Considering ordering some Mullard reissue CV4004 tubes

  • Thread starter Thread starter BABMusic
  • Start date Start date
I just had 3 of them crap out in my Diezel Einstein after five years of steady use. I was told it may be due to wall voltage spikes though so who knows. I almost always prefer JJ12AX7 for high gain with some beefy bottom end. The China branded 12AX7s in my Mk1 SLO are really good too tho. The CV4004 is exceptionally quiet, but not my first pick for the V1 stage of an amp.
 
I just had 3 of them crap out in my Diezel Einstein after five years of steady use. I was told it may be due to wall voltage spikes though so who knows. I almost always prefer JJ12AX7 for high gain with some beefy bottom end. The China branded 12AX7s in my Mk1 SLO are really good too tho. The CV4004 is exceptionally quiet, but not my first pick for the V1 stage of an amp.

Yeah, once I heard that they are made in the same factory as EH tubes and Tung Sol, I kind of lost interest. I can't imagine they would be that different from those others.

That leaves me with either going with some kind of Chinese tubes (which I do have some that are labeled Mesa tubes) or NOS. NOS sounds like the best option, but they ain't cheap.
 
Yeah, once I heard that they are made in the same factory as EH tubes and Tung Sol, I kind of lost interest. I can't imagine they would be that different from those others.

That leaves me with either going with some kind of Chinese tubes (which I do have some that are labeled Mesa tubes) or NOS. NOS sounds like the best option, but they ain't cheap.
Yep Im considering some old RCA/Mullards myself. Tbh, new preamp tubes have gotten so expensive the cost margin is a lot smaller than it used to be. EHX are alright, but not as good for high gain as JJs. I used to have Nos Mullards/IEC in a Matamp that I loved. Not all Chinese tubes are the same. I despise PSVane, but the unbranded “China” ones Mike used are terrific.
 
I have a bunch of NOS Mullards available if anybody's looking. I haven't tried the reissues though. I've been impressed by the new-production Ruby 12AX7AC5 lately.
 
I have a bunch of NOS Mullards available if anybody's looking. I haven't tried the reissues though. I've been impressed by the new-production Ruby 12AX7AC5 lately.
You are doing God's work making those available here. :rock:
 
Was wondering if it was worth it buying the CV4004 tubes as I've read those are less likely to be microphonic. The plan is to to use these for V1 and V2 in my Friedman. The CV4004 are only slightly more expensive than the 12ax7, but I was wondering if there really is much difference in tone and microphonics. Any of you guys have experiences with them? Just looking for something different than just JJ tubes. Don't like EH very much for preamp and don't like Tungsol.
Been rolling tubes for some time but just recently got my hands on some mullards cv4004 and the 12ax7/ecc83. The later is a long plate design, like the sovtek lps. It works really well in the PI position for me, for when I want something with thicker mids than the sovtek lps in the PI position.
the CV4004 is a nice v1 tube, like a thicker, darker, smoother tung sol with the mids shifted more towards low mids. Sounds really good when used with shuguang 12ax7 in v2 and v3.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top