a huge risk with no case at all during the holidays.

You file a claim with the shipping company, but since they didn’t pack it, I’m not sure your chances.

If I was selling that on eBay I’d bought a case, added it to the price, and then let your carrier pack it if shipping during the holidays no matter how shitty of a job they do. That way if it’s broken you’re covered for a full refund.

I’d also never use stiff styrofoam in a single ply box. Bubble wrap and a second surrounding box full of packing peanuts. I’d also double boxed it with even more bubble wrap around the first box. I’d use corner stiffening support on the second box.

Sorry OP. The only thing you can do is issue a refund and file a claim. Next time never sell without a hardshell case and let a carrier pack a pointy high risk item so insurance chances are in your favor.

Last edited:
It's possible the buyer dropped it, but maybe not. Points on guitars like that break off if you stare at them too hard too. Even though there's no obvious damage to the box doesn't mean it didn't slide and stop short. That could have caused the guitar to shift inside enough to break it without damaging the box. Not saying you packed it poorly, just thinking of a plausible situation and shit happens.

I think @glpg80 is right and you should have bought a case and double boxed it, especially around this time of year. The regular staff is bad enough and carriers hire temp people with zero training to keep up with Christmas packages. Recipe for disaster with something expensive and/or fragile.

Adding to that, it doesn't hurt to take a shit ton of pictures as you pack things in case something like this does happens.

Best you can do now is refund the money, file a claim with the carrier, and hope for the best. At the very least consider it lesson learned. I whish you luck in getting everything straightened out.

I'd not be so hasty to make the buyer out to be a scumbag. Seen a number of those threads where it was a public lynching, with everybody being wrong in the end. You made it as secure as you could but pointy guitar, no case, seems like a lot could go wrong there.
Come guys ! we have to do that---It's RT !!

Sorry, OP. That sucks. I agree with the others though that it could very likely be damage in transit. V-style guitars are primarily what I play, and I won't buy ANY guitar online that doesn't ship in a hard case.

I never ship without two rigid containers around a guitar, with at least one of them being the case. There has to be enough protection that no external pressure makes it through to the guitar, but there has to be enough "give" to absorb shock so the guitar isn't getting battered about every time the box does. Sometimes they go through hell, and the outside of the box seldom tells the whole story.

You can go for a damage claim with the carrier. It can be tough with self-packed, just be prepared to make your case and be persistent. If it's denied, then appeal. I'm not sure about eBay, but I've seen Reverb eat the loss for something the seller was denied a claim on. Good luck!

It doesn't take much pressure to break those tips off. Doesn't really matter how much padding you have on the tips if there is any chance of any force being applied to the tips. Without a case, the only way to pack that and ensure those tips don't break, is to suspend them in a way that there is zero pressure on them. The guitar can't shift at all in the box and must be immobilized by packing tightly in other locations rather than the tips. It's a difficult thing to do. I definitely wouldn't assume the buyer damaged it.

Even if he dropped it, it’s unlikely that you’ll win any sort of claim with PayPal/Reverb/eBay. It sucks but this is likely going to be a loss for you. The system fucks sellers.

Even if he dropped it, it’s unlikely that you’ll win any sort of claim with PayPal/Reverb/eBay. It sucks but this is likely going to be a loss for you. The system fucks sellers.
Is that really true? If it’s documented as intact when shipped then that only leaves the carrier and seller potentially at fault. And if the seller says he didn’t drop it, then that leaves the carrier, who should cover it if insured, right? I might start adding a “Seller not responsible for damage incurred in shipping” clause…

Is that really true? If it’s documented as intact when shipped then that only leaves the carrier and seller potentially at fault. And if the seller says he didn’t drop it, then that leaves the carrier, who should cover it if insured, right? I might start adding a “Seller not responsible for damage incurred in shipping” clause…
I have found it true more often than not. For example, I sold an amp and buyer paid PP G&S. After he received it he stated it was damaged and filed a claim with PP. I provided numerous pictures and messages from the buyer basically stating he just didn't like the amp and wanted a refund. He provided zero proof to PayPal yet they still took his side and he got a refund. He shipped the amp back to me and I resold it 2 weeks later. There was nothing wrong with it. He just had buyers remorse and used PayPals buyer protection to get a refund.

I have found it true more often than not. For example, I sold an amp and buyer paid PP G&S. After he received it he stated it was damaged and filed a claim with PP. I provided numerous pictures and messages from the buyer basically stating he just didn't like the amp and wanted a refund. He provided zero proof to PayPal yet they still took his side and he got a refund. He shipped the amp back to me and I resold it 2 weeks later. There was nothing wrong with it. He just had buyers remorse and used PayPals buyer protection to get a refund.
Does PayPal automatically debit your account? What payment options are there where you control the transaction, IE where you decide the terms?

I thought it would be fine since I bought it from SW without a case and came to me fine. Sounds like I'm SOL.

What is usuall6 the refund protocol? I refund him and he sends it back? There's a chance it can get more damage on the return..

I'm not sure what you mean by "clean the points".

You live and you learn I guess but this sucks!

Back