Clip of the 22 watt 6V6 Quick Rod

That's HOT man!

You should post that and a NAD thread in the main forum :yes:

Eh, I'll just keep it here for the Splawners.. LOL No need to subject the rest of the forum to my hack playing! LOL

The video makes it sound somewhat thin, with more high end than what you actually hear in the room with it. But I'm sure the mic on the phone isn't the best, and I was running it fairly loud. I don't know if you can tell from the video after it had been processed through youtube and all, but on the original vids on my computer you can see the phone would vibrate pretty good when the more percussive stuff would kick in. Even at those settings, it was moving some air! LOL

Head was set on full power, gear one, with the gain on about 2pm on the dial. Mid switch was down, and on the "new" setting. Volume at about 11am the front panel, and the loop master and about half way up. That vid was done with one of my Warmoth guitars, alder chambered body with a Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. Then neck p/u was on for some of the stuff where I rolled back the volume. I played it some more after I did the vid, with another Warmoth (archtop Soloist) with swamp ash/maple top and a single humbucker (Dimarzio Tone Zone) wired direct to the pot. That time, I left all the EQ and gain/volume stuff the same but with the mid switch up and old switch up and it sounded even better to my ear.

IMG_20211002_130910545_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211002_130924161_HDR.jpg

Cool!!! sounds awesome as I expected it would.
I tend to leave it in "OLD" all the time now unless we're doing some of the 70's stuff I don't play lead on.
on my head it just makes it sound thicker and ballsier.
We do some Bad Company, Atlanta Rhythm Section , Frampton and Foreigner stuff that I don't play lead on and I switch it back to new
for that stuff, sounds a little more open and more "polite" in "New" :)

Last edited:
Cool!!! sounds awesome as I expected it would.
I tend to leave it in "OLD" all the time now unless we're doing some of the 70's stuff I don't play lead on.
on my head it just makes it sound thicker and ballsier.
We do some Bad Company, Atlanta Rhythm Section , Frampton and Foreigner stuff that I don't play lead on and I switch it back to new
for that stuff, sounds a little more open and more "polite" in "New" :)

That's my experience as well. Much more thick and "liquidy", if that's even a word. LOL I need to try several different guitars with it too. I learned that lesson from the KT88 Nitro. First thing I plugged into it was the EVH Bumblebee and I was ready to can that amp. I was so disappointed, but plugged a different guitar into it and it made ALL the difference. I havne't touched that Bumblebee since, but I need to try it with the 22 watt Quickrod and see what happens. If it sounds like crap, then I'll need to check out that guitar for issues.

Very cool man!!!

Ya know I had a gig last night (Street Rod) and listening to myself I thought things sounded a bit thin on my solos. I then realized I should probably run my gain a little higher and just did a tonal experiment here at home and took it from 1:00 to 2:30ish just a hair over what you have. Voila, just what I needed. That seems to be the sweet spot. Noon to one is just not enough for classic rock.

Oh, just FYI, your channel volume is up pretty high (11:00ish) that will reduce the effectiveness of the solo boost if you plan on using it. much above 9:30 and it starts to degrade the solo boost.

Very cool man!!!

Ya know I had a gig last night (Street Rod) and listening to myself I thought things sounded a bit thin on my solos. I then realized I should probably run my gain a little higher and just did a tonal experiment here at home and took it from 1:00 to 2:30ish just a hair over what you have. Voila, just what I needed. That seems to be the sweet spot. Noon to one is just not enough for classic rock.

Oh, just FYI, your channel volume is up pretty high (11:00ish) that will reduce the effectiveness of the solo boost if you plan on using it. much above 9:30 and it starts to degrade the solo boost.
Interesting find as you ran the gain higher. I noticed the same thing. I ran my gain lower, but boosted the pre with an OD (TC Big Spark) & eq'd in the bass a bit.

Then I ran the gain higher around 1:00 and backed off the bass & the gain to 0 on the Spark & that did make it fuller.

What Gear & OD do you run?

Interesting find as you ran the gain higher. I noticed the same thing. I ran my gain lower, but boosted the pre with an OD (TC Big Spark) & eq'd in the bass a bit.

Then I ran the gain higher around 1:00 and backed off the bass & the gain to 0 on the Spark & that did make it fuller.

What Gear & OD do you run?
I'm usually on Gear 1 OD1. Be aware that the solo boost will (secretly) use OD2. Gear 2 is a little too bassy for me and Gear 3 is great for some applications but a little much for a lot of what we do.

Edit: Yeah I've got a Tumnus in front just in case (gives me more oomph for leads if I want) but I generally leave it off since I bounce back and forth between clean/dirty on some songs and having an extra OD to turn off is just too much tap dancing for me!

Back