Do different cap types sound different?

SpiderWars

Of course they do! This video gives some insight why. I was specifically looking at the difference between silver mica and ceramic disc in guitar amps and why they sound so different. Here you go.

Also, he says you shouldn't use ceramic disc in audio but that's coming from a 'distortion-is-bad' mindset. In the guitar amp world, ours ears perk up when someone says 'distortion'. We're always chasing good distortion and wanting to get rid of bad distortion...whatever those are.

For me, I can't really tell any difference between using vintage Mustards, Orange Drop or Xicon types in my old marshall. I used all three in the past for repairs and mods & they all sound the same to me in my amp.

Reactions: Geo
I played with the treble peaker on a Marshall 2204 and was shocked that I could tell the difference between a ceramic 470pf cap and a silver mica 500pf cap. The silver mica seemed woofy and fizzy. Ceramic was great.

100% there is a difference. I can fine tune an amp after it’s built by changing capacitor types, not values.

Ceramic caps absolutely are great for a guitar amps in certain places.

Back