Digitech drop pedal... any live users ?

Thank you everyone for your replies and info. Definitely gonna look at both products and see if I can justify getting the whammy DT or just need the DT pedal.

Most of the time I wouldn't go past half a semi tone.. but we've been wanting to try out some tunes that are tuned to standard D (low D dropped to C)..

Again.. many thanks everyone. 🤘🏻
My large boards just automatically get a DT put on it. I've also been guilty of trying to squeeze one onto my smaller boards where I know the smaller Drop would fit better.

After a few times of having my e-flat guitar on and all other guitars in their cases and need to work on a song in standard, but I'm using a Drop pedal and can't do it, I really lean toward the DT.

If only the smaller Drop pedal also included the ability to go up as well.

But with the DT you get all that and a lot more. The Whammy side brings it. Lead to Killing in the Name Of? Check. Lead to Clean My Wounds? Got it. Cheesy simulation of the intro organ part tor Mr Crowley? Hell yeah. Just getting started.

I'm a big fan of both pedals. I think I have 3 DTs and 2 Drop pedals on various pedalboards. All my boards get one or the other. The DT always preferred if space allows.

Last edited:
Just to confirm, the DT or DT Whammy pedals go first or relatively first in the chain after the guitar... correct?

That's correct. I have my tuner first, DT second.

On one of my boards I have tuner in front and another behind the DT. That method takes all the guesswork out of what tuning is coming in to the pedalboard and what tuning is going out.

Comes in handy especially when you still use multiple guitars in multiple tunings. You might have say 2 guitars. One in standard, and one in drop d that you also use for a few drop c songs.

At home you practice the set list songs in their original tunings, but with the band you play everything a half step down.

This can get confusing. Inevitably someone will be out of tune. They grabbed the wrong guitar, or their Drop pedal is on the wrong setting. Who is it and which is it?

You can quickly rule yourself out(or not)! Almost guaranteed it's the bass player.

I’ve been using mine live for 3 or 4 yrs to drop an extra 1/2 step to be full step down for Crue and a couple other songs. No complaints.

I have not seen a whammy dt. That’s the best of both worlds to me. I’m waiting in breathless anticipation for your review my friend…
BEHOLD...

1696884507701.png

It's exactly the reason why I got that one. Wanted the Drop pedal and also wanted the whammy. Figured 2-in-1 is a better deal.

Used it many times for up to one whole step down when there were a handful of songs that needed it. Tiny bit of latency but you wouldn't notice live. Any more than a whole step started to get weird for me.

Used it many times for up to one whole step down when there were a handful of songs that needed it. Tiny bit of latency but you wouldn't notice live. Any more than a whole step started to get weird for me.
Thanks. That'll be part of my testing. Luckily we only play in standard and half step down.

I’ve used it live for doing stuff that’s a half step down and it’s great for that. Have used the octave down setting a couple times for fun.

When setting up for a gig I accidentally hit the switch that toggles momentary vs latching and didn’t test it before I used it. Yeah, I was a half step off from the band for the first verse. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ve ALWAYS checked it after that!

I had one for a couple of weeks, sold it because there was a hum that became very annoying when using high gain. Tried it with 4 of my amps and had it with all of them. Tried it at home and in my rehearsal space. It was the only pedal that gave me this hum. I bought it second hand so maybe there was something wrong with my unit....

It’s the only digital pitch shifting/detune I’ve used that sounds decent. Also I don’t care what Line 6 says, the shift in the Helix is absolutely not the same as the Drop pedal.

I’ve used it live for doing stuff that’s a half step down and it’s great for that. Have used the octave down setting a couple times for fun.

When setting up for a gig I accidentally hit the switch that toggles momentary vs latching and didn’t test it before I used it. Yeah, I was a half step off from the band for the first verse. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ve ALWAYS checked it after that!
I'll keep that in mind. haha

I had one for a couple of weeks, sold it because there was a hum that became very annoying when using high gain. Tried it with 4 of my amps and had it with all of them. Tried it at home and in my rehearsal space. It was the only pedal that gave me this hum. I bought it second hand so maybe there was something wrong with my unit....
Interesting. Did it introduce hum even when it was bypassed?

Agreed with others have said- it's great live for the handful of tunes in Eb so I don't have to have a dedicated guitar.

The octave is cool too- I use it for the first solo in Prince's "Let's go Crazy" and it's perfect. Before everyone gets worked up, we also cover Van Halen, Journey, Crue, Kiss, etc. 😊

I do notice a bit of latency and high end roll off, but live it's tolerable.

Question... does the Digitech Whammy DT work with a Boss PSA series adapter? I think its 500mA 9V, but mainly the adapter barrel cable end.

Thanks

It should work, but the whammy DT should come with its own power supply. According to the manual it should be in the box.

But if yours is missing, the Boss PSA 120S should work. It has the standard polarity center negative barrel and plenty of ma and it puts out DC just as the whammy dt requires.

You can ignore the power requirement printed on the pedal. 1300ma. Woah.
Screenshot_20231017-072251_Firefox.jpg

Their own manual says different saying 288ma.
Screenshot_20231017-072910_Firefox.jpg

When I was researching the actual power requirements a couple years agos I found this on the voodoo labs forum. Sadly, that forum doesn't seem to exist any longer when I just searched for it. I'm glad I saved this screenshot. It says actual current draw is less than 250ma according to voodoo lab tech support.
Screenshot_20231017-073357_OneDrive.jpg

Last edited:
Back