Captor 8 Ohm XLR level

KingBee

I am wondering of the XLR output of the Captor 8 is a Line level signal or an Mic level signal? The reason I am asking is because my interface manual says "Do not connect a +4 (line level) XLR cable to the inputs (because of the preamps)."

What device are you using? Some devices offer dual-inputs, the XLR portion is phantom powered, whereas the same input offers TRS and its passive line level.

Mo

Thanks Mo, my interface is a MOTU M4. I'd like to use the XLR out of the Captor 8 with the built in Guitar IR as well as the line out into the other input with a dry signal so I can add another IR of my own.

Thanks Mo, my interface is a MOTU M4. I'd like to use the XLR out of the Captor 8 with the built in Guitar IR as well as the line out into the other input with a dry signal so I can add another IR of my own.
Nice unit - just checked it out online, sweet looking interface!

I ran over the specs - I'd opt to use XLR to TRS cables and run them into the rear Line Inputs (L) (R)/Inputs 3 & 4 to keep the cables away and clear from the front end. XLR end fits the CaptorX, and the TRS end for the rear of the MOTU unit. I'd personally save the front combo inputs for mics/instruments etc as they offer phantom power, pad, etc - so you'll likely wanna tweak those more often then not. I've found with the CaptorX, going in set up and left alone, there's little left to do at the I/O level other than perhaps software/GUI levels or whatnot.

So in short? Go for it - XLR (if ya have them) to TRS - CaptorX to MOTU M4 - rear panel line inputs. Save the front end for more finnicky inputs and then use the MOTU software to assist with routing with your DAW.

Done.

Cables can be found on Amazon or your local music shop - balanced XLR to TRS - a pair of those and you're set.
Cheers
Mo

Aye, Thanks Mo!

I have one of those cables, I'll try that out. I appreciate all your help. Unfortunately, I only have the Captor 8 ohm (no X), but hopefully someday. 🤞🏼

Aye, Thanks Mo!

I have one of those cables, I'll try that out. I appreciate all your help. Unfortunately, I only have the Captor 8 ohm (no X), but hopefully someday. 🤞🏼
Absolutely - apologies - I thought it was the CaptorX as that's been the bulk of ?'s here lately.

I see *exactly* where in the manual (cited below for reference) it states "Do not connect a +4 (line level) XLR cable to the inputs (because of the preamps). Use a quarter-inch input instead." This is where that "combo jack" thing comes into play - and that goes for the front inputs; you can use XLR-XLR if it's a mic; but if you wanna use your Captor with the front input you need an XLR for the Captor side, and a 1/4" TRS for the MOTU side. That's all it is. Combo sockets expect XLR-XLR to be mics and therefore not line level, whereas a TRS can be line level, and combo sockets are called that for a reason 😉

Again, out of personal preference, I'd just opt to use the rear input(s) TRS sockets on the MOTU for the Captor and keep your front panel clean for whatever else you may wanna use the primary inputs on the front panel for.

Link:
Page 17 in MOTU manual discusses inputs

Back