Differences in BE100 build changes.

Tone Junkie

Seen a few posts that say certain years have a different tone or gain structure.

Just curious from anyone who has owned one or any information on the changes.

I think everything prior to 2016 is the same.. post 2016 there were some changes to the negative feedback, capacitor brand, and preamp voltages?.. not sure if there were more changes, I think the transformers went back to hebeor.

My 2009 Marsha is darker, smoother, has more gain, and is compressed more than my 2019 BE-100 Deluxe. Just crank the treble to 7-8 and the presence to 6 on the Marsha and you'll be close to where the new ones are.

I owned a lot of these. I had some at the same time to compare and they were all so close that its hard to know.

Marsha - Plexi headbox build. Handwired point to point board. Different transformers. Vintage caps. Simple clean. Vintage sounding but still has the friedman twist. Im skeptical of how many 100w marshas exist. I was told 3 but it seems there may be a few more? I think he basically hand picked parts for these to get what he wanted.
Older BE100 - square light. It was on a point to point layout, not like the new ones. Not sure about transformers but I think the caps were mallory?
Newer BE 2018 - Had TAD power tubes. This one sounded more refined and smooth. I assume it had synergy caps. I dont remember if the NFB was 4ohm or off the output.
BE 100 DLX - Whole different amp to me. Cant compare.
JJ - Different.
SS - Different but my favorite all around marshall style amp that I have.
JCM 800 vintage kitchen sink - HBE and BE. Depth pot. More aggressive and more marshall sounding.
JCM 800 2203x modded - hbe, be, fixed depth. This one sounded the best for a mix of marshall and friedman smoothness. It was the best of both worlds. I still own it but its up for sale because I have the SS and Marsha.

Back