Celestion Lynchback demo, is it better than V30's?

c_tecks

I'm demoing all Celestion speakers I own (currently 11).
This week it's the Celestion Lynchback.

The Lynchback is a modern sounding speaker, great for high gain but somewhat darker than most speakers.
I'm not entirely sure if this speaker is still made, it looks like they don't sell it anymore, although it's still listed on the official Celestion website.

I had a pair of Lynchbacks for awhile. They’re not bad. I just preferred my RI Greenbacks, English V30’s, and Redbacks over them. The Lynchbacks are very unique sounding. They’re dark, but they have bite. They produce a kind of “dry” quality in the tone.

Ive had the lynchbacks in a 4x12 more than once , lol. I didn't think they were "bad" I just thought the mids were a bit weird and yes they are dark. Sorry not the best description but I also like V30s and greenbacks more

I think dealers can still get them from Celestion, but I don't think it's something they stock regularly, at least not in the states. Eventually my Vintage 30s were broken in enough that they ended up sounding like what I was hoping the Lynchbacks would have sounded like. Tamed the mid spike a bit and softened the high end.

Yeah I notice a unpleasant aggressiveness in the mids of V30s that smooths out once they break in. They become a little sweeter

I think dealers can still get them from Celestion, but I don't think it's something they stock regularly, at least not in the states. Eventually my Vintage 30s were broken in enough that they ended up sounding like what I was hoping the Lynchbacks would have sounded like. Tamed the mid spike a bit and softened the high end.

Unfortunately, Celestion ceased production of the Lynchback some time ago. My rep says there are none in stock through Celestion. Some old stock may be available through a few retailers, though. After that, used will be the only option.

Although they weren't in circulation very long due to Lynch suffering from EndorseAnything-itis, the Eminence Super V sounds better balanced to my ear with some V30 characteristics and I guess Fane characteristics though I've never played a Fane. I have two of them. Nice detail and crispy top but still raw.

It's a speaker I've always wanted to try. Kinda like what a T-75 should be, IMO. It's too bad they only made them in 8 ohms.

Great speakers, but only 8ohm version is handicap for most 4x12 users. I had pair and they worked absolutely perfect for Engls amps (Savage120), Darker sound charakteristics fits overly saturated Engl distortion and make it a lot fuller.

I have 4 lynchbacks .
I agree they are a dark speaker.
I wanted to pair them with 70th anniversaries or 75 watt cream backs.
I have creambacks.
Just have not paired them yet.

I have a quad of Lynchbacks in my BX cab that I use with my RT modded Marshall. Makes a great pair and just seems the more I play them the better they sound. Some of the darkness has either gone from them or I'm just use to them by now.

Back