Celestion and eminence speaker pairing

Mindys87

Hey. I'm thinking about experimenting with some speakers. I have evh 2x12 cabinet with v30 and g12t75. My amp is ceriatone molecular so it's based on jcm800 with some tweaks. I think i'm not satisfied with this speaker combination with this amp. Before i had two g12h30 speakers in the cab and my tone was tighter and had more bottom end, good for metal stuff, but it's not as open as with v30. When i tried v30 and g12h30 together i couldn't hear much difference than with two v30's. I was reading good things about eminence gb128 and was thinking if it should work together with g12h30? Maybe someone had this combo? Basically i want marshall amp to sound more round, tighter and to tame those high mids. In my opinion v30 is bad speaker with marshall amps, because of upper mids overload. Or maybe i should get two eminence gb128? Appreciate any opinion!

The Celestion Creamback 75's are warmer than the V30's and without the upper mid spike of the V 30's and the Creamback 75's are also a very articulate tight speaker and do so pair well with the V 30's

Sorry as I know very little about Eminence speakers except the ones I have played I didn't care for.:dunno:

The Celestion Creamback 75's are warmer than the V30's and without the upper mid spike of the V 30's and the Creamback 75's are also a very articulate tight speaker and do so pair well with the V 30's

Sorry as I know very little about Eminence speakers except the ones I have played I didn't care for.:dunno:
Thank you! Yeah, i allways have creamback in my mind, but can't try them anywhere and not sure if they will be much different from v30, youtube videos don't do it justice. You think creamback is smoother sounding?

Well compared to the Celestion V30's they are warmer . They are still tight and articulate but with out the upper mid spike as there's a bit more of a low mid thing going on but they are not like a buttery smooth low end say like a G12 H30 which I myself don't like but many do.

Well compared to the Celestion V30's they are warmer . They are still tight and articulate but with out the upper mid spike as there's a bit more of a low mid thing going on but they are not like a buttery smooth low end say like a G12 H30 which I myself don't like but many do.
G12H30 to me seems much more agressive in lows and highs than v30, much tighter. If creamback has these qualities and a little more midrange ir seems like it's the most balanced of all three.

Wow I never thought the G12H30 was a tight sounding speaker myself but it has been probably 10 years since I owned a cab with them but I remember them being quite smooth and loose on the low end.

Wow I never thought the G12H30 was a tight sounding speaker myself but it has been probably 10 years since I owned a cab with them but I remember them being quite smooth and loose on the low end.
:D i don't know then. Maybe it's different g12h30. I have anniversaries.

I don’t consider the CB 75’s to be warm at all. They have a lot of sizzle in the presence. The V30 has thicker mids, but I’d say the V30 is warmer. Mine are old ones from the 90’s, made in England. Comparing to the Chinese V30 is a different story. Those are not warm. Very bright. Closer to the CB75, imho.

I don’t consider the CB 75’s to be warm at all. They have a lot of sizzle in the presence. The V30 has thicker mids, but I’d say the V30 is warmer. Mine are old ones from the 90’s, made in England. Comparing to the Chinese V30 is a different story. Those are not warm. Very bright. Closer to the CB75, imho.
As I watched zilla channel comparisons between them, creamback was allways much warmer. And not only in zillas channel, seems like much more balanced. But i don't get which v30's are made in england and which in china. Some people say that only v30's that mesa uses are made in england and others are made in china, but my v30's from orange 2x12 cab are made in england, atleast there's sticker that says this and same story with my g12h30 speakers from evh cabinet.

As I watched zilla channel comparisons between them, creamback was allways much warmer. And not only in zillas channel, seems like much more balanced. But i don't get which v30's are made in england and which in china. Some people say that only v30's that mesa uses are made in england and others are made in china, but my v30's from orange 2x12 cab are made in england, atleast there's sticker that says this and same story with my g12h30 speakers from evh cabinet.
Which CB you referring to? There are two. The CB65 definitely sounds warm to me. But I’ve had the CB75, and it’s very bright. Lots o sizzle.

My exact total opposite experience. Creamback 75's are brighter and tighter than V30's. Less upper mid spike, but more actual highs. A lot more, TBH.

This is exactly how I describe CB75 as well. A V30 attitude in terms of aggressiveness without the mid hump.

I think G12H30 x CB75 would be a pretty badass combo.

I had good luck running splawn small blocks X V30s. The small blocks are eminence made and a high power greenback G12M variant. They have insane low end and low mids, and are very relaxed in the mids and highs which made them a great match to V30s. I really miss that combo to be honest, it was nuts.

Eminence GB128 - 101.3 sensitivity
Celestion V30 - 100 sensitivity

If 3 dB doubles the perceived sound, I see a problem.

Oh yeah, creambacks? They do not all sound the same. I have some 1974 creams that scream! Nothing mellow about those speakers, brighter than the sun.:cool:

Eminence GB128 - 101.3 sensitivity
Celestion V30 - 100 sensitivity

If 3 dB doubles the perceived sound, I see a problem.

Oh yeah, creambacks? They do not all sound the same. I have some 1974 creams that scream! Nothing mellow about those speakers, brighter than the sun.:cool:
The transition from 0dB to 3dB isn’t linear, it’s logarithmic. 1.3dB is in-perceivably close and considered matched.

Just want to mention, eminence speakers like WGS just don’t hold up like Celestion, EV, and JBL under high volume. If you mix them with Celestion you’ll notice this if you put serious volume to the cab.

Back