Celestion Greenback paired with G12H-30?

Chris O

Anybody around here done this? I have a Boogie Halfback 4x12 that had a pair of G12H-80’s (90’s actually) and a pair of Mesa Black Shadow Vintage 50’s (by Eminence). One of the 80’s was dead, and the VS speakers basically aren’t even there, so was thinking about maybe throwing some Avatar Hellatone 50’s or a pair of G12H-30’s in the lower closed part of the cab. I want something smoother than V30’s, but also a lower powered speaker, since it’s just home use.

Anyone pair the GB with the G12H-30? Thoughts?

Yep it works fine, although the H30 is generally a bright, efficient speaker so it will dominate the G12M.

looks like I won’t need to follow through on this little experiment, as another set of Greenbacks from another Vox 2x12 just popped up locally, so I’ll have a full G12M-loaded cab! Not gonna say I’m all that disappointed about that…. 😉

I tried the 6402 GB’s top Heritage G12H30’s bottom for a while and it was ok…
But, Discovered I hate mixing speakers.

I personally like this pairing, at least in a full mix setting. The warmer, chewy mids of a G12M and the more pissed off, toothy, tighter vibe of an H30 (55hz) work great together IME. I'll mic an H30 blackback for crunchy/heavy rhythm tones and then a G12M greenback for the leads.

Got everything switched and wired up last night, and while I was able to run loud, I found that it definitely woke the cab up, and so far, I’m pretty pleased. This will probably be my last 4x12, so I’m going out on a good note!

I tried the 6402 GB’s top Heritage G12H30’s bottom for a while and it was ok…
But, Discovered I hate mixing speakers.

My OCD makes it tough for me to mix-n-match as well! It’s probably for the best that I have a set of 4, or I’d be constantly listening for something that I probably wouldn’t care about if I had not known they were different…

Back