Calling old-school module modders - SL2 to SL2X?

Bucksears

Back in the module game!
Just got my MOD50 yesterday with T/D, VX and SL2 mods. I had the SL2X previously and that was my go-to one for Marshall stuff.

Looking through all of the 'legacy' posts regarding the 'X mod', I'm trying to nail down the big difference between the SL2 and SL2X.

My newly acquired SL2 has:
C1 (tube board) - 100pF silver mica cap
C5 (main board) - 1000pF film cap
C18 (main board) - EMPTY

From everything I've read, it looks like I need to add a 471 (470pF) ceramic cap in the C18 position.

Can anyone confirm?

bruce egnater wrote:
It is very simple to change your SL2 to a SL2X. You must change two parts on the circuit board. Any tech with good soldering skills can do this.

Change C5 from .001u to 680pF (tightens low end)
Change C18 from NO PART to 470p (add high end)

Nice to see module talk making a coming back!

Those are great modules to start off with, covers just about everything. I have the SL2 and like it as it is, but It would be cool if you can make the "x" mod switchable.

your spot on with the parts and their location. Added just a tighter bass and a bit more grit to the top end.

Not adding anything - just wanted to take part in an old-school Egnater module thread again.

[edit: if memory serves me, 500v was minimum. Ok, so I did contribute after all.]

Here are some shots of my SL2X that I "experimented" with...

17595856071_685f005d67_c.jpg

17408240310_14965ca1bf_c.jpg

17595791065_cf52245f31_c.jpg

webrthomson":310od6eo said:
Nice - what are the mustard caps? SoZo's, Mallory's or something else?

They're Mojotone Dijon. I've also used Mallory's on a B'man and liked the results a lot.

Been having some family stuff going on and a refi on my house, so I finally got around to doing the X mod last night.

Man. I can't imagine going back to the standard SL2. It's just 'rock' all over.
I've got a fresh set of EL34s that I'll see about installing tonight, but the X mod on the SL2 alone just made my 50 a killer four-channel amp (T/D, SL2X).

Back