Diezel VHX - Built In Attenuator

FLUXX

Hi Folks,
I've been spending a lot of time at my studio over the last 3 weeks, deep diving my VHX.

One of the coolest things I've learned is that there is a "Built-In Attenuator".

On the Preset Manager page (push Knob #4-Preset Knob),
the Global Master parameter control can drop -12db (0-10)

I measured it with a db meter 3 feet away from my rig, with the VHX Master Volume at 9pm
9pm, Global Master at "0" read 104.5db average
9pm, Global Master at "-10" read 92.5db average

Way cool, Diezel!
Hoping a future update might even allow for more attenuation (-25db) :)

Anyone needing to keep it low, but retain that amp "feel" with their VHX, can do it easily with this feature.
In fact, my tone sounds similar to when I use my Captor X to attenuate my amp (-20db).

Anyone already using the Global Master to Attenuate their VHX?

Last edited:
It is indeed a simple loop attenuator that doesn't change impedance like the master volume pot would, so the tone would be closer because the pot is not moving.

This gives way better results than any external attenuator because Diezels doesn't rely on Poweramp to generate distortion.

Also it helps because the master volume knob will be much easier to adjust for lower level.

Still at very very low volume there is a big difference because of speakers, they need energy to move air, and there is nothing that can reproduce the same sound at different level using the same speaker/cabinet, plus ears won't compress sound so it will be perceived as less gain and more scooped in a way.

Wow so tone still sounded good? I need to try this.

I have been using a Bugera PS-1 with the VHX as I did with my VH4 since I have neighbors lol

Also it helps because the master volume knob will be much easier to adjust for lower level.
@Leo Diezel that is music to my ears as I always felt with the VH4 and VHX it went to too low.... to BOOM! Too loud. Going to try this.

It is indeed a simple loop attenuator that doesn't change impedance like the master volume pot would, so the tone would be closer because the pot is not moving.

This gives way better results than any external attenuator because Diezels doesn't rely on Poweramp to generate distortion.
thanks Leo, I tried 2-3 Attenuators on VH4 and VHX, and honestly said its not an improvement.... same effect with lowering master on the VH4 from my perspective, perhaps even worse...

thanks Leo, I tried 2-3 Attenuators on VH4 and VHX, and honestly said its not an improvement.... same effect with lowering master on the VH4 from my perspective, perhaps even worse...
I can't speak highly enough of the Bugera PS-1 Power Soak. Ever try it? Love it on my VHX and when I used my VH4.

Just spent the last day and a half at my studio with my VHX.
I'm playing an Ibanez RGD2120Z six string guitar, in D standard tuning, with an EMG-81X bridge pickup, into a Line 6 Relay G10S wireless, into the VHX, through one 2x12 with G12K100 speakers, and one 2x12 with V30s. It's a wall of sound.

I set the VHX's Global Master to "-6" (with Master Volume set to 9pm). That attenuator works.
It really saved my ears, and it sounded great! Nice response, pristine tone, addictive feel......honestly, it was really hard to stop playing and go home.

I also had time to test out my Line 6 POD Go in the VHX Pre-Loop, and the stomps in the POD Go really affect the tone nicely, and comes out of the VHX totally 3D! The Pre-Loop is a really clean signal

I also set up my Ground Control Pro CC Toggles, so I can toggle all the VHX's effects on and off, and turn on the VHX's Pre-Loop when ever I want. I set buttons 7 & 8 of the GCP to toggle the VHX's +3 Boost (midi CC #6). What a cool feature!!
The midi control of this amp is top notch.
I'm hoping to use my VHX at it's first show this month. It's really simplified my live setup.

I'm so in love with this amp. At Friday's band rehearsal, I will be testing different VHX Preamp Shapes on our songs. Hoping to find some places to use that sweet saggy Hagen CH 3 tone (Blue, Classic, 2), and some thick Herbert CH 3 tones too (Red, Classic,1)!

Just spent the last day and a half at my studio with my VHX.
I'm playing an Ibanez RGD2120Z six string guitar, in D standard tuning, with an EMG-81X bridge pickup, into a Line 6 Relay G10S wireless, into the VHX, through one 2x12 with G12K100 speakers, and one 2x12 with V30s. It's a wall of sound.

I set the VHX's Global Master to "-6" (with Master Volume set to 9pm). That attenuator works.
It really saved my ears, and it sounded great! Nice response, pristine tone, addictive feel......honestly, it was really hard to stop playing and go home.

I also had time to test out my Line 6 POD Go in the VHX Pre-Loop, and the stomps in the POD Go really affect the tone nicely, and comes out of the VHX totally 3D! The Pre-Loop is a really clean signal

I also set up my Ground Control Pro CC Toggles, so I can toggle all the VHX's effects on and off, and turn on the VHX's Pre-Loop when ever I want. I set buttons 7 & 8 of the GCP to toggle the VHX's +3 Boost (midi CC #6). What a cool feature!!
The midi control of this amp is top notch.
I'm hoping to use my VHX at it's first show this month. It's really simplified my live setup.

I'm so in love with this amp. At Friday's band rehearsal, I will be testing different VHX Preamp Shapes on our songs. Hoping to find some places to use that sweet saggy Hagen CH 3 tone (Blue, Classic, 2), and some thick Herbert CH 3 tones too (Red, Classic,1)!

Awesome! I just started using the attenuator and love it.

I was away on business and did not play for about a week. Cam home and jammed... wow the VHX sounded so delicious. I still cannot get over how amazing this amp is yet how little it is not promoted. @Leo Diezel ;-)

@FLUXX any chance you can make a video tutorial how to set it up as a FX pedal board? I have a GC Pro as well but always looks like rocket science haha
Also top secret.... Shape 0 set to Vintage is GOD mode. :cool:

It's really easy to do, Sean.

First step: Set the Ground Control Pro to 4 Preset Mode:
1. On the GCP Press both "Setup" buttons at the same time
2. Press "Utility" button
3. Press "Select" button
4. Press "Yes" button to change to "4 Presets"
5. Press "Edit" button
6. Press "Yes" button to save

Second Step: P:rogramming buttons 1-8 to Midi CC Functions
1. Open the VHX Manual to Page 15 on your phone or computer
2. On Ground Control Pro, Press both "Setup" buttons at the same time
3. Press "Instant Access" button
4. Press "Yes" button until display shows: CH01 CTL004 (means Instant Access button #1 controls Midi CC #4)
5. Use the "Cursor" buttons to move to the Midi CC #'s and change the CC number to the Effect you want to toggle On/Off
(I set Instant Access button #1 to Midi CC#17 to toggle the VHX's Pre-Loop)
6. Press "Select" button to move to program next Instant Access Button
7. There are 8 slots to put Midi CC Toggles into the 8 buttons (I set them up to toggle IAB2 = Effect 2, IAB3 = Effect 3, etc....
I set both IA buttons 7 & 8 to Midi CC#6 to toggle on the +3db Boost
8. When you are done programming all 8 buttons, Press the "Edit" button
6. Press "Yes" button to save it all. You are done!!

I found the GCP much easier to program than the Helix.
I also decided to name the Presets on the GCP by Bank/Patch (ex: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, etc......25C is the 99the Preset on the VHX)
That took the longest to do, but wasn't too bad. Got sick of looking at "INIT" on every GCP preset.

Used the GCP with my VHX at rehearsal tonight. Worked to perfection!

Wow man, thanks so much! Going to copy and paste these into a document as you make it so simple and straight forward. So are basically picking 1-2 of the VHX voicings and then using all the commands to add FX on and off? Or are you also changing voicings?

Thanks!

My pleasure. I want you to be able to have these cool functions. You had the Ground Control Pro working with the VHX, and I wanted something that definitely worked with the VHX. So I bought a GCP and it's really easy to program. Additionally, I've actually got a Mission Engineering SP-1 Expression Pedal coming to utilize the excellent Wah on the VHX. I had a chance to test it on my Helix as the controller, and the Wah sounds great!!

All I use the Midi CC Toggle buttons 1-8 for is turning Off and On FX.
FX1 is always Gate for me, even if it's turned OFF.
FX 2 is usually a MOD
FX 3 is usually a Delay
etc...

There's no way to change Voicings with the GCP yet, just by knob turn on the VHX amp face.
Speaking about Voicings and Shapes, I have been playing around with those lately,
and making notes of combos to try on different songs at rehearsal next week.
Really liking Shape 2 (Hagen) for certain lead tones.
And the Vintage Voicing is growing on me!

My pleasure. I want you to be able to have these cool functions. You had the Ground Control Pro working with the VHX, and I wanted something that definitely worked with the VHX. So I bought a GCP and it's really easy to program. Additionally, I've actually got a Mission Engineering SP-1 Expression Pedal coming to utilize the excellent Wah on the VHX. I had a chance to test it on my Helix as the controller, and the Wah sounds great!!

All I use the Midi CC Toggle buttons 1-8 for is turning Off and On FX.
FX1 is always Gate for me, even if it's turned OFF.
FX 2 is usually a MOD
FX 3 is usually a Delay
etc...

There's no way to change Voicings with the GCP yet, just by knob turn on the VHX amp face.
Speaking about Voicings and Shapes, I have been playing around with those lately,
and making notes of combos to try on different songs at rehearsal next week.
Really liking Shape 2 (Hagen) for certain lead tones.
And the Vintage Voicing is growing on me!

Thanks again!
Yeah I am not a lead player at all so I am all about Shape 0 Vintage, Classic or early. He Hagen, shape 2 is very creamy and buttery for leads for sure.
I have not touched my VH4 since I got my VHX and I could care less about trying to nail the VH4, Herbert or Hagen tones... everyone is right... the VHX really is it's own amp.

Never knew about this one, and it's fantastic!
I usually play at about (preset) volumes 5-10 to keep it low and polite for the rest of the house, with the Master at about 9:30ish so if the house is empty I can just crank up the preset volume and it roars. No fluffing around with the Output master's sweet spot.
Using the Global and dropping it an extra -6 or -10 still sounds brilliant and gets me down to about 68dB. :cool: That goldilocks zone.

Great work Leo and crew!

Last edited:
This is really an amazing feature, I love my VHX now even more (if that´s even possible) :)
@Leo Diezel - Would it be possible to attenuate another 12db ? that would be glorious for late night rock star evening shows at home :cool:
thanks in advance for considering this !

Back