Diezel VH2 vs D-Moll vs something else?

T00DEEPBLUE

So I recently bought a Diezel VH2 and I'm now returning it back to Thomann.

I was expecting to absolutely love it but as soon as I plugged it in it sounded tubby, boxy and the treble sounded like a blanket had been thrown over the amp. The low strings on channel 2 almost sounded like a gated fuzz. There was no way to adjust the mids to get it to stop sounding either boxy or lifeless. Not even plugging an MXR 10-band EQ in the effects loop and going for the most drastic settings that pedal is capable of could save it. Its almost as though the amp is broken or something but I have literally no idea. Nor should I be expected to fix anything on a brand new amp that's still within the return policy.

My EVH 5153 absolutely annihilated it tonally in every possible way. Sounded epic by complete contrast. Massively disappointed at how shoddy the VH2 performed.

I'm running an Orange PPC212 cabinet. The British-made oversized closed back one with 8-ohm V30's. Every 5150-type I've ever plugged into that cabinet has sounded awesome. I also have a pretty elaborate pedalboard to further augment the tone. But no matter what pedals I ran in front of the amp the VH2 consistently disappointed.

One of the other amps I was thinking of trading the VH2 for was the D-Moll. If the VH2 sounded like ass through my rig, is it likely the D-moll would suck too?

I have literally no way to try any of these amps out before buying them. The closest UK retailer that carries Diezel amps is more than 300 miles away. Hence why I'm asking here.

I was also thinking of not buying a Diezel at all and buying something like an ENGL Powerball. Would this be a better bet given my terrible experience with the VH2?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to say with regards to the VH2 experience - many players have bought it for the simplicity and access to what it offers - a grinding Schmidt style Ch.1 with a bit more hair available, and the iconic VH4 Ch.3 tone with some left and right on its Ch.2

Do you like Diezel tone overall?? Cuz it is a unique breed and flavour to be sure.

That said, the D-Moll is an incredibly versatile amp. It's got a lot going for it - it's nuts!! The cleans, awesome - but love how they get some teeth. Ch.2 is amazing, and Ch.3 is sick for leads. Drop the midcut into the scene and Ch.2 and Ch.3 become serious metal/NIN/scooped balls out heavies while still holding onto a respectable amount of low-end. I see the D-Moll as Herberts lil' brother, without the extra heft of extra tubes - but all the versatility (bear in mind I've not tried the Mk.III). But I love my D-Moll, and it could easily be a "one Diezel amp to own" if one were so inclined.

Search my posts for the D-Moll comparos and descriptions. I was duly impressed when I plugged that baby in and she's still getting lotsa love for all manner of playing and *still* holds that signature Diezel tone across the sonic spectrum. And don't let the headshell size fool ya, this amp is massive - the trannies, the power, the options - it's absolutely nuts.

/2 cents

I was expecting to absolutely love it but as soon as I plugged it in it sounded tubby, boxy and the treble sounded like a blanket had been thrown over the amp. The low strings on channel 2 almost sounded like a gated fuzz. There was no way to adjust the mids to get it to stop sounding either boxy or lifeless. Not even plugging an MXR 10-band EQ in the effects loop and going for the most drastic settings that pedal is capable of could save it. Its almost as though the amp is broken or something but I have literally no idea. Nor should I be expected to fix anything on a brand new amp that's still within the return policy.

My EVH 5153 absolutely annihilated it tonally in every possible way. Sounded epic by complete contrast. Massively disappointed at how shoddy the VH2 performed.

I'm running an Orange PPC212 cabinet. The British-made oversized closed back one with 8-ohm V30's. Every 5150-type I've ever plugged into that cabinet has sounded awesome. I also have a pretty elaborate pedalboard to further augment the tone. But no matter what pedals I ran in front of the amp the VH2 consistently disappointed.

One of the other amps I was thinking of trading the VH2 for was the D-Moll. If the VH2 sounded like ass through my rig, is it likely the D-moll would suck too?

I have literally no way to try any of these amps out before buying them. The closest UK retailer that carries Diezel amps is more than 300 miles away. Hence why I'm asking here.

I was also thinking of not buying a Diezel at all and buying something like an ENGL Powerball. Would this be a better bet given my terrible experience with the VH2?

Thanks.

The D Moll I had was low mid dominant with a very round attack on the lows/low mids and very sluggish in low end response. Don't know what kind of music you play, but if it's anything where you need a fast attack with a very tight immediate low end response, I would look elsewhere. Almost any ENGL would be much better in that regard.

Do you like Diezel tone overall?? Cuz it is a unique breed and flavour to be sure.
I adore the tone of them on records and all the demos I've heard of the VH2 sounded spectacular. But as soon as I got mine it sounded absolutely nothing like the demos I heard. Literally no idea why. All of other amps sound great through my rig, makes no sense to me why the VH2 sounded so bad. But at any rate I sent it back.
The D Moll I had was low mid dominant with a very round attack on the lows/low mids and very sluggish in low end response. Don't know what kind of music you play, but if it's anything where you need a fast attack with a very tight immediate low end response, I would look elsewhere. Almost any ENGL would be much better in that regard.
I'm interested in tight modern metal tones with a tight, thumping low end, a snarling, angry midrange and a crisp, defined high end. Hence why I love my 5153 so much. But I've owned that amp for more than 6 years now and haven't bought another amp since. It gets boring after a while.

You say that the attack of the D-moll is slow and saggy? Could it be tightened with an OD up front like a 6505 or a dual rec? Because if so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

I adore the tone of them on records and all the demos I've heard of the VH2 sounded spectacular. But as soon as I got mine it sounded absolutely nothing like the demos I heard. Literally no idea why. All of other amps sound great through my rig, makes no sense to me why the VH2 sounded so bad. But at any rate I sent it back.

I'm interested in tight modern metal tones with a tight, thumping low end, a snarling, angry midrange and a crisp, defined high end. Hence why I love my 5153 so much. But I've owned that amp for more than 6 years now and haven't bought another amp since. It gets boring after a while.

You say that the attack of the D-moll is slow and saggy? Could it be tightened with an OD up front like a 6505 or a dual rec? Because if so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

I boost everything and tried 5-6 different ODs out front of the D Moll and it was a no go for me. Still had this inherent round/tubby low end response and an overall low mid oriented voicing. The Herberts I've owned were better but still have that Diezel low end that to me is slow in the attack. I wanted to love Diezel, but the 4 I've owned I flipped really fast.

Not trying to say they're bad amps, but not right for me at all.

I don't find it slow or saggy - but this is where personal opinions come into play. We all hear differently - we all play differently - so there is no right answer. I find most Diezels to be tighter than a toads ass - but still versatile and warm when properly worked with the pots and hand technique. Diezels tend not to like active pups or high-output pups - again - just IME. They like to do the heavy lifting of the tone - so feed them accordingly.

This is the Diezel forum.
I am a monster fan and player of all things Diezel.
So it's with respect I say - definitely try a Fryette UL or D60 before looking for more expensive amps. From the description you just gave?? Fryette might just be the ticket :thumbsup:

Vh2 and even 4 I find react so differently to ever cab . I hated my Vh4 until I ran it through a Diezel cab

Run mine through a couple UberKabs as first choice, after that, the FL-K100 Diezel 412. No regrets.
I ran mine through my uberkab. It just was not right for me . I run my wizard though my uberkab and it’s great . But I just could not my Vh4 to get right . My ears are probably fucked up lol

Thanks.

Hi DeepBlue do you have an email address or something? there's something I wanted to share with you on this thanks!

Hi DeepBlue do you have an email address or something? there's something I wanted to share with you on this thanks!
Hi David. I'm not sure how helpful I can be at this point as I returned the amp 4 days after getting it and it's been a couple of months since then.

I've got an ENGL Savage 2 on order now. :cool:

Just to tell you that I have got your returned head in a minute (the only Bstock available at thomann) with a super-offer price!

It had no issue at all and it is super tight and 100% Diezel sound. Sounds 98% like VH4.
I come from an Engl powerball, which is close to your EVH in terms of philosophy

The point I think you faced, like me at day one, is just that Engl/EVH are super easy heads to manage, whereas Diezel are extremely sensible and transparent (even for a small changes of the setting). For instance, my sound was fuzzy at the beginning (like yours I understand) and I had to push a bit down my guitar pickups because I used to keep them very close to the strings. It changed the world completely (in better)!

The Engl just hides a lot of mistakes (in the sound, in the rig setup and in the playing also) but is far less sensible, versatile and professional.
But is a nice amp for the cost. So enjoy it and let us know.

Last edited:
Glad you like the VH2. I don't miss it.

It had nothing to do with sensitivity or transparency. It just sounded bad no matter what I did. Doesn't matter how versatile it is when the tone was garbage practically everywhere. The EVH completely steamrolled it as I've said before. Even after EQ'ing the VH2 to death.

🤷‍♂️

@T00DEEPBLUE, How are you liking the Savage Mark II? I have both the VH2 and Savage II and love them both....cant decide which one I like better. However, I do know what you mean about the VH2 having a boxy, blanketed sound to it. I was able to dial it out with the Mesa 5 band eq and love the tones I get from it now. The ENGL Savage is just a beast. More gain on tap for the lead channel than one needs but that's not a bad thing. I think the only issue I have with the Savage and this could just be my setup is if I turn up the gain passed 2:00 and use active pickups, I will pick up radio station signals (especially if I get close to the amp head) lol. It goes away when I engage the noise gate but is funny at times. Anyways, the Savage is a good choice if you don't like the VH2.

Funnily enough I picked up an EVH5150IIIS EL34 in January, and I'm thinking of moving it on because I don't dig the tone. I find it boxy sounding and the low-end isn't strong enough for me. It's kinda too metal, if you know what I mean.

@T00DEEPBLUE, How are you liking the Savage Mark II? I have both the VH2 and Savage II and love them both....cant decide which one I like better. However, I do know what you mean about the VH2 having a boxy, blanketed sound to it. I was able to dial it out with the Mesa 5 band eq and love the tones I get from it now. The ENGL Savage is just a beast. More gain on tap for the lead channel than one needs but that's not a bad thing. I think the only issue I have with the Savage and this could just be my setup is if I turn up the gain passed 2:00 and use active pickups, I will pick up radio station signals (especially if I get close to the amp head) lol. It goes away when I engage the noise gate but is funny at times. Anyways, the Savage is a good choice if you don't like the VH2.
I adore the Savage 2. Has so many killer tones in it and the clean channel is crystal clear has an immense amount of low end, high end and headroom.

I didn't have an issue with my Savage being particularly noisy. It certainly wasn't picking any radio stations up.

I think the gate in the Savage is a nice idea in theory but in practice its no replacement for a real gate like a Fortin Zuul or a TC Sentry or something. It gets the job done when you stop playing but it doesn't track the guitar very closely. It must be one of those types of gates that are tied to the effects loop but doesn't detect the guitar signal before the preamp either. So the inherent compression of the guitar after it is amplified and distorted by the preamp physically limits its capabilities of tracking very accurately. Oh well.

Another thing I've found about the savage 2 is just how much of a difference the channel volume settings make to the tone. The higher they're turned up, the slower and sludgier the tone gets and the lower they're set, the tighter the amp gets but the more cold and sterile it becomes. So you need to balance it like an EQ control. The problem with that is the level of the preamp also sets the level of the effects loop. So the higher up you set the channel volumes, the more likely any effects in the effects loop are going to distort. So it can be kinda picky about what effects in the loop work properly. If in doubt, run pedals in the loop that can take line level or run off 18v power.

Back