Dino 939 on the bay, right now for 300€!!!!

To all who intend to place a bid - just to have you informed:

This amp is NOT a DINO 939, it's a DINO 937 /w the face plate of a DINO 939
Ask the seller for the serial # of the amp! It's # 92037937
- the last 3 digits of the serial # is the indicator of the type
- the first 5 digits indicate, when the amp was finished, day & year - this is your guess ;)
- the channels are: California Clean (w/o SRV crunch mode); British Crunch (w/o J.S. HotRod mode); Scream*
- yes, you've read CORRECT! - the amp doesn't have the British HotRod mode, what's known as "The Jon Schaffer Sound"*
- if you'd see a more accurate photo of the rear panel, then you'd see, that there's only one set of the Bite & Punch controls (for the Scream channel)*
- and the amp is technically regarded in a very bad shape

Check my technical report of Jan 19th 2011, as the owner has brought this amp to a shop, who's sent it to me - and I hope, that you all can read German :confused: :D

There were a lot of recommendations, but the owner tried to save costs, so I've only swapped in a quad of EL34's and have adjusted bias.
And even the EL34's I've used were the cheapest available at that time, no =(C)= as I've recommended, even no JJ's, because I've had the order "as cheap as possible"!

I've sent the amp back still making horrible noise, because he didn't want to have the preamp tubes swapped, not to mention, to have the amp's circuit updated.

Concerning the possibility of an update, this amp only can be updated to the state of Jan 2005, because this amp still is built on solder strips and not already on eyelet boards (like you can see on my website), what I've started first in February of 2005

So don't complain later, I haven't warned you! :)

Larry

(*) Sorry, this is some misinformation, what I've corrected in my post 7 post later. Check it!

Attachments

• 110119 Befund DINO 937.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,215
Very commendable thing to do, what Larry just did. I am not sure I have ever seen an amp builder on here giving a full disclosure and "buyer beware" appraisal like that of a product.

:thumbsup:

Steve

steve_k":1urvx4cu said:
Very commendable thing to do, what Larry just did. I am not sure I have ever seen an amp builder on here giving a full disclosure and "buyer beware" appraisal like that of a product.

:thumbsup:

Steve

I never have..... Good Job Larry!! :rock:

Very commendable. Says to me that Larry is a standup, no BS person. Someone I like to do business with.

Thanks for the flowers, guys! :)

But shit, I have to correct one misinformation of my post above:

The type 937 DOES HAVE the British HotRod mode, the British channel is front & foot switchable between Crunch & HotRod mode.
It's been the types 933 & 935, which haven't had this feature - and I just have checked my old notes, to fresh up my memory.
So the only difference between the 937 and the 939 is, that the 937 doesn't have the SRV crunch mode in the California channel.
Yeah, it's been during the 90's, as I've still offered the 'cost saver types' DINO 933, 935 & 937 besides my flag ship DINO 939
Since March 1999 only the type 939 went out of my hands and I haven't offered the 933's, 935's & 937's anymore.

But anyway, the British & Scream channels of the pre 2005 DINO's are different to the current version.
The British & Scream channels of the 90's DINO's are way different to the current version.
And even since I've switched to eyelet boards, other component brands & other transformers for my DINO amps in Spring of 2005, there meanwhile were 3 updates of the circuit and again one change in the design of the transformers & choke.

The amp on eBay is from 1997, finished on the 203-th day of 1997 - check the serial #
Shure, this amp will become a really great sounding amp, when the updates are done and good preamp AND power tubes are swapped in, but it won't become 'state of the art' ;)

Sorry for the confusion! I've marked my misinformation in the post above.

Larry

Btw: Jon's main DINO heads, which he has on tour now (see the attached photo) are both eyelet DINO's from 2005 & 2006 - the 2005 w/ 3 updates, the 2006 w/ 2 updates meanwhile - the last updates I've made in Oct 2011, as IE has been rehearsing in Karlsruhe just before the world tour was kicking off.

Attachments

• 200_3507.jpg
    200_3507.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 200_3510.jpg
    200_3510.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,321
Good to see you Larry :)

Drop me an email when you get a chance. "My full name" @ hotmail.com

My preamp is lonely. You know what I want ;)

G

hoss33":1pev9l5g said:
I really hope Larry wins the auction to buy it back and overhaul it.
Haha, no! I haven't placed a bid on this amp and it's really not my intention, to buy back & overhaul my amps from 15 years ago.

The interesting thing is, that this amp hasn't dropped too much in value over the 15 years.
The price of the DINO 937 in 1997 has been 5,700DM - the winning bid is 2,062€ what is ~4,000DM

4,000DM for an amp w/o any update & service over the last 15 years, just a quad of cheap-o power tubes recently.

Poor winner :confused:

Larry

I was into the auction and might have gone to the price that it just went for...then I read your post yesterday.

Those are some great amps you build there Larry :thumbsup: I've heard great things about them.

Just wondering if you could tell us what Marshall cabs John is using in the picture you posted or more importantly what speakers they are loaded with. That would be great!

The Euro is not as high as it was a while ago so your amps are getting within reach for some of us. Yeah :rock:

loudgtr":1nujrbd5 said:
... if you could tell us what Marshall cabs John is using in the picture you posted or more importantly what speakers they are loaded with.
You won't believe it, but Jon is using 300W cabs loaded with T75's - already always, he's never switched to other cabs.

Larry

Back